    Thanks for your time,
    JesterDev
    ~/|\~
    Lord Jester, Aug 19, 2004

  2. Lord Jester

    Tony Cortese Guest

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 17:37:54 -0600, Lord Jester wrote:

    > I loaded up my notebook about a week ago, and suddenly I had tons of pop up
    > windows, and before I knew it I had a desktop full of icons (links to
    > websites) and a few new programs. I cleaned most of it up with ad aware and
    > still get popups out of nowhere. I don't use IE (ever) but that's what the
    > popups are using. So I end up scanning daily to remove 20-100 more items.
    > And now ad aware tells me that I have more spyware that it can't remove
    > until I reboot, and after a reboot it does nothing.. These items are a few
    > dll's, and some exe files in program files/common files/wintools. But when
    > I reboot into dos they are gone.. Any ideas?? Please?
    >
    > I cannot directly delete them in windows I have tried. I am not a fan of
    > windows as it is, I am a Linux user, but my wife is not so I leave windows
    > installed on my notebook for her.
    >
    > Windows XP Pro SP2
    >
    > Thanks for your time,
    > JesterDev
    > ~/|\~

    It's odd that you have SP2 installed and you don't use IE.
    Install and run a bunch of antispyware like Pestpatrol, SpySweeper, adware,
    Spybit.. etc. This way you remove as many as possible.

    Tony Cortese
    --
    Send camera phone photos straight to your online photo album plus a loaded
    web hosting package for only $4.95/month - No other Fees
    Tony Cortese, Aug 19, 2004

  3. Lord Jester

    Buffalo Guest

    Try running the latest version of AdAware (SE Personal ver 1.03) with
    the latest def update, in Safe Mode.
    Also do an up to date ' virus' scan.

    Buffalo, Aug 19, 2004
  4. Lord Jester

    DC Guest

    Lord Jester wrote:
    > I loaded up my notebook about a week ago, and suddenly I had tons of pop up
    > windows, and before I knew it I had a desktop full of icons (links to
    > websites) and a few new programs. I cleaned most of it up with ad aware and
    > still get popups out of nowhere.

    I'm, like, *sooo* jealous. };O)

    > I don't use IE (ever) but that's what the popups are using. So I end
    > up scanning daily to remove 20-100 more items. And now ad aware tells
    > me that I have more spyware that it can't remove until I reboot, and
    > after a reboot it does nothing.

    Update Ad Aware to the latest version and try that. The engine has been
    updated recently.

    > These items are a few dll's, and some exe files in program
    > files/common files/wintools. But when I reboot into dos they are
    > gone.. Any ideas?? Please?

    > I cannot directly delete them in windows I have tried. [...]

    Google for wintools+spyware+removal for instructions.

    > I am not a fan of windows as it is, I am a Linux user,

    You know, they're right when they say that Linux isn't ready for
    prime time. I mean, we totally lack proper spyware and virus support!

    Unacceptable! }:O)

    > but my wife is not so I leave windows installed on my notebook for her.

    It's taken me a year, but I have my wife using linux for *everything*
    except MS Access (work). By next year, I'll have her tatooing Tux on
    her ass. };O)

    You just gotta ... /me looks over shoulder ... show 'em who's boss.

    > Windows XP Pro SP2

    HARF! Well, so much for that, eh! Trustworthy Computing, indeed.

    Some reading for you, once you've tidied up your little problem:

    http://news.com.com/Study: Unpatched PCs compromised in 20
    +minutes/2100-7349_3-5313402.html?tag=st.pop

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/4rvbf

    Hope this helps.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    DC, Aug 19, 2004
  5. Lord Jester

    Linda Guest

    >I loaded up my notebook about a week ago, and suddenly I had tons of pop up
    > windows, and before I knew it I had a desktop full of icons (links to
    > websites) and a few new programs. I cleaned most of it up with ad aware
    > and
    > still get popups out of nowhere. I don't use IE (ever) but that's what the
    > popups are using. So I end up scanning daily to remove 20-100 more items.
    > And now ad aware tells me that I have more spyware that it can't remove
    > until I reboot, and after a reboot it does nothing.. These items are a few
    > dll's, and some exe files in program files/common files/wintools. But when
    > I reboot into dos they are gone.. Any ideas?? Please?
    >
    > I cannot directly delete them in windows I have tried. I am not a fan of
    > windows as it is, I am a Linux user, but my wife is not so I leave windows
    > installed on my notebook for her.
    >
    > Windows XP Pro SP2
    >
    > Thanks for your time,
    > JesterDev
    > ~/|\~

    winxp sp2 has a popup stopper. control panel>internet options>privacy
    Bottom frame.

    --
    Hmmm, they've got internet on computers now. - Homer Simpson
    Linda, Aug 19, 2004