    they found a real threat that the other programs failed to find?

    Many thanks in advance,
    Peter.
    PeterOut, Oct 27, 2007

  2. PeterOut

    Bert Hyman Guest

    Bert Hyman, Oct 27, 2007

  3. PeterOut

    Tony Guest

    I believe it's bearshit not bearshare.

    Regards Tony... Making usenet better for everyone
    everyday----------------------------------------------------PeterOut

    Tony, Oct 27, 2007
  4. PeterOut

    PeterOut Guest

    PeterOut, Oct 28, 2007
  5. PeterOut

    PeterOut Guest

    On Oct 27, 5:56 pm, Tony <> wrote:
    > I believe it's bearshit not bearshare.

    I had never heard of it before Spyware Detector told me that it found
    it on my system and was critical level spyware.
    PeterOut, Oct 28, 2007
  6. PeterOut

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 16:09:41 -0700, PeterOut <>
    wrote:

    >On Oct 27, 5:56 pm, Tony <> wrote:
    >> I believe it's bearshit not bearshare.
    >>

    >I had never heard of it before Spyware Detector told me that it found
    >it on my system and was critical level spyware.

    If you haven't installed it it certainly should not be there !

    Its crapware. remove it.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Oct 28, 2007
  7. PeterOut

    rjdriver Guest

    "PeterOut" <> wrote in message
    > On Oct 27, 5:56 pm, Tony <> wrote:
    >> I believe it's bearshit not bearshare.
    >>

    > I had never heard of it before Spyware Detector told me that it found
    > it on my system and was critical level spyware.

    Bearshare is one of dozens of file sharing apps out there that contains
    adware and spyware. If it's not a false reading and actually on your
    system, depending on which version you have, it could be the 180 Solutions
    spyware, When U, New Dot Net, or Quick Search Bar.

    Uninstall Bearshare, but let who ever in your family is using it know
    first in case they may need to save some files that might be in the
    bearshare directory. Then you will probably need some anti-spyware
    programs to get rid of what's left.
    You can start with the free ones, Spybot Search and Destroy and AdAware, but
    you may need manual surgery to get rid of the crap that 180 Solutions and
    When U dole out.

    Bob
    rjdriver, Oct 28, 2007
  8. PeterOut

    Dustin Cook Guest

    Jim Watt <_way> wrote in

    > On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 16:09:41 -0700, PeterOut <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Oct 27, 5:56 pm, Tony <> wrote:
    >>> I believe it's bearshit not bearshare.
    >>>

    >>I had never heard of it before Spyware Detector told me that it found
    >>it on my system and was critical level spyware.

    > If you haven't installed it it certainly should not be there !
    >
    > Its crapware. remove it.
    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com

    Spyware Detector is crapware, and it shouldn't be used.

    --
    Dustin Cook, Author of BugHunter - MalWare Removal Tool - v2.2d
    Email.:
    Dustin Cook, Oct 28, 2007
  9. PeterOut

    Dustin Cook Guest

    "rjdriver" <> wrote in

    > "PeterOut" <> wrote in message
    >> On Oct 27, 5:56 pm, Tony <> wrote:
    >>> I believe it's bearshit not bearshare.
    >>>

    >> I had never heard of it before Spyware Detector told me that it found
    >> it on my system and was critical level spyware.
    >>

    > Bearshare is one of dozens of file sharing apps out there that
    > contains
    > adware and spyware. If it's not a false reading and actually on your
    > system, depending on which version you have, it could be the 180
    > Solutions spyware, When U, New Dot Net, or Quick Search Bar.

    They are seperate installers included with BearShare. BearShare itself
    isn't spyware/adware. It's an important distinction.

    > Uninstall Bearshare, but let who ever in your family is using it
    > know
    > first in case they may need to save some files that might be in the
    > bearshare directory. Then you will probably need some anti-spyware

    Remove the offensive programs and replace them with dummy executables and
    bearshare runs fine, if thats your p2p choice... There are better options
    in p2p.

    > programs to get rid of what's left.
    > You can start with the free ones, Spybot Search and Destroy and
    > AdAware, but you may need manual surgery to get rid of the crap that
    > 180 Solutions and When U dole out.

    As well as what Spyware Detector may have included. It's worse than
    bearshare.

    Dustin Cook, Oct 28, 2007
  10. PeterOut

    PeterOut Guest

    On Oct 28, 9:41 am, "rjdriver" <> wrote:

    > Bearshare is one of dozens of file sharing apps out there that contains
    > adware and spyware. If it's not a false reading and actually on your
    > system, depending on which version you have, it could be the 180 Solutions
    > spyware, When U, New Dot Net, or Quick Search Bar.
    >
    > Uninstall Bearshare, but let who ever in your family is using it know
    > first in case they may need to save some files that might be in the
    > bearshare directory. Then you will probably need some anti-spyware
    > programs to get rid of what's left.
    > You can start with the free ones, Spybot Search and Destroy and AdAware, but
    > you may need manual surgery to get rid of the crap that 180 Solutions and
    > When U dole out.

    I did not find 180solutions using Search. I did find it in the
    registry, along with a lot of really nasty looking stuff, in
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE:Software:Microsoft:Windows:Internet
    Settings:p3P:History . Most of the stuff I didn't recognize. I am
    not sure if I should delete entries from there since it may be sites
    that are supposed to be blocked.

    Thanks,
    Peter.
    PeterOut, Oct 29, 2007
  11. PeterOut

    PeterOut Guest

    On Oct 28, 4:02 pm, Dustin Cook <> wrote:
    > "rjdriver" <> wrote innews:fk0Vi.20$:
    >

    > Remove the offensive programs and replace them with dummy executables and
    > bearshare runs fine, if thats your p2p choice... There are better options
    > in p2p.
    >
    > > programs to get rid of what's left.
    > > You can start with the free ones, Spybot Search and Destroy and
    > > AdAware, but you may need manual surgery to get rid of the crap that
    > > 180 Solutions and When U dole out.

    > As well as what Spyware Detector may have included. It's worse than
    > bearshare.

    That's good to know. Spybot Search and Destroy flagged Spyware
    Detector, along with Spyware Hunter and No Adware which I had
    installed to look for spyware. I let it remove them which is
    apparently what I should have done.

    Thanks very much,
    Peter.
    PeterOut, Oct 29, 2007
  12. PeterOut

    paul Guest

    1. Download and run firefox to protect your from future spyware
    attacks and pop ups which are coming in through internet explorer
    (Trojan downloaders, win32 ) .Then update your windows through firefox
    http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/05/spyware-fighter-essentials.html

    Also install internet explorer 7 which is now free for everyone
    oct2007
    http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/10/internet-explorer-7-available-now-to.html
    This should stop 50% of the spyware and popups attacking your
    computer

    2. Run the vundo and combo fix
    http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/05/vundofix-and-combo-fix.html

    3. Run the anti spyware remove programs spybot
    http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/03/spybot-search-and-destroy-spyware-and.html

    and superantispyware
    http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/04/superantispyware-home-edition-free.html
    to get rid of the nasties

    4. Run a free online virus scan to be sure you computer is virus and
    spyware free.
    http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/03/online-virus-scan.html

    paul, Nov 12, 2007
  13. PeterOut

    Sebastian G. Guest

    paul wrote:

    > 1. Download and run firefox to protect your from future spyware
    > attacks and pop ups which are coming in through internet explorer
    > (Trojan downloaders, win32 ) .Then update your windows through firefox
    > http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/05/spyware-fighter-essentials.html
    >
    > Also install internet explorer 7 which is now free for everyone
    > oct2007
    > http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/10/internet-explorer-7-available-now-to.html
    > This should stop 50% of the spyware and popups attacking your
    > computer
    >
    > 2. Run the vundo and combo fix
    > http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/05/vundofix-and-combo-fix.html
    >
    > 3. Run the anti spyware remove programs spybot
    > http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/03/spybot-search-and-destroy-spyware-and.html
    >
    > and superantispyware
    > http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/04/superantispyware-home-edition-free.html
    > to get rid of the nasties
    >
    > 4. Run a free online virus scan to be sure you computer is virus and
    > spyware free.
    > http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/03/online-virus-scan.html

    5. Now your system still is compromised. Why did you listen to such an idiot?
    Sebastian G., Nov 12, 2007
  14. PeterOut

    Dustin Cook Guest

    "Sebastian G." <> wrote in

    > paul wrote:
    >
    >> 1. Download and run firefox to protect your from future spyware
    >> attacks and pop ups which are coming in through internet explorer
    >> (Trojan downloaders, win32 ) .Then update your windows through
    >> firefox
    >> http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/05/spyware-fighter-ess
    >> entials.html
    >>
    >> Also install internet explorer 7 which is now free for everyone
    >> oct2007
    >> http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/10/internet-explorer-7
    >> -available-now-to.html This should stop 50% of the spyware and popups
    >> attacking your computer
    >>
    >> 2. Run the vundo and combo fix
    >> http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/05/vundofix-and-combo-
    >> fix.html
    >>
    >> 3. Run the anti spyware remove programs spybot
    >> http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/03/spybot-search-and-d
    >> estroy-spyware-and.html
    >>
    >> and superantispyware
    >> http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/04/superantispyware-ho
    >> me-edition-free.html
    >> to get rid of the nasties
    >>
    >> 4. Run a free online virus scan to be sure you computer is virus and
    >> spyware free.
    >> http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/03/online-virus-scan.h
    >> tml

    > 5. Now your system still is compromised. Why did you listen to such an
    > idiot?

    I'm not finding much in support of your comments sir. You still can't be
    bothered to answer my questions regarding my program. I suspect you are a
    total waste of various individuals time and effort.

    Dustin Cook, Nov 12, 2007
  15. PeterOut

    Sebastian G. Guest

    Dustin Cook wrote:

    >> 5. Now your system still is compromised. Why did you listen to such an
    >> idiot?
    >>

    > I'm not finding much in support of your comments sir.

    Of course not, since I won't suggest any solution to a not even particularly
    solvable problem (bringing a complex system of unknown state back to a
    well-defined state without having any backups).

    > You still can't be bothered to answer my questions regarding my program.

    Since there's anything to say that I haven't already said. I tested the
    mentioned program and found various false positives. Period.
    Sebastian G., Nov 13, 2007
  16. PeterOut

    Dustin Cook Guest

    "Sebastian G." <> wrote in

    > Dustin Cook wrote:
    >

    >>> 5. Now your system still is compromised. Why did you listen to such
    >>> an idiot?
    >>>

    >> I'm not finding much in support of your comments sir.

    > Of course not, since I won't suggest any solution to a not even
    > particularly solvable problem (bringing a complex system of unknown
    > state back to a well-defined state without having any backups).
    >
    >> You still can't be bothered to answer my questions regarding my
    >> program.

    > Since there's anything to say that I haven't already said. I tested
    > the mentioned program and found various false positives. Period.

    Aha. Would you mind posting the BUGHUNT.LOG file in this case? I'd like
    to clear up any false positive issues regarding it.

    Dustin Cook, Nov 13, 2007
  17. PeterOut

    Dustin Cook Guest

    "Sebastian G." <> wrote in

    > Dustin Cook wrote:
    >

    >>> 5. Now your system still is compromised. Why did you listen to such
    >>> an idiot?
    >>>

    >> I'm not finding much in support of your comments sir.

    > Of course not, since I won't suggest any solution to a not even
    > particularly solvable problem (bringing a complex system of unknown
    > state back to a well-defined state without having any backups).
    >
    >> You still can't be bothered to answer my questions regarding my
    >> program.

    > Since there's anything to say that I haven't already said. I tested
    > the mentioned program and found various false positives. Period.

    Actually, I take issue.. :)

    At what point did your testing determine that BugHunter gives a rats ass
    about cookies or registry keys? The problem I seem to have is that you
    claimed not to have tested the program in one post, and when I posted
    that you seem to have implied you in fact did test it, you respond with
    this nonsense.

    Okay, I'll play along.. what the hell. Which false positives is it you
    feel you found? And why have you felt the need to remain silent about
    them when originally asked if you'd taken a look at the program?

    And I'm especially interested in the cookie comment you made. As
    BugHunter has no interest in cookies or registry entries or favorites
    links, as you seem to have implied it did...

    Dustin Cook, Nov 13, 2007
  18. PeterOut

    Dustin Cook Guest

    "Sebastian G." <> wrote in

    > Dustin Cook wrote:
    >

    >>> 5. Now your system still is compromised. Why did you listen to such
    >>> an idiot?
    >>>

    >> I'm not finding much in support of your comments sir.

    > Of course not, since I won't suggest any solution to a not even
    > particularly solvable problem (bringing a complex system of unknown
    > state back to a well-defined state without having any backups).
    >
    >> You still can't be bothered to answer my questions regarding my
    >> program.

    > Since there's anything to say that I haven't already said. I tested
    > the mentioned program and found various false positives. Period.

    Here's your original comments, if you have forgotten them:

    <Xns99E167D02A64HHI2948AJD832@69.28.186.121>

    You didn't respond to that post either, You wouldn't mind doing so now
    would you? thanks.

    Dustin Cook, Nov 13, 2007
  19. PeterOut

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 20:01:16 GMT, Dustin Cook
    <> wrote:

    >You didn't respond to that post either, You wouldn't mind doing so now
    >would you? thanks.

    Sebastian holds the view that one should always flatten and
    rebuild systems after the smallest bit of malware.

    In order to be totally secure he is right, however for most
    real world situations, removal manually or using a program
    is quicker and adequate.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com