SpyHunter now included in Ad-aware's database

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Industrious, Jun 2, 2004.

  1. Industrious

    Industrious Guest

    here is an interesting article from Lavasoft, the Ad-aware people.

    SpyHunter now included in Ad-aware's database

    Enigma Software Group Inc. is the company behind the SpyHunter software.
    They claim that "Our suites are built to address the need of privacy
    protection and computer security. We empower internet users to take control
    over their computers against Spyware, parasites, SPAM, and others obtaining
    your personal information online!" However, what's not disclosed is the
    hidden transmission of the Microsoft Windows Product ID to their servers
    every time their software checks for an update. They also uniquely identify
    their users by use of a unique ID for each installation. This unique ID is
    also sent to their servers undisclosed. This is something we at Lavasoft
    find highly questionable and unethical.

    Enigma Software Group also uses questionable methods to market their
    software SpyHunter. Their pop-up ads resemble virus alerts from well-known
    anti-virus programs, and DOS windows displaying fake scan results.

    Example 1
    Example 2
    Example 3
    Example 4