spyware in your computer

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Craig K., Dec 16, 2003.

  1. Craig K.

    Craig K. Guest

    This post explains an easy way to search your computer for spyware. No
    search method is perfect.

    In your computer, there may be a program which records URLs you visit,
    email addresses you send email to, names of Usenet newsgroups you
    visit, and names of files you create. This program is not necessarily
    a virus or worm. You may want to find out if such a program is in your
    computer.

    Go to a few URLs you would not ordinarily visit, send email to a few
    email addresses you would not ordinarily send email to, visit a few
    Usenet newsgroups you would not ordinarily visit, create a few files
    with uniquely memorable names. Then, run a computer program which
    indexes everything in your computer. The program should record the
    contents of all files, not merely their names.

    Then, using that program, search for the URLs, email addressses, names
    of Usenet groups, and uniquely memorable file names you used just
    before you ran the indexing program. You may get a list of files.
    Arrange the list of files in chronological order. Examine each file
    created or modified that day. There may be some files you do not
    object to.

    There may be one or two files that reveal that you are being spied on.

    Craig K., Dec 16, 2003

  2. and thats easy ????
    easy is loading Ad-Aware and clicking "start" ,
    easy is loading Spybot S&D and clicking on "check for problems"
    easy is loading CWShredder and clicking "next"
    now thats easy. ;op
    "Craig K." <> wrote in message
    > This post explains an easy way to search your computer for spyware. No
    > search method is perfect.
    >
    > In your computer, there may be a program which records URLs you visit,
    > email addresses you send email to, names of Usenet newsgroups you
    > visit, and names of files you create. This program is not necessarily
    > a virus or worm. You may want to find out if such a program is in your
    > computer.
    >
    > Go to a few URLs you would not ordinarily visit, send email to a few
    > email addresses you would not ordinarily send email to, visit a few
    > Usenet newsgroups you would not ordinarily visit, create a few files
    > with uniquely memorable names. Then, run a computer program which
    > indexes everything in your computer. The program should record the
    > contents of all files, not merely their names.
    >
    > Then, using that program, search for the URLs, email addressses, names
    > of Usenet groups, and uniquely memorable file names you used just
    > before you ran the indexing program. You may get a list of files.
    > Arrange the list of files in chronological order. Examine each file
    > created or modified that day. There may be some files you do not
    > object to.
    >
    > There may be one or two files that reveal that you are being spied on.

    News==----

    Newsgroups

    =---
    lightning_b0lt, Dec 16, 2003

  3. Craig K.

    Guest

    "Craig K." <> wrote in message news:<161220031614542558%>...
    > This post explains an easy way to search your computer for spyware. No
    > search method is perfect.

    Actually, you only detail the steps to locate the spyware's database,
    but not the spyware itself. Spyware can also store it's results in
    the registry, or it could hide the file with the hidden and/or system
    attributes.

    > Then, run a computer program which
    > indexes everything in your computer. The program should record the
    > contents of all files, not merely their names.

    What program did you use?

    > Then, using that program, search for the URLs, email addressses, names
    > of Usenet groups, and uniquely memorable file names you used just
    > before you ran the indexing program.

    The same program as above?

    > There may be one or two files that reveal that you are being spied on.

    The fact that I'm being spied on does nothing to stop the activity.
    To check for known threats, use programs like Spybot and Ad-Aware.
    These will search your system for known products that spy on your
    activities. Of course, they cannot detect unknown threats, but they
    may be able to detect a recognizable pattern that gives the program
    away as spyware. Each program offers the ability to remove the
    offending product.
    , Dec 16, 2003

    > > This post explains an easy way to search your computer for spyware. No
    > > search method is perfect.

    > Actually, you only detail the steps to locate the spyware's database,
    > but not the spyware itself. Spyware can also store it's results in
    > the registry, or it could hide the file with the hidden and/or system
    > attributes.
    >
    > > Then, run a computer program which
    > > indexes everything in your computer. The program should record the
    > > contents of all files, not merely their names.

    > What program did you use?
    >
    > > Then, using that program, search for the URLs, email addressses, names
    > > of Usenet groups, and uniquely memorable file names you used just
    > > before you ran the indexing program.

    > The same program as above?
    >
    > > There may be one or two files that reveal that you are being spied on.

    > The fact that I'm being spied on does nothing to stop the activity.
    > To check for known threats, use programs like Spybot and Ad-Aware.
    > These will search your system for known products that spy on your
    > activities. Of course, they cannot detect unknown threats, but they
    > may be able to detect a recognizable pattern that gives the program
    > away as spyware. Each program offers the ability to remove the
    > offending product.

    You forgot to mention "and cross your fingers that the malware isn't using
    Unicode or any form of compression"..

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!
    Hairy One Kenobi, Dec 17, 2003
  5. Craig K.

    Guest

    "Hairy One Kenobi" <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message news:<y7WDb.4915$>...
    > You forgot to mention "and cross your fingers that the malware isn't using
    > Unicode or any form of compression"..

    Oh, I forget a lot about Windows stuff any more.
    , Dec 18, 2003
  6. Craig K.

    guest Guest

    > > In your computer, there may be a program which records URLs you visit,
    > > email addresses you send email to, names of Usenet newsgroups you
    > > visit, and names of files you create. This program is not necessarily
    > > a virus or worm. You may want to find out if such a program is in your
    > > computer.

    That's right. You never know if any spyware "lives" in your PC and
    invisibly steals your above mentioned information. Never - if you
    don't use any anti-spy software. Same as you use anti-virus products,
    you should use anti-spy to prevent all this stuff. I reccomend
    PrivacyKeyboard. You can get its trial version and test with various,
    all available keyloggers. Go to http://www.anti-hack.biz and download
    it. The thing is that it disables even unknown keyloggers (so not yet
    included in the data basis of other programs which use signature
    analysis)! It's a really important feature!

    Best regards
    guest, Dec 19, 2003
  7. Craig K.

    Warren76 Guest

    Re: spyware in your computer - SpyHunter Software - Affiliate Program I sAvailable

    Hello,

    I've heard about and read various web-based notes about
    the illicit use of "spyware" loaded on a user's machine (without their
    knowledge or consent) to spy on them. For more info about this, click
    on the link below. As I'm typing this Email, I have downloaded,
    installed, and running a free SpyHunter software onto my home PC.

    Imagine my surpise when I found out, by viewing the results of running
    SpyHunter, that:

    2 Spyware programs stored in RAM;

    140 stored in my registry;

    256 web browser cookies(both Netscape Communicator v4.8 and Microsoft
    Internet
    Explorer v6.0.2800.1106);

    and 14 files stored among my files!

    Well, the SpyHunter spyware detection program is free. However, to
    delete the detected spyware requires you to purchase the full software
    version. Click on(or copy and paste) the link below to learn more
    about SpyHunter - by Enigma Software Group.

    http://www.enigmasoftwaregroup.com/affiliate/link.php?ref=419&productid=5

    ************* IMPORTANT NOTICE ************

    Important note to you folks whose PCs are on a local
    area network (LAN) where you work.

    Do not install the Spyware software onto your work PC until you have
    been authorized to do so by your LAN Administrator who is managing
    your LAN where you work! Please forward this message to your work
    location LAN administration to get his (or her) guidance regarding the
    issue of using the Spyware software.

    ************** End of Important Notice ************

    In closing, you may want to forward this message to your office IT
    division to get their comments regarding the issue of Spyware.

    Best Regards and Happy Holidays,

    -Warren-

    Warren76, Dec 23, 2003
  8. Craig K.

    vb Guest

    Re: spyware in your computer - SpyHunter Software - Affiliate Program I sAvailable

    This post smells of spam to me....

    vb, Dec 23, 2003
  9. Re: spyware in your computer - SpyHunter Software - Affiliate Program I sAvailable

    "vb" <> wrote in message news:...
    > This post smells of spam to me....
    >
    > "Warren76" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I've heard about and read various web-based notes about
    > > the illicit use of "spyware" loaded on a user's machine (without their
    > > knowledge or consent) to spy on them.

    <Scratch, Sniff, Snip>

    > > 2 Spyware programs stored in RAM;
    > >
    > > 140 stored in my registry;
    > >
    > > 256 web browser cookies(both Netscape Communicator v4.8 and Microsoft
    > > Internet
    > > Explorer v6.0.2800.1106);
    > > and 14 files stored among my files!

    Positively reeks of implausible meat "products"!

    Mind you, it's a positive boon to people that:

    1. Don't know that "spyware" is exactly what it says in the name

    2. Are dumb enough to think that anything other that sheep semen can be
    "stored in RAM"

    3. That a user has a "registry" all to themselves, and that users can "store
    programs" in them (the very though brings me out in hives)

    4. That anyone has a use for the bit betwixt neck and crown (other than
    preventing their hat from rubbing against their shoulders) uses Nutscrape
    4.8, except - perhaps - as a test for the lowest-common-denominator
    browser/user on their website or, possibly, as a way of turning a 3GHz
    machine into a creditable P-60 emulator.

    5. That a typical XP user likely to be taken-in by this crud has any idea of
    how to use Help->About to even see their IE/OE version

    6. Don't know that storing files with files make them both go blunt. (Or
    that /computer/ files aren't made of iron, and - thus - are about as
    offensive to each other on the same disk as sodium and chloride are in the
    average salt crystal)

    Our next instalment: how to protect your IIS system by wearing an aluminium
    foil pyramid on your head..

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there![1]