    registry is corrupted and that I should log in to this website to fix it -
    how can I figure out where this cookie or what ever it is is coming from?
    Can I change my IP address?

    don, Feb 20, 2007

  2. don

    Leythos Guest

    In article <erdtov$eej$>, says...
    > I had this spyware on my winxp (spydawn) comp and so I formatted my
    > harddrive and reinstalled my software - and put my Norton firewall backup -
    > but I"m still getting this popup message every so often about how my comp
    > registry is corrupted and that I should log in to this website to fix it -
    > how can I figure out where this cookie or what ever it is is coming from?
    > Can I change my IP address?

    Did you really WIPE your computer?

    If you're still infected after formatting the drive is sounds like you
    either didn't really format it or you reinstalled something you saved
    from the compromised machine.

    What is the POP-UP?

    Is it a messenger pop-up or some other pop-up?

    Are you using a NAT Router or directly connected to the internet?

    *** WARNING - these links contain foul/pornographic content of an
    website ***
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/rlk/rlk.htm ,
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/license.htm ,
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/max.htm ,
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/mpv.htm ,
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/wtcpcb.htm ,
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/cracks.htm ,
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/Loutheasshole.htm
    All while spamming his company website at: http://www.seedsv.com

    Leythos, Feb 20, 2007

  3. don

    Evan Platt Guest

    http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/docs/messagepopup/

    >Can I change my IP address?

    What would that accomplish?

    Evan Platt, Feb 20, 2007
  4. don

    Daave Guest

    don wrote:
    > I had this spyware on my winxp (spydawn) comp and so I formatted my
    > harddrive

    That wasn't necessary. For future reference, instructions to remove
    spydawn can be found at:

    > and reinstalled my software - and put my Norton firewall
    > backup - but I"m still getting this popup message every so often
    > about how my comp registry is corrupted and that I should log in to
    > this website to fix it

    You definitely should *not* visit that Web site! Although you neglected
    to provide specifics, I'll bet what you're describing is an example of
    Messenger Service spam. And if that's the case, then your firewall isn't
    working properly. Enable your firewall, and those popups should
    disappear. Still, post back with the *exact* message in order to receive
    better feedback.

    > Can I change my IP address?

    You would need to ask your ISP. Chances are, though, whether or not you
    change your IP address won't make any difference regarding malware.

    --
    Dave

    Daave, Feb 20, 2007
  5. don

    don Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message

    > http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/docs/messagepopup/
    >
    > >Can I change my IP address?

    > What would that accomplish?

    Thanks - the directions in that link seemed to stop the popup message - but
    how come my Norton Firewall was letting someone send me that cookie or
    popup?

    don, Feb 20, 2007
  6. don

    Coco Guest

    "don" <> wrote in message
    >I had this spyware on my winxp (spydawn) comp and so I formatted my
    > harddrive and reinstalled my software - and put my Norton firewall
    > backup -
    > but I"m still getting this popup message every so often about how my comp
    > registry is corrupted and that I should log in to this website to fix it -
    > how can I figure out where this cookie or what ever it is is coming from?
    > Can I change my IP address?

    Norton didn't protect you before you formatted, what made you believe it
    would protect you after re-installing? Dump it and get AVG, or something.
    The data you backed up and restored probably contains a bug.
    Put you data on an external drive, have AVG scan it. Then do another clean
    install of the XP and this time skip Norton. While you're at it, download
    Mozilla Firefox and set it as your default browser.

    Coco, Feb 20, 2007
  7. don

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 01:15:53 -0500, "don" <> wrote:

    >Thanks - the directions in that link seemed to stop the popup message

    That's what it should do.

    >but how come my Norton Firewall was letting someone send me that cookie or
    >popup?

    Because Norton wasn't configured correctly. Norton is bloatware. As
    CoCo suggested, drop Norton. There's much better and cheaper
    alternatives.

    Evan Platt, Feb 20, 2007
  8. don

    Leythos Guest

    In article <ere3mn$i5a$>, says...

    > "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/docs/messagepopup/
    > >
    > > >Can I change my IP address?

    > > What would that accomplish?

    > Thanks - the directions in that link seemed to stop the popup message - but
    > how come my Norton Firewall was letting someone send me that cookie or
    > popup?

    Norton would normally block something like that, but, since you
    misconfigured norton the first time, what makes you think that you would
    not misconfigure it the second time?

    Leythos, Feb 20, 2007