Spyware, Comcast Security Manager

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Edw. Peach, Sep 27, 2004.

  1. Edw. Peach

    Edw. Peach Guest

    Some weeks ago I posted a message about spyware on my computer. I
    cannot find that thread, so I will start again.

    I have not been having any noticeable problems other than the one I
    originally stated in my post, which is as follows:

    I use Mozilla Firefox as my default browser, and have IE installed,
    but only use it for Windows updates. I have my firewall option for IE
    set to ask for permission to connect to the Internet.

    When I hit an internet link from email (Eudora), two windows (Firefox)
    open for that link. I also get a window open for About:Blank in
    Internet Explorer. My browser (Firefox) takes an unusually long
    amount of time to open the first time I access the Internet, like 10
    seconds. I do not have this problem using my other email accounts in
    Yahoo or Gmail.

    Today I went to check my mail and I had problems connecting to the
    server. I tried again in a few minutes and then got on, but noticed
    that my computer was hooking up with "gotomypc.com." I don't use any
    remote connect software, and in fact NEVER access my email except on
    my own computer. I thought this was odd and contacted Comcast. They
    said they recognized that site and that I definitely have spyware on
    my computer. They sent me to a link that suggested I download their
    Security Manager. I don't know anything about this program, but it
    requires that I disable my current firewall. I'm the sort of person
    who likes to do a little research before I jump into something, and
    because Comcast urges me to do so, isn't good enough.

    I reran both Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D and neither program found any
    problems. I also changed my passwords for the email program.

    Someone responding to my original message suggested I try HijackThis!
    I poked around on the page, read some posts, and didn't feel
    comfortable with what was happening there. It appeared almost like a
    military procedure of doing this and this, and do not ask any
    questions. I don't know the people connected to this program, and
    have had no feedback from anybody about it, other than the people who
    use the program.

    Any other suggestions for finding the frigging spyware on my computer?
    Also, does anybody know about the Comcast Security Manager?

    Thanks for your help.

    Edw. Peach, Sep 27, 2004

  2. Edw. Peach

    L;ozT Guest

    ....a few options available here. Not sure what OS you have, but still.

    One option would be to first, set a system restore point/do fresh back-up
    etc...so that whatever happens, you can at least get back to where you are
    now. Then turn off your firewall and do what the instructions say, and turn
    the firewall back on again afterward - if possible (not sure what the
    instructions are, but still) try and make sure you are not connected to the
    net for as much of this process as possible - ie download, disconnect, then
    install - though it may be that the instructions insist upon the PC being
    connected. Then, with your firewall set to 'prompt', reboot your PC and see
    what messages you get up. Once booted, check places like 'event veiwer',
    installer logs for security programs, that kind of thing, and re-run spybot
    and ad-aware. If you are happy with the result then good, if not, restore
    to previous point.

    As for HijackThis, I think this is a good simple program, which simply
    'looks' at what is happening, and then tells you. Some of what it finds
    will be intentional, some not. If you want to run it and post a log here, I
    (and I am sure others) will be happy to look over it and maybe try and
    explain some of it. Feel free to ask as many questions as you like.

    If you know (or have an idea) what the spyware is, you can probably google
    for removal routines.

    Haven't come across Comcast till now.

    Cheers

    L;ozT

    L;ozT, Sep 27, 2004

  3. Edw. Peach

    Quaoar Guest

    Edw. Peach wrote:
    > Some weeks ago I posted a message about spyware on my computer. I
    > cannot find that thread, so I will start again.
    >
    > I have not been having any noticeable problems other than the one I
    > originally stated in my post, which is as follows:
    >
    > I use Mozilla Firefox as my default browser, and have IE installed,
    > but only use it for Windows updates. I have my firewall option for IE
    > set to ask for permission to connect to the Internet.
    >
    > When I hit an internet link from email (Eudora), two windows (Firefox)
    > open for that link. I also get a window open for About:Blank in
    > Internet Explorer. My browser (Firefox) takes an unusually long
    > amount of time to open the first time I access the Internet, like 10
    > seconds. I do not have this problem using my other email accounts in
    > Yahoo or Gmail.
    >
    > Today I went to check my mail and I had problems connecting to the
    > server. I tried again in a few minutes and then got on, but noticed
    > that my computer was hooking up with "gotomypc.com." I don't use any
    > remote connect software, and in fact NEVER access my email except on
    > my own computer. I thought this was odd and contacted Comcast. They
    > said they recognized that site and that I definitely have spyware on
    > my computer. They sent me to a link that suggested I download their
    > Security Manager. I don't know anything about this program, but it
    > requires that I disable my current firewall. I'm the sort of person
    > who likes to do a little research before I jump into something, and
    > because Comcast urges me to do so, isn't good enough.
    >
    > I reran both Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D and neither program found any
    > problems. I also changed my passwords for the email program.
    >
    > Someone responding to my original message suggested I try HijackThis!
    > I poked around on the page, read some posts, and didn't feel
    > comfortable with what was happening there. It appeared almost like a
    > military procedure of doing this and this, and do not ask any
    > questions. I don't know the people connected to this program, and
    > have had no feedback from anybody about it, other than the people who
    > use the program.
    >
    > Any other suggestions for finding the frigging spyware on my computer?
    > Also, does anybody know about the Comcast Security Manager?
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    Google: comcast security manager. This is an general "net nanny" type
    application that *you* installed to your system. Remove from add/remove
    programs.

    Gotymypc is a commercial remote-access manager that allows access to
    your pc from a remote computer. If you did not install this, and it did
    not come with the pc for remote service, then remove it from add/remove
    programs.

    Google: about:blank. You will find several removal tools. Boot to safe
    mode and do a complete virus scan (see below if you have no anti-virus);
    use safe mode since it disables any running virus/trojan/malware
    executables that can then be removed.

    You need to have a good anti-virus running (with current virus
    definitions) and a personal firewall. A free anti-virus is AVG. Free
    personal firewalls are Kerio, Zone Alarm, Sygate, etc. Get both Spybot
    and Ad-Aware, Google for both. Install all of these on each computer
    connected to the internet.

    Lastly, if you don't use Google, http://www.google.com.

    Quaoar, Sep 27, 2004
  4. Edw. Peach

    donnie Guest

    On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 22:37:24 -0400, Edw. Peach <>
    wrote:

    >I reran both Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D and neither program found any
    >problems. I also changed my passwords for the email program.

    Did you update those before runing them?

    donnie, Sep 28, 2004