Spyware Blocklists, IDS, other stuff updated

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by sponge, Nov 28, 2003.

  1. sponge

    sponge Guest

    I just did an update and added a few new parasites to my firewall
    rulesets at my site, so if you' want to use 'em, feel free to download
    them. I added just a few new items including a new FavoriteMan variant
    (I consider FavoriteMan to be one of the worst parasites, since it
    installs so many others). It's been a month and a half since my last
    updates, which is a good sign because it means the flow of serious,
    hardcore parasites is slowing down (at least for now...keep your
    fingers crossed!)
    I've also updated the Intrusion Detection rulesets for those who run
    IDS. There are two kinds, a "Basic" version and an "Advanced" one. I
    personally feel the Basic version to be more reliable since it nails
    all IP traffic and because it's much faster (which is important for an
    IDS using so many signatures.) The "Advanced" version has the ability
    to kill malicious connections though, which is useful on a
    Network-based IDS. Please give me some feedback if they do or don't
    work for you. BTW, for those of you who are running Snort, version
    2.0.5 is available from Snort.org.
    And, of course, I've posted updated filters for DNSKong users, as well
    as a new HOSTS file that works nicely in Linux/Unix as well as
    Windows.
    Well, that's it for now. Hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving or
    just a good day.

    Sponge
    Sponge's Secure Solutions
    www.geocities.com/yosponge
    My new email: yosponge2 att yahoo dott com

    sponge, Nov 28, 2003