Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Phil, Mar 1, 2004.

  1. Phil

    Phil Guest

    Spybot is an excellent choice to stop spywares from entering.

    Make a search or go to http://www.download.com

    Phil

    Ashraf, Mar 1, 2004

  3. Phil

    Harrison Guest

    Spyware Blaster - http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html
    Harrison, Mar 1, 2004
  4. Spybot - once it's running, DOES have the option of preventing new spyware
    from installing. They call it "Immunizing". Maybe the others do to.

    www.safer-networking.org

    Tim

    Tim-n-Puppies, Mar 1, 2004
  5. Phil

    °Mike° Guest

    To clarify what others have been saying, SpyBot Search
    and Destroy has an 'Immunize' feature, which sets a
    'Kill Bit' in the registry for certain ActiveX controls.
    SpywareBlaster does the same, but with a FAR larger
    database of nasties. Further, SpyBot S&D also has
    a Browser Help Object (BHO) that can be 'Installed',
    to prevent the download of known malware, adware,
    etc. So, you should use both SpyBot S&D and
    SpywareBlaster. None of the other generally recommended
    spyware removers (Ad-Aware, CWShredder, HijackThis)
    actually *prevent* stuff from being "planted" on your
    system.

    On 29 Feb 2004 19:59:36 -0800, in
    <>
    Ashraf scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Mar 1, 2004
  6. Phil

    sethra Guest

    (Ashraf) wrote in

    > Hi, I know there is software to remove spyware, but is there software
    > to stop spyware from being planted on your hard drive in the first
    > place. Once I run a spyware removal software, it's a mute point is it
    > not since most likely the spyware has already collected and sent
    > whatever information it was designed to find and send.
    > Thanks in advance

    Turn OFF ActiveX.

    Turn OFF javascript.

    If that breaks sites, find others with similar content, or put them in
    "trusted sites" once you know they're safe (your online banking, for
    example).

    Run a web proxy like The Proxomitron or Privoxy.

    Use a firewall, and learn how to set it up correctly.

    Both Spybot Search & Destroy and Adaware will either do real-time system
    scanning or set "kill bits" for certain ActiveX controls. Both programs
    are freeware, but I believe you might have to purchase the professional
    version of Adaware for the real-time scans.

    HTH,
    --
    ~sethra
    sethra, Mar 2, 2004
  7. Phil

    Spirit Guest

    sethra wrote:

    > (Ashraf) wrote in
    >

    >>Hi, I know there is software to remove spyware, but is there software
    >>to stop spyware from being planted on your hard drive in the first
    >>place. Once I run a spyware removal software, it's a mute point is it
    >>not since most likely the spyware has already collected and sent
    >>whatever information it was designed to find and send.
    >>Thanks in advance

    > Turn OFF ActiveX.
    >
    > Turn OFF javascript.
    >
    > If that breaks sites, find others with similar content, or put them in
    > "trusted sites" once you know they're safe (your online banking, for
    > example).
    >
    > Run a web proxy like The Proxomitron or Privoxy.
    >
    > Use a firewall, and learn how to set it up correctly.
    >
    > Both Spybot Search & Destroy and Adaware will either do real-time system
    > scanning or set "kill bits" for certain ActiveX controls. Both programs
    > are freeware, but I believe you might have to purchase the professional
    > version of Adaware for the real-time scans.
    >
    > HTH,

    I know this going to piss off alot of people, but I'm going to say it
    anyway.

    Macs aren't affected by spyware, nor they affected by the majority of
    viruses out there...

    However, Macs also only inhabit 3% of the marketshare which is a likely
    reason they aren't affected by most viruses. Let me also point out they
    are not invinceable.

    They also cost more than most pre-made PCs, and way more than white boxes.

    Anyway, if you want spyware off your system and want to keep it off
    permanently. Buying a Mac is the best way of doing so.

    Just a thought.

    ~S
    Spirit, Mar 2, 2004
  8. Phil

    rickAnthony Guest

    Yes, Spybot and AdAware6 both include an immunize function. They can prevent
    known spyware from installing, and you can select known spyware that you
    want to allow.

    rickAnthony, Mar 2, 2004