    application-based firewall like Sygate detect they are trying to call home?

    Thanks
    Billh

    billh, Jan 17, 2004

  2. billh

    Glenn Jarvis Guest

    billh wrote:
    > If I have spyware on my system and don't faithfully run cleaners like
    > Adaware etc how do they send info back to the mother site? Shouldn't an
    > application-based firewall like Sygate detect they are trying to call home?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Billh

    Just out of curiousity, why wouldn't you faithfully scan your system?
    All the junk just slows your system down. Not scanning your system as a
    part of routine cleaning, in my opinion, is just being lazy. No offense
    intended. Firewalls should detect if something is calling home. I know
    ZoneAlarm notifies you (if you have to set to tell you). Advanced
    Administration Tools from G-Lock Software is quite handy as well. It'll
    tell you what processes are currently running (I found a few hidden
    goodies that the scanners didn't pick up on). Best bet Bill, be safe. Be
    careful what you download. I have found some freeware that what full of
    spyware and installed without permission. Real headache to remove it
    later.(Needless to say, I don't download freeware anymore). Scan your
    system weekly, more often if you download and install stuff all the time.
    Glenn

    Glenn Jarvis, Jan 17, 2004

  3. Hi. The previous responder told you to scan your system regularly. I
    absolutely agree you must, but would like to go a little further.
    You also need SpyBot Search and Destroy (google for it) which is also free
    and regularly updated. These two programs find slightly different things. I
    think SpyBot is the more agressive of the two. It has the advantage of an
    "Immunize" function that will help keep stuff out of your machine in the
    background. You STILL need to log in and get updates to both of these
    regularly.

    Michael Hobbs, Jan 18, 2004
  4. billh

    Glenn Jarvis Guest

    Michael Hobbs wrote:

    > Hi. The previous responder told you to scan your system regularly. I
    > absolutely agree you must, but would like to go a little further.
    > You also need SpyBot Search and Destroy (google for it) which is also free
    > and regularly updated. These two programs find slightly different things. I
    > think SpyBot is the more agressive of the two. It has the advantage of an
    > "Immunize" function that will help keep stuff out of your machine in the
    > background. You STILL need to log in and get updates to both of these
    > regularly.

    Hi Michael,
    I also use SpyBot and AdAware. However, a screensaver I downloaded
    last week has a real sneeky way of installing malware without your
    permission or your knowledge. Neither SpyBot or AdAware could remove it.
    (Yep, I already told the folks at SpyBot about it). The only way I could
    find the junk and remove it was with the tools from GLock ,which showed
    the process running. Even Immunize didn't help in this situation. These
    malware setups are getting more intelligent... now, where's my
    flamethrower? :)

    Glenn Jarvis, Jan 18, 2004
  5. On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 22:39:08 -0500, billh wrote:

    > If I have spyware on my system and don't faithfully run cleaners like
    > Adaware etc how do they send info back to the mother site? Shouldn't an
    > application-based firewall like Sygate detect they are trying to call home?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Billh

    Even with aggressive Firewalling and AV, you need to run your malware
    search. Why? Because many of the spyware apps and cookies are monitoring
    your online activities. Your firewall may stop them from dialing home to
    mama, but what about when you've opened your browser - once you allow it
    online, then the cookies and any other attached process may be available.

    I run spybot after every browsing session, and it almost invariably finds
    things, some innocent, some not.

    Alfred E. Neuman, Jan 20, 2004
  6. Re: spyware question --immunize function?

    As to the responder just below who runs Spybot after every session with a
    browser and finds things... Doesn't the immunize function in Spybot prevent
    these problems? I keep Spybot updated, turn on Immunize and have had very
    little trouble nor has Spybot found much since....

    Michael Hobbs

    remove X's to reply

    Michael Hobbs, Jan 21, 2004
  7. billh

    Frode Guest

    Re: spyware question --immunize function?

    Frode, Jan 21, 2004
  8. billh

    sponge Guest

    "Michael Hobbs" <> wrote in message news:<byoPb.96$>...
    > As to the responder just below who runs Spybot after every session with a
    > browser and finds things... Doesn't the immunize function in Spybot prevent
    > these problems? I keep Spybot updated, turn on Immunize and have had very
    > little trouble nor has Spybot found much since....
    >
    > Michael Hobbs
    >
    > remove X's to reply

    SpyBot's immunize is pretty good, and SpywareBlaster nails some things
    SpyBot does (and vice versa). And, of course, Ad-Aware and CWShredder
    may also be necessary to identify all known threats or to remove some
    of the more stubborn ones. the moral of the story is, you need to use
    several tools, and follow up one scan or disinfection by another with
    anohter program.

    A lot of the warnings you are probably seeing in SpyBot are actually
    tracking cookies, which are set by sites you visit in your browser.
    You can prevent these by either using cookie-filtering software like
    Proxomitron, or, better yet, use a modern browser like Mozilla or
    Opera. These let you automatically delete cookies at the end of each
    browsing section when you exit your browser, with a simple adjustment
    to the settings. Then the cookies will not be saved to disk, and
    SpyBot will not flag them.

    Sponge
    Sponge's Security Service
    www.geocities.com/yosponge
    My new email is yosponge two at yahoo dot com Replace the two and
    space with the number.

    sponge, Jan 21, 2004