Spyware is prohibiting me from auto-updating my Microsoft software

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ng_reader, Jan 22, 2005.

  1. ng_reader

    ng_reader Guest

    I have some nasty version of spyware that all the free spyware programs
    (spybot, adaware, cwshredder, spyware-blaster) can't seem to irradicate.
    (people, if I'm using big words like irradicate - please accept that I am
    computer savvy enough to know about safe mode and stuff. Please, I'm smart)

    Perhaps the biggest problem (aside from incessant pop-ups and a 90% slowdown
    on CPU) is that my windows update mechanism is not working.

    Microsoft asks me to follow a knowledge base under article Microsoft
    Knowledge Base (KB) Article Q174360.

    However, that does not fix it.

    Anyone else in the same dilemma? It's especially frustrating.

    As I am posting this to WindowsME NG, that is the operating system. I
    realize it's going on 5 years old, but as it's not broken don't fix it - but
    does anyone believe that has anything to do with anything?

    Thanks in advance.

    mr curious

    ng_reader, Jan 22, 2005

  2. ng_reader

    mac Guest

    "ng_reader" <> wrote in message
    >I have some nasty version of spyware that all the free spyware programs
    > (spybot, adaware, cwshredder, spyware-blaster) can't seem to irradicate.
    > (people, if I'm using big words like irradicate - please accept that I am
    > computer savvy enough to know about safe mode and stuff. Please, I'm
    > smart)
    >
    > Perhaps the biggest problem (aside from incessant pop-ups and a 90%
    > slowdown
    > on CPU) is that my windows update mechanism is not working.
    >
    > Microsoft asks me to follow a knowledge base under article Microsoft
    > Knowledge Base (KB) Article Q174360.
    >
    > However, that does not fix it.
    >
    > Anyone else in the same dilemma? It's especially frustrating.
    >
    > As I am posting this to WindowsME NG, that is the operating system. I
    > realize it's going on 5 years old, but as it's not broken don't fix it -
    > but
    > does anyone believe that has anything to do with anything?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > mr curious

    Courtesy Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE:

    Download "Hijack This!" [freeware]

    Unzip, double-click "HijackThis.exe" and Press "Scan".

    When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log"
    button.
    Click: "Save Log" (generates: "hijackthis.log")

    Next, go to the below location:
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/

    Sign in, go to the "Spyware and Hijackware Removal" section.
    Press "New Topic", copy and paste hijackthis.log, into your new message.

    --
    Regards Steve.
    MS-MVP. IE/OE.

    mac, Jan 22, 2005

  3. ng_reader

    David Qunt Guest

    "ng_reader" <> squirted these wordjisms deep
    inside the bumtube of the newstwat in

    > I have some nasty version of spyware ............. irradicate ......

    Please, I'm smart

    *eradicate*

    --
    *********************************

    David Qunt, Jan 22, 2005
  4. ng_reader

    CJS Guest

    "ng_reader" <> wrote in message

    ....... spyware-blaster) can't seem to irradicate.
    > (people, if I'm using big words like irradicate - please accept that

    ......I'm smart)

    Perhaps your cesium pit's half-life has accelerated a bit and lost its
    'punch' - or you intended to use 'eradicate,' in which case your cesium is
    probably just peachy.

    Either way, we are in agreement. You are the smarty!

    CS

    CJS, Jan 22, 2005
  5. ng_reader

    Ionizer Guest

    "ng_reader" <> wrote in message

    > (people, if I'm using big words like irradicate - please accept that I
    > am
    > computer savvy enough to know about safe mode and stuff. Please, I'm
    > smart)

    Do you feel that your inability to spell big words like "eradicate"
    properly undermines the point you were trying to make, or was your point
    actually that you aren't "computer savvy enough to know about safe mode
    and stuff?"

    Just wondering,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Jan 22, 2005
  6. ng_reader

    Billy Guest

    "ng_reader" <> wrote in message
    > I have some nasty version of spyware that all the free spyware

    programs
    > (spybot, adaware, cwshredder, spyware-blaster) can't seem to

    irradicate.
    > (people, if I'm using big words like irradicate - please accept that I

    am
    > computer savvy enough to know about safe mode and stuff. Please, I'm

    smart)

    With an explanation like that, you may want to step off your high horse
    and realize that *you* are no where as *smart* as you think.
    How would one infer from your mis-spelling that you are computer savvey?
    A lot of the spyware programs isolate and/or eradicate found problems.
    It would be more logical to "ass u me" that you installed said programs
    after the fact. But I'll pretend to buy your declaration and assert that
    now would be the time to use your Backups, WinMe install disk, and the
    security updates disk (Feb 04) modified with current updates, to wipe
    and freshen your system.
    Have fun.

    > Perhaps the biggest problem (aside from incessant pop-ups and a 90%

    slowdown
    > on CPU) is that my windows update mechanism is not working.
    >
    > Microsoft asks me to follow a knowledge base under article Microsoft
    > Knowledge Base (KB) Article Q174360.
    >
    > However, that does not fix it.
    >
    > Anyone else in the same dilemma? It's especially frustrating.
    >
    > As I am posting this to WindowsME NG, that is the operating system. I
    > realize it's going on 5 years old, but as it's not broken don't fix

    it - but
    > does anyone believe that has anything to do with anything?

    Only the operator's habits and failure to protect his system.

    Billy, Jan 22, 2005
  7. "ng_reader" <> wrote in message
    >I have some nasty version of spyware that all the free spyware programs
    > (spybot, adaware, cwshredder, spyware-blaster) can't seem to irradicate.
    > (people, if I'm using big words like irradicate - please accept that I am
    > computer savvy enough to know about safe mode and stuff. Please, I'm
    > smart)
    >
    > Perhaps the biggest problem (aside from incessant pop-ups and a 90%
    > slowdown
    > on CPU) is that my windows update mechanism is not working.
    >
    > Microsoft asks me to follow a knowledge base under article Microsoft
    > Knowledge Base (KB) Article Q174360.
    >
    > However, that does not fix it.
    >
    > Anyone else in the same dilemma? It's especially frustrating.
    >
    > As I am posting this to WindowsME NG, that is the operating system. I
    > realize it's going on 5 years old, but as it's not broken don't fix it -
    > but
    > does anyone believe that has anything to do with anything?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > mr curious

    Windows Update Fails:
    Click on START and the RUN put in each line seen below and clicked on
    OK. (do each one line at a time)
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuapi.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuaueng.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\atl.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wucltui.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wups.dll
    Disable your anti-virus when obtaining the updates.
    Make sure that your firewall is allowing the connection to Windows Update .
    This would be on ports 80 and 443.
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
    If no joy - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
    Windows Update Checklist
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm
    This newsgroup is read by MS staff:
    WinXP:
    You receive error message 0x80070003 when you try to update Windows from the
    Windows Update Web site:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836949

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE, Jan 22, 2005
  8. ng_reader

    --Mike Guest

    "ng_reader" <> wrote in message
    > I have some nasty version of spyware that all the free spyware programs
    > (spybot, adaware, cwshredder, spyware-blaster) can't seem to irradicate.
    > (people, if I'm using big words like irradicate - please accept that I am
    > computer savvy enough to know about safe mode and stuff. Please, I'm

    smart)

    > Perhaps the biggest problem (aside from incessant pop-ups and a 90%

    slowdown
    > on CPU) is that my windows update mechanism is not working.
    >
    > Microsoft asks me to follow a knowledge base under article Microsoft
    > Knowledge Base (KB) Article Q174360.
    >
    > However, that does not fix it.
    >
    > Anyone else in the same dilemma? It's especially frustrating.
    >
    > As I am posting this to WindowsME NG, that is the operating system. I
    > realize it's going on 5 years old, but as it's not broken don't fix it -

    but
    > does anyone believe that has anything to do with anything?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > mr curious

    I recommend running TaskInfo. Run this while you are experiencing the
    pop-ups and/or your system is slowing down. TaskInfo will show you what
    processes are running, associated files and modules, and folder/file paths.
    It can also terminate processes, and you can watch a cpu usage graph which
    will show you changes in cpu usage as you are terminating different
    programs. It's very easy to use, and of all the free/free trial process
    explorers I've tried, this one is my favorite.
    http://www.iarsn.com/taskinfo.html

    --Mike

    --Mike, Jan 22, 2005
  9. ng_reader

    --Mike Guest

    "Billy" <> wrote in message

    > "ng_reader" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > > Perhaps the biggest problem (aside from incessant pop-ups and a 90%

    > slowdown
    > > on CPU) is that my windows update mechanism is not working.
    > >
    > > Microsoft asks me to follow a knowledge base under article Microsoft
    > > Knowledge Base (KB) Article Q174360.
    > >
    > > However, that does not fix it.
    > >
    > > Anyone else in the same dilemma? It's especially frustrating.
    > >
    > > As I am posting this to WindowsME NG, that is the operating system. I
    > > realize it's going on 5 years old, but as it's not broken don't fix

    > it - but
    > > does anyone believe that has anything to do with anything?

    > Only the operator's habits and failure to protect his system.

    Not necessarily. About the time that WinXP Service Pack 2 was released, my
    Windows Update function stopped working entirely. I have always manually
    logged into the update site (auto-update is turned off), run the scan, and
    installed any critical patches. Now, whenever I run the scan, I get nothing
    but an error message that says that the update site is busy. I have not
    been able to figure this one out. My system is completely clean, and I am
    running a store-bought version of WinXP.

    --Mike

    --Mike, Jan 22, 2005
  10. ng_reader

    heirloom Guest

    'savvey?'.........'irradicate?'............seems the spell checkers have
    been attacked by this invader of bits and bytes. Now to the serious part:
    With regard to your slowdown, get a good process viewer, there are a number
    of excellent free ones available, i.e. Process Explorer (new version
    released recently), from www.sysinternals.com . When things begin coming
    to a 'grind', use the process viewer to determine what is eating your cpu
    cycles. This particular viewer will show you ALL running processes and the
    amount of cpu cycles, in percent and real time, used by each. This should
    help you narrow down the culprit.
    Heirloom, old and can't spell aytnihng

    heirloom, Jan 22, 2005
  11. "--Mike" <> wrote in message

    > Not necessarily. About the time that WinXP Service Pack 2 was released,
    > my
    > Windows Update function stopped working entirely. I have always manually
    > logged into the update site (auto-update is turned off), run the scan, and
    > installed any critical patches. Now, whenever I run the scan, I get
    > nothing
    > but an error message that says that the update site is busy. I have not
    > been able to figure this one out. My system is completely clean, and I am
    > running a store-bought version of WinXP.

    Dunno if this is same problem but since I installed SP2, I can't log into
    Windows Update through standard programme, I just get to "Checking for the
    latest version of the Windows Update software..." and nothing happens.

    Posted this various places around usenet and never got a solution but
    messing about, I found the answer by accident. The standard update programme
    takes you ( or me anyway!) to
    http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us

    If I go to the secure version of the above site by addding 's' to the http
    prefix, it works fine.

    Strangely enough, I have Auto Update turned on and that works fine.

    Martin Harran, Jan 22, 2005
  12. ng_reader

    Noel Paton Guest

    Chris - have you used AdAware's ADS scanner? - opinions?

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, Jan 23, 2005
  13. On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 14:27:21 -0500, "ng_reader"

    >I have some nasty version of spyware that all the free spyware programs
    >(spybot, adaware, cwshredder, spyware-blaster) can't seem to irradicate.
    >(people, if I'm using big words like irradicate - please accept that I am
    >computer savvy enough to know about safe mode and stuff. Please, I'm smart)

    I'd guess you're a programmer, too. That combination of
    self-confidence plus errors is classic, and no amount of hard lessons
    (such as incessent patching to ERradicate errors) seems to fix :)

    First thing I'd do is widen your scope. You suspect commercial
    malware ("spyware"), but have no reason to exclude traditional malware
    (virus/worm/trojan) from the possible causes.

    So I'd start by doing a formal virus scan. If NTFS, well... do the
    best you can using Bart's PE, Trend's SysClean, Avast's free scanner,
    Stinger etc. and then repear AdAware, Spybot etc. from Safe Mode
    command Prompt Only. If FATxx, you can formally scan from a DOS mode
    boot diskette using DOS-based av from F-Prot, Sophos or NOD32.

    Having excluded <cough> traditional malware and the easy commercial
    malware, I'd go on to CWSShredder, then start with the manual tools:
    - HiJackThis for a basic overview
    - ADS Spy to view Alternate Data Streams
    - Shell Extension Viewer for shell integrations

    Those are the crucials; you can add BHO Lister, LSP Fix, other Startup
    listers, TDS3 etc. to taste. You could use AdAware's ADS plug-in
    instead of ADS Spy, but it's more likely to be blocked or crunched if
    the malware is active, and that's likely if it's smart enough to ADS.

    >Perhaps the biggest problem (aside from incessant pop-ups and a 90% slowdown
    >on CPU) is that my windows update mechanism is not working.

    Yup - which also points more towards traditional rather than
    commercial malware. A "legit" commercial software vendor would have
    difficulty explaining why thier sware clobbers Windows Update, y'see.

    >Microsoft asks me to follow a knowledge base under article Microsoft
    >Knowledge Base (KB) Article Q174360.

    What, fiddle with security zones? Worth doing, but I don't see that
    magicking away active malware, somehow.

    >As I am posting this to WindowsME NG, that is the operating system.

    Oops, for some reason I thought you were on XP; sorry. WinME's no
    cursed with NTFS, so start with those formal virus scans from DOS mode
    diskette. I'd use a Win98SE EBD tho, and I'd custom it a bit (bigger
    RAM Disk, Set Temp to use the RAM disk, etc.)

    Other slowdown factors include SR, if you have multiple HD volumes
    especially (WinME stores all SR data on C:, so lots of operations on
    other volumes trigger nice fat data transfers to C:) and retries on
    sick HDs (the mouse pointer will stick and HD LED will be on).

    >realize it's going on 5 years old, but as it's not broken don't fix it

    IE's broken, so fix that ideally to IE 6 SP1

    http://cquirke.mvps.org.9x/mimehole.htm

    If you used "as fit to ship" IE 5.5 SP0 for web mail, or with OE or
    Outbreak, then you're more likely to have an email-bourne
    MIME-spoofing virus by now, that anything else.

    >- but does anyone believe that has anything to do with anything?

    Well yes; it means I don't have to talk about patching RPC or LSASS
    holes, firewalls etc. and do have to talk about MIME-spoofing :)

    Trsut me, I won't make a mistake!

    cquirke (MVP Win9x), Jan 23, 2005
  14. ng_reader

    ng_reader Guest

    Bollocks, that's egg-xactly what I was going to say.

    ++

    Awesome stuff, all. I feel a little embarrased by my OP, however I think the
    slow down thing has to do with some kind of file running in case my machine
    croaks, I can go back to a safer version of windows.

    PC State Process or something other.

    ++

    No, I'm a salesman.

    +

    And I want the Eagles to go to the Super-Duper bowl.

    --

    Other than that, I'll check on the other aps and such. Glad you all read
    it, but more glad you responded.

    ng_reader, Jan 23, 2005
  15. ng_reader

    Rick T Guest

    ng_reader wrote:
    > I have some nasty version of spyware that all the free spyware programs
    > (spybot, adaware, cwshredder, spyware-blaster) can't seem to irradicate.

    <slash>

    > Perhaps the biggest problem (aside from incessant pop-ups and a 90% slowdown
    > on CPU) is that my windows update mechanism is not working.

    What kind of popups, any specific sites?

    When you get a "slowdown" what does TaskManager say is running.

    Rick

    follow-ups to m.p.w.general

    Rick T, Jan 23, 2005
  16. ng_reader

    cmsix Guest

    "David Qunt" <> wrote in message
    > "ng_reader" <> squirted these wordjisms deep
    > inside the bumtube of the newstwat in
    >
    >> I have some nasty version of spyware ............. irradicate

    > Please, I'm smart
    >
    > *eradicate*

    Irradicate is a perfectly valid word, it means to root deeply, isn't
    that what he meant?

    cmsix

    cmsix, Jan 23, 2005
  17. cmsix wrote:
    > "David Qunt" <> wrote in message
    >> "ng_reader" <> squirted these wordjisms deep
    >> inside the bumtube of the newstwat in
    >>
    >>> I have some nasty version of spyware ............. irradicate

    >> Please, I'm smart
    >>
    >> *eradicate*

    "...can't seem to irradicate."

    So, how long have you been unaware that you're a fucktard ****?

    --
    Windows isn't unstable. I am.

    Peter =?UTF-8?B?S8O2aGxtYW5u?=, Jan 23, 2005
  18. ng_reader

    cmsix Guest

    "Peter Köhlmann" <> wrote in message
    > cmsix wrote:
    >> "David Qunt" <> wrote in message
    >>> "ng_reader" <> squirted these wordjisms deep
    >>> inside the bumtube of the newstwat in

    >>> Please, I'm smart
    >>>
    >>> *eradicate*

    > "...can't seem to irradicate."
    >
    >> Irradicate is a perfectly valid word, it means to root deeply,
    >> isn't
    >> that what he meant?

    > So, how long have you been unaware that you're a fucktard ****?

    How long have you been having these feelings of hostility toward your
    mother?

    cmsix

    cmsix, Jan 23, 2005
  19. cmsix wrote:
    > "Peter Köhlmann" <> wrote in message
    >> cmsix wrote:
    >>> "David Qunt" <> wrote in message

    >> "...can't seem to irradicate."
    >>
    >>> Irradicate is a perfectly valid word, it means to root deeply,
    >>> isn't
    >>> that what he meant?

    >> So, how long have you been unaware that you're a fucktard ****?

    > How long have you been having these feelings of hostility toward your
    > mother?

    Since when have you believed that you're my mother, snotfuck? And don't they
    sterilise you retards these days?

    --
    Windows isn't unstable. I am.

    Peter =?UTF-8?B?S8O2aGxtYW5u?=, Jan 23, 2005
  20. ng_reader

    > cmsix wrote:
    >> "Peter Köhlmann" <> wrote in message

    >>> "...can't seem to irradicate."

    >>> So, how long have you been unaware that you're a fucktard ****?

    >> How long have you been having these feelings of hostility toward
    >> your
    >> mother?

    > Since when have you believed that you're my mother, snotfuck? And
    > don't they
    > sterilise you retards these days?

    I see that your mother hasn't been watching you closely enough and
    that you're back to looking up bad words on the internet again.

    cmsix

    cmsix, Jan 23, 2005