Spyware and unintended consequences

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Governor Swill, Jan 10, 2005.

  1. I recently installed Spywareguard and now can't get into a spam
    catcher addy at netscape.com. The site tells me I need to enable Java
    and cookies. The only cookies I have disabled are third party ones
    but session cookies are allowed and Java is enabled at high safety.

    XPh sp2 Slimbrowser 4.03 build 007 Java 1.4.2_01 and _03

    Most everything in Security... Internet Zone... Custom Level is set to
    prompt. A couple of items are disabled (unsigned active x, active x
    not marked safe), Java is enabled but high security, pop up blocker is
    enabled here but not in Slimbrowser. A few places I go there are
    popups I need _and_ I need them in a new tab. Setting it up like this
    seems to prevent ad popups but legit popups are unaffected.

    hmm... access data sources across domains, whatever tf that is, is
    disabled. Also disabled, 'allow scripting of IE webbrowser control'
    and 'allow script-initiated windows without size or position
    constraint'.

    Just set navigate sub frames across domains to prompt. I'll find out
    what that does. hehe

    Anybody know what 'userdata persistence' means?

    Anyway, I tell the page it's ok to run scripts but it still won't let
    me in.

    One more waste mail bites the dust.

    Swill

    --
    If electricity comes from electrons,
    does morality come from morons?

    Governor Swill, Jan 10, 2005

  2. Governor Swill

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 04:50:30 -0500, in
    <>
    Governor Swill scrawled:

    >I recently installed Spywareguard and now can't get into a spam
    >catcher addy at netscape.com.

    Presumably you have checked/tweaked the settings in
    Spywareguard?

    <snip>

    >Anybody know what 'userdata persistence' means?

    It's a method that I.E. uses to save data, hence
    "userdata persistence". Windows update uses this method
    to save your preferences. For more info see:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/behaviors/reference/behaviors/userdata.asp

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 10, 2005

  3. On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:32:22 +0000, °Mike° <>
    wrote:

    >>Anybody know what 'userdata persistence' means?

    >It's a method that I.E. uses to save data, hence
    >"userdata persistence". Windows update uses this method
    >to save your preferences. For more info see:
    >http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/behaviors/reference/behaviors/userdata.asp

    Thanks! Clear as mud but I'll work on it. ;-) I stopped being
    interested in html long ago and so don't know enough about page design
    to understand that resource without some study. Call me paranoid but
    I've become a bit of a security freak and am now studying stuff
    related to internet app operations with an eye towards security. The
    goal is to be able to properly advise customers and my office on
    security issues.

    Swill

    Governor Swill, Jan 10, 2005
  4. Governor Swill

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 13:57:14 -0500, in
    <>
    Governor Swill scrawled:

    >On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:32:22 +0000, °Mike° <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>>Anybody know what 'userdata persistence' means?

    >>It's a method that I.E. uses to save data, hence
    >>"userdata persistence". Windows update uses this method
    >>to save your preferences. For more info see:
    >>http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/behaviors/reference/behaviors/userdata.asp

    >Thanks! Clear as mud but I'll work on it. ;-)

    You're welcome.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 10, 2005
  5. On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:32:22 +0000, °Mike° <>
    wrote:

    >>I recently installed Spywareguard and now can't get into a spam
    >>catcher addy at netscape.com.

    >Presumably you have checked/tweaked the settings in
    >Spywareguard?

    Yes.

    You have Spywareguard?

    Swill