Spyware and LAN client-server maintenance

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by FRAN, Mar 13, 2005.

  1. FRAN

    FRAN Guest

    Our school has just recently taken delivery of a number of Dell PCs
    (1.7 GHZ, 40GB HDD, 256 RAM) that are going to be running WINDOWS 2000
    NT NOS. Our system is set up so that our student users don't have
    right-mouse outside of applications such as MS-Office. Students have no
    right to alter "c:\".

    We are going to ghost a machine and use that clone the image to the
    remaining 20 systems.

    Students have access to the web (with some restrictions imposed by the
    requyired filtering systems) but our principle problems are spyware,
    and of course the ususal viruses, trojans and so forth. We are running
    Symantec with live upadates for these latter, but we still get a lot of
    problems with unwanted plug-ins (eg "whenusearch" attaching to
    Explorer).

    A couple of questions come to mind.

    I'm considering installing Adaware, and Spybot S&D on the original
    machine from which the ghost will be created. Are these the most
    time-efficient, user-friendly and effective Malware products?

    Is reghosting from a pristine or defragged machine an adequate
    maintenance alternative to defragmenting and disk clean up or are there
    good reasons for going around and deleting unnecessary programs and
    temp files before running scandisk and defrag better in some measurable
    way?

    I'm trying to ensure I spend as little time fiddling as possible,
    because, in practice time comes to us teachers in bits and pieces and
    getting half way through a task and having to do something else is
    quite common.

    FRAN, Mar 13, 2005

  2. Not sure why you added the Win98 group to this, but here's my answer:

    1. While Ad-Aware and Spybot are excellent apps, I don't recommend using
    them except as after-the-fact scanners. Any of their options that
    include real-time protection *may* cause problems. And Spybot's
    "Immunize" and other features besides simple scanning are also known to
    be potentially problematic. Whether your systems encounter these
    problems or not is pretty much a toss of the dice. What keeps *my*
    system clean is SpywareBlaster, along with the MVPS HOSTS file. You
    should also add CWShredder to your arsenal of scanners. For more info
    and links, see the Security article in my sig.

    2. The amount of time required to restore an image is probably more,
    overall, than performing maintenance procedures. But the amount of
    "hands-on" time is much less. Restoring an image, you have a single
    operation to perform, and then you leave it until it's done. Running
    maintenance means running several operations that take anywhere from a
    few minutes to an hour or more, and while some things can be scripted,
    there are still a number of moments when operator input is required. And
    even then, you do not have a "known state". Assuming that you have no
    need to preserve anything that was added to the system after
    installation, the imaging method is the simplest and surest method of
    maintaining your lab machines.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    Gary S. Terhune, Mar 13, 2005

  3. FRAN

    Matt Gibson Guest

    I forget the name of the software product, but it allows you to set the
    machine up, so any changes made to the base image are lost after a reboot.
    Therefore, if a machine gets infected with spyware, just reboot it, and it's
    gone.

    As long as the students save their work to a network drive, there shouldn't
    be any problems.

    Matt Gibson - GSEC

    Matt Gibson, Mar 13, 2005
  4. FRAN

    Guest

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > Not sure why you added the Win98 group to this, but here's my answer:

    Thanks for answering all the same. I wasn't sure where to ask this
    question.

    > 1. While Ad-Aware and Spybot are excellent apps, I don't recommend

    using
    > them except as after-the-fact scanners. Any of their options that
    > include real-time protection *may* cause problems. And Spybot's
    > "Immunize" and other features besides simple scanning are also known

    > be potentially problematic. Whether your systems encounter these
    > problems or not is pretty much a toss of the dice. What keeps *my*
    > system clean is SpywareBlaster, along with the MVPS HOSTS file. You
    > should also add CWShredder to your arsenal of scanners. For more info
    > and links, see the Security article in my sig.

    Thanks again.

    > 2. The amount of time required to restore an image is probably more,
    > overall, than performing maintenance procedures. But the amount of
    > "hands-on" time is much less. Restoring an image, you have a single
    > operation to perform, and then you leave it until it's done. Running
    > maintenance means running several operations that take anywhere from

    > few minutes to an hour or more, and while some things can be

    scripted,
    > there are still a number of moments when operator input is required.

    And
    > even then, you do not have a "known state". Assuming that you have no
    > need to preserve anything that was added to the system after
    > installation, the imaging method is the simplest and surest method of
    > maintaining your lab machines.
    >
    > --

    Excellent. We can run stuff overnight when everyone's gone home, so if
    that's the only objection, then I think I have my answer.

    Fran

    , Mar 13, 2005
  5. FRAN

    Guest

    Matt Gibson wrote:
    > I forget the name of the software product, but it allows you to set

    the
    > machine up, so any changes made to the base image are lost after a

    reboot.
    > Therefore, if a machine gets infected with spyware, just reboot it,

    and it's
    > gone.
    >
    > As long as the students save their work to a network drive, there

    shouldn't
    > be any problems.
    >
    > Matt Gibson - GSEC

    I seem to remember HP making something like this -- one person
    demonstrating by deleting system files and then rebooting.

    The cost of the licences might kill off this approach though.

    Fran
    > "FRAN" <> wrote in message
    > > Our school has just recently taken delivery of a number of Dell PCs
    > > (1.7 GHZ, 40GB HDD, 256 RAM) that are going to be running WINDOWS

    2000
    > > NT NOS. Our system is set up so that our student users don't have
    > > right-mouse outside of applications such as MS-Office. Students

    have no
    > > right to alter "c:\".
    > >
    > > We are going to ghost a machine and use that clone the image to the
    > > remaining 20 systems.
    > >
    > > Students have access to the web (with some restrictions imposed by

    the
    > > requyired filtering systems) but our principle problems are

    spyware,
    > > and of course the ususal viruses, trojans and so forth. We are

    running
    > > Symantec with live upadates for these latter, but we still get a

    lot of
    > > problems with unwanted plug-ins (eg "whenusearch" attaching to
    > > Explorer).
    > >
    > > A couple of questions come to mind.
    > >
    > > I'm considering installing Adaware, and Spybot S&D on the original
    > > machine from which the ghost will be created. Are these the most
    > > time-efficient, user-friendly and effective Malware products?
    > >
    > > Is reghosting from a pristine or defragged machine an adequate
    > > maintenance alternative to defragmenting and disk clean up or are

    there
    > > good reasons for going around and deleting unnecessary programs and
    > > temp files before running scandisk and defrag better in some

    measurable
    > > way?
    > >
    > > I'm trying to ensure I spend as little time fiddling as possible,
    > > because, in practice time comes to us teachers in bits and pieces

    and
    > > getting half way through a task and having to do something else is
    > > quite common.

    , Mar 13, 2005
  6. FRAN

    unglued Guest

    FRAN wrote:
    > Our school has just recently taken delivery of a number of Dell PCs
    > (1.7 GHZ, 40GB HDD, 256 RAM) that are going to be running WINDOWS

    2000
    > NT NOS. Our system is set up so that our student users don't have
    > right-mouse outside of applications such as MS-Office. Students have

    no
    > right to alter "c:\".
    >
    > We are going to ghost a machine and use that clone the image to the
    > remaining 20 systems.
    >
    > Students have access to the web (with some restrictions imposed by

    the
    > requyired filtering systems) but our principle problems are spyware,
    > and of course the ususal viruses, trojans and so forth. We are

    running
    > Symantec with live upadates for these latter, but we still get a lot

    of
    > problems with unwanted plug-ins (eg "whenusearch" attaching to
    > Explorer)

    BHODemon can help you weed out unwanted "browser helper objects". Of
    course you could adopt the unpopular (among the students) policy to
    block all java and activeX activity with the firewall unless there is
    some very good reason that they must be available.

    unglued, Mar 13, 2005
  7. "Matt Gibson" <> wrote in message
    >I forget the name of the software product, but it allows you to set the
    >machine up, so any changes made to the base image are lost after a reboot.
    >Therefore, if a machine gets infected with spyware, just reboot it, and
    >it's gone.
    >
    > As long as the students save their work to a network drive, there
    > shouldn't be any problems.
    >
    > Matt Gibson - GSEC

    I'm pretty sure my school has a program like this. It might be some sort of
    extention for Ghost.

    Patrick Michael, Mar 13, 2005
  8. From: "FRAN" <>

    | Our school has just recently taken delivery of a number of Dell PCs
    | (1.7 GHZ, 40GB HDD, 256 RAM) that are going to be running WINDOWS 2000
    | NT NOS. Our system is set up so that our student users don't have
    | right-mouse outside of applications such as MS-Office. Students have no
    | right to alter "c:\".
    |
    | We are going to ghost a machine and use that clone the image to the
    | remaining 20 systems.
    |
    | Students have access to the web (with some restrictions imposed by the
    | requyired filtering systems) but our principle problems are spyware,
    | and of course the ususal viruses, trojans and so forth. We are running
    | Symantec with live upadates for these latter, but we still get a lot of
    | problems with unwanted plug-ins (eg "whenusearch" attaching to
    | Explorer).
    |
    | A couple of questions come to mind.
    |
    | I'm considering installing Adaware, and Spybot S&D on the original
    | machine from which the ghost will be created. Are these the most
    | time-efficient, user-friendly and effective Malware products?
    |
    | Is reghosting from a pristine or defragged machine an adequate
    | maintenance alternative to defragmenting and disk clean up or are there
    | good reasons for going around and deleting unnecessary programs and
    | temp files before running scandisk and defrag better in some measurable
    | way?
    |
    | I'm trying to ensure I spend as little time fiddling as possible,
    | because, in practice time comes to us teachers in bits and pieces and
    | getting half way through a task and having to do something else is
    | quite common.

    Fran:

    All those News Groups and to most, you have posted Off Topic.
    What you posted has NOTHING to do with Win98 or FireWalls !
    Not one of the News Groups was for a Win2K News Group or a Security News Group !

    Ad-aware SE and SpyBot S&D are good choices !

    Ghosting a source PC and Ghosting to the other platforms is an excellent idea. I use
    Symantec Ghost Enterprise in a corporate environment and it it is highly valuable in
    deploying and maintaininmg the platforms.

    Before you Ghost the platform, make sure Win2K SP4 is installed, all MS Office Service
    Packs are installed and all MS Critical Updates are installed. Install Mozilla FireFox as
    the default browser and configure all aspects of software. When done copy the profile to
    the Default User profile. Then make your clone. When you get down do, there is no need to
    worry about defragging prior to a Ghost image or after restoring a Ghost image. Defragging
    is the LEAST of your worries and shouldn't be a consideration at all.

    --
    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Mar 13, 2005
  9. FRAN

    TV-Engineer Guest

    Software that returns a computer to 'original state on a boot is Go-Back
    from Symantec.

    For cleaning the computers, try Microsoft's AntiSpyware Beta. It runs in
    the background and updates automatically.

    TV-Engineer, Mar 13, 2005
  10. FRAN

    Guest

    1) I don't know who or why someone said hands on maintince is eaiser or
    takes less time than a image restore, but they are full of crap. I'd
    rather reload from an image that try to remove spyware anyday.

    2) Create the first OS. get it setup exactly the way you want, then use
    sysprep to prepare the image for cloning.

    3) There are several products available for cloning discs, Ghost the
    most popular, I prefer Acronis True image.

    4) The product you really need is Deep Freeze. ANY changes to the OS
    and filesystem are lost after a reboot. It is probally somewhat
    expensive, BUT, it really saves on the TCO. You will have no need for
    any Spyware or AntiVirus software. They also offer an educational
    package discount.
    http://www.faronics.com/html/edsolutions.asp

    , Mar 13, 2005
  11. FRAN

    Dan Guest

    Fran probably added win98 group because there are a lot of smart people in
    this group. <grin>

    :
[...]
    : --
    : Gary S. Terhune
    : MS MVP Shell/User
    : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    :
    : "FRAN" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : > Our school has just recently taken delivery of a number of Dell PCs
    : > (1.7 GHZ, 40GB HDD, 256 RAM) that are going to be running WINDOWS 2000
    : > NT NOS. Our system is set up so that our student users don't have
    : > right-mouse outside of applications such as MS-Office. Students have
    : no
    : > right to alter "c:\".
    : >

    Dan, Mar 13, 2005
  12. FRAN

    Dan Guest

    <aside -- David everything a-okay with 98SE -- tightenened security at router
    level and tougher password -- no more hits on ZA PRO. software firewall as of
    now -- :> --- everyone seems to want to access my system for some reason
    <???> Wallwatcher.exe is okay -- will have to deal with Commercial Keylogger
    potential in XP PRO. of NTFS - D: drive when I return thanks and sorry I have
    been super busy -- and no I am not trying to hijack thread -- everyone else
    can disregard this information -- sorry for the inconvience but e-mail acting
    up and one e-mail account compromised -- must tighten security protocols on
    email and change all passwords in XPPRO. when it is fixed-- worst
    case -complete format and reinstall of XP PRO. TIA for all of your help>

    : From: "FRAN" <>
    :
    : | Our school has just recently taken delivery of a number of Dell PCs
    : | (1.7 GHZ, 40GB HDD, 256 RAM) that are going to be running WINDOWS 2000
    : | NT NOS. Our system is set up so that our student users don't have
    : | right-mouse outside of applications such as MS-Office. Students have no
    : | right to alter "c:\".
    : |

    Dan, Mar 13, 2005
  13. FRAN

    Dan Guest

    GoBack is fantastic in 98SE for me. I will use Antispyware Beta from
    Microsoft to try and fix my Commerical keylogger in XPPRO.

    "TV-Engineer" <> wrote in message
    : Software that returns a computer to 'original state on a boot is Go-Back
    : from Symantec.
    :
    : For cleaning the computers, try Microsoft's AntiSpyware Beta. It runs in
    : the background and updates automatically.
    :
    : news:...

    Dan, Mar 13, 2005
  14. FRAN

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 00:13:16 -0800, "Matt Gibson"
    <> wrote:

    >I forget the name of the software product, but it allows you to set the
    >machine up, so any changes made to the base image are lost after a reboot.
    >Therefore, if a machine gets infected with spyware, just reboot it, and it's
    >gone.
    >
    >As long as the students save their work to a network drive, there shouldn't
    >be any problems.

    Hard Drive Sheriff is one...

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Mar 14, 2005
  15. FRAN

    Dan Guest

    since you seem to be an aol user -- just seeing that makes me doubt your
    credibility since imo AOL sucks and takes over your computer

    Dan, Mar 21, 2005
  16. FRAN

    Dan Guest

    You do have some valid points and I do appreciate your post even though I say
    again that it is critical to dump AOL as soon as possible because imo it
    takes over your computer and does not allow Microsoft to rule your computer
    which actually is very important as you may find out someday.

    Dan, Mar 22, 2005
  17. FRAN

    Dan Guest

    Thank you and Go-Back is great and I now use Microsoft's AntiSpyware Beta
    which I also consider to be GREAT. Grrrreat as Tony the Tiger from Kellogs
    cereal says LOL!!

    : Software that returns a computer to 'original state on a boot is Go-Back
    : from Symantec.
    :
    : For cleaning the computers, try Microsoft's AntiSpyware Beta. It runs in
    : the background and updates automatically.
    :
    : news:...

    Dan, Mar 23, 2005
  18. FRAN

    Guest

    Hey Asshole

    read ther header and realize that this was posted from google groups;
    and from a Linux box.

    Symantec Go back is pretty ghetto, its like using Windows 98 in a
    domain. Real Admins us Deep Freeze.

    , Mar 30, 2005