    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Thanks
    Alex
    Alex McKean, Dec 31, 2004

  2. Alex McKean

    Alex McKean Guest

    Additional info:
    I have looked in the RUN key of the registry and cannot fiure out where tis
    may be loading from.

    Thanks
    "Alex McKean" <> wrote in message
    > I'm running WinXP Pro and everytime the PC boots up, I get a drop down box
    > that says "Select Your Country" and some sort of sex thing running in the
    > taskbar. I have scanned for viruses, I have run Spybot and Adaware in both
    > normal and safe modes. Spybote finds stuff but will not delete it. I

    noticed
    > that everytime I boot up, there is a file in the root directory

    "124838.exe"
    > which appears to be the same one in my taskbar at startup. I can delete

    this

    Alex McKean, Dec 31, 2004

  3. Alex McKean

    mcp6453 Guest

    Have you done an online virus scan? http://housecall.trendmicro.com.
    mcp6453, Dec 31, 2004
  4. Alex McKean

    Alex McKean Guest

    Yes, I did. Found nothing.

    Thanks

    Alex McKean, Dec 31, 2004
  5. Alex McKean

    mcp6453 Guest

    Alex McKean wrote:
    > Yes, I did. Found nothing.
    >
    > Thanks

    You may need to go through Add/Remove Programs to see if there is
    anythign there that is not supposed to be there. Sometimes these
    programs install such that the spyware removal programs think they're
    supposed to be there. In other cases, the spyware programs cannot remove
    the programs because they are in use, which is what you may be
    experiencing. You may have to do some research to determine how the
    running program is listed in Task Manager, terminate it, and then delete
    it manually.
    mcp6453, Dec 31, 2004
  6. Alex McKean

    Terry Joyce Guest

    Alex McKean wrote:
    > I'm running WinXP Pro and everytime the PC boots up, I get a drop down box
    > that says "Select Your Country" and some sort of sex thing running in the
    > taskbar. I have scanned for viruses, I have run Spybot and Adaware in both
    > normal and safe modes. Spybote finds stuff but will not delete it. I noticed
    > that everytime I boot up, there is a file in the root directory "124838.exe"
    > which appears to be the same one in my taskbar at startup. I can delete this
    > file in safe mode, but it always comes back.
    > I hate to format this machine, but I'm about to give up.
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Alex

    You must use task manager to see what processes are running. You must
    look up each process on Google. There is a dropper that at boot looks to
    see if it's evil children are present. If they are not, it puts them
    back. Run Hijackthis.exe and get rid of suspicious entries (ie web
    redirects and processes that have no name or random name. It is like
    hunting for the head Vampire. You must kill it. Get Adaware SE, update
    it and run it in safe mode. It will try and hide. for example
    services.exe is OK service.exe is bad. You can do it. Be patient and
    thorough.
    Format is last resort
    Terry Joyce
    Terry Joyce, Dec 31, 2004
  7. Alex McKean

    Trent© Guest

    On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:08:08 -0500, "Alex McKean"
    <> wrote:

    >I'm running WinXP Pro and everytime the PC boots up, I get a drop down box
    >that says "Select Your Country" and some sort of sex thing running in the
    >taskbar. I have scanned for viruses, I have run Spybot and Adaware in both
    >normal and safe modes. Spybote finds stuff but will not delete it. I noticed
    >that everytime I boot up, there is a file in the root directory "124838.exe"
    >which appears to be the same one in my taskbar at startup. I can delete this
    >file in safe mode, but it always comes back.
    >I hate to format this machine, but I'm about to give up.
    >Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Alex

    Run msconfig...maybe you can see it there.

    If no luck...

    Get and run HiJack This.

    Pay-for program...get and run Pest Patrol.

    Good luck.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Jan 1, 2005
  8. Alex McKean

    WebWalker Guest

    On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:10:10 -0500, "Alex McKean"
    <> wrote:

    >Additional info:
    >I have looked in the RUN key of the registry and cannot fiure out where tis
    >may be loading from.

    Try to use RUN and type in "msconfig" (without quote).
    Disable whatsoever suspicious programs from the StartUp (tab).

    --
    WebWalker
    WebWalker, Jan 1, 2005
  9. Alex McKean

    me Guest

    > I'm running WinXP Pro and everytime the PC boots up, I get a drop down box
    > that says "Select Your Country" and some sort of sex thing running in the
    > taskbar. I have scanned for viruses, I have run Spybot and Adaware in both
    > normal and safe modes. Spybote finds stuff but will not delete it. I

    noticed
    > that everytime I boot up, there is a file in the root directory

    "124838.exe"
    > which appears to be the same one in my taskbar at startup. I can delete

    this
    > file in safe mode, but it always comes back.
    > I hate to format this machine, but I'm about to give up.
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Alex

    Also,use this link to check on what the various running processes are

    http://www.processlibrary.com/

    type in the name of the program and it lets you know if it is a goodie or a
    baddie basically.Very handy,i have used it to get rid of a load of unwanted
    crap that starts running on boot-up and eats RAM
    me, Jan 1, 2005
  10. Alex McKean

    Wizard Guest

    Look in installed programs for unrecognized stuff.

    Wizard, Jan 3, 2005