Spyder2Express - Laptop Calibration Problem

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by BRH, Sep 28, 2007.

  1. BRH

    BRH Guest

    I'm trying to calibrate my laptop's display using Colorvision's
    Spyder2Express. Although the procedure runs thru to the end and results
    in a much improved display, the new display configuration doesn't get saved.

    I get the following message instead: "Sorry - no calibration data was
    found in the profile "sRGB Color Space Profile" for display "Plug and
    Play Monitor". Please select a different profile using "Profile
    Chooser" (1168)."

    I have it set to calibrating an LCD screen, but the final adjustments
    don't "stick". I get a similar message to this after booting up now as
    well -- something about failing to load the new profile. So,
    apparently, it's looking for a new profile but can only find the
    system's default color profile.

    Can anyone help me out with this? It worked fine on my CRT monitor for
    my desktop system. I have tried it a number of times on the laptop, but
    continue to get this message.

    FWIW, my laptop is an HP Entertainment Pavilion 6119US. It's display is
    a GeForce Go 6150. The operating system is WiXP Media Edition (SP2).

    Thanks!

    BRH, Sep 28, 2007

  2. BRH

    John Bean Guest

    On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 15:45:14 -0400, BRH <BRH> wrote:
    >I get the following message instead: "Sorry - no calibration data was
    >found in the profile "sRGB Color Space Profile" for display "Plug and
    >Play Monitor". Please select a different profile using "Profile
    >Chooser" (1168)."

    The profile it creates is called "Spyder2express", not "sRGB
    Color Space Profile". I suspect it can't change the settings
    it needs to do its job.

    Do you have administrator rights on the laptop when you're
    calibrating? I'm afraid I don't know anything about the
    flavour of XP you're using.

    --
    John Bean

    John Bean, Sep 28, 2007

  3. BRH

    BRH Guest

    John Bean wrote:

    > On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 15:45:14 -0400, BRH <BRH> wrote:
    >
    >>I get the following message instead: "Sorry - no calibration data was
    >>found in the profile "sRGB Color Space Profile" for display "Plug and
    >>Play Monitor". Please select a different profile using "Profile
    >>Chooser" (1168)."

    > The profile it creates is called "Spyder2express", not "sRGB
    > Color Space Profile". I suspect it can't change the settings
    > it needs to do its job.
    >
    > Do you have administrator rights on the laptop when you're
    > calibrating? I'm afraid I don't know anything about the
    > flavour of XP you're using.

    Yes, I have administrator rights. I get the message that the profile it
    creates is called "Spyder2express" but a) I can't find it anywhere and
    b) Even if I could find it, how do I load it? (I would have thought the
    software would take care of this automatically. It did on my desktop CRT.)

    Any idea what the "Profile Chooser" is? I can't find that anywhere either.

    Thanks.

    BRH, Sep 28, 2007
  4. BRH

    John Bean Guest

    On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 17:02:51 -0400, BRH <BRH> wrote:

    >Yes, I have administrator rights. I get the message that the profile it
    >creates is called "Spyder2express" but a) I can't find it anywhere and
    >b) Even if I could find it, how do I load it? (I would have thought the
    >software would take care of this automatically. It did on my desktop CRT.)

    That's why I thought it might be a rights issue. Maybe it's
    the XP version that's causing the problem.

    >Any idea what the "Profile Chooser" is? I can't find that anywhere either.

    I assume it means in the display properties. In XP Pro I'd
    bring up the display properties sheet, select the "Settings"
    tab and click "Advanced" then select the "Color Management"
    tab. There are probably other ways to get to it though.

    The actual profiles are normally in
    <windows>\system32\spool\drivers\color (at least in XP Pro)
    and I'd imagine that's where the Spyder software expects to
    find them. Maybe the "Media Edition" of XP is confusing it.

    --
    John Bean

    John Bean, Sep 28, 2007
  5. BRH

    Pete D Guest

    "John Bean" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 17:02:51 -0400, BRH <BRH> wrote:
    >
    >>Yes, I have administrator rights. I get the message that the profile it
    >>creates is called "Spyder2express" but a) I can't find it anywhere and
    >>b) Even if I could find it, how do I load it? (I would have thought the
    >>software would take care of this automatically. It did on my desktop
    >>CRT.)

    > That's why I thought it might be a rights issue. Maybe it's
    > the XP version that's causing the problem.
    >
    >>Any idea what the "Profile Chooser" is? I can't find that anywhere
    >>either.

    > I assume it means in the display properties. In XP Pro I'd
    > bring up the display properties sheet, select the "Settings"
    > tab and click "Advanced" then select the "Color Management"
    > tab. There are probably other ways to get to it though.
    >
    > The actual profiles are normally in
    > <windows>\system32\spool\drivers\color (at least in XP Pro)
    > and I'd imagine that's where the Spyder software expects to
    > find them. Maybe the "Media Edition" of XP is confusing it.
    >
    > --
    > John Bean

    That is exactly where my Spyder2 profile is.

    Pete D, Sep 28, 2007
  6. BRH

    BRH Guest

    Pete D wrote:
    > "John Bean" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 17:02:51 -0400, BRH <BRH> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Yes, I have administrator rights. I get the message that the profile it
    >>>creates is called "Spyder2express" but a) I can't find it anywhere and
    >>>b) Even if I could find it, how do I load it? (I would have thought the
    >>>software would take care of this automatically. It did on my desktop
    >>>CRT.)

    >>That's why I thought it might be a rights issue. Maybe it's
    >>the XP version that's causing the problem.
    >>

    >>>Any idea what the "Profile Chooser" is? I can't find that anywhere
    >>>either.

    >>I assume it means in the display properties. In XP Pro I'd
    >>bring up the display properties sheet, select the "Settings"
    >>tab and click "Advanced" then select the "Color Management"
    >>tab. There are probably other ways to get to it though.
    >>
    >>The actual profiles are normally in
    >><windows>\system32\spool\drivers\color (at least in XP Pro)
    >>and I'd imagine that's where the Spyder software expects to
    >>find them. Maybe the "Media Edition" of XP is confusing it.
    >>
    >>--
    >>John Bean

    > That is exactly where my Spyder2 profile is.

    That's exactly where it's installed on my Media Center Laptop, too.
    Unfortunately, the system wasn't "finding" it upon boot-up. So, I
    right-clicked on the profile .icm file and chose "Associate....".
    Although I didn't know what this would do, I had it associate the
    profile with my default monitor, and now it appears to be working.

    Weird. It apparently had to be "associated" with the default monitor
    manually.

    Thanks for all the help!

    BRH, Sep 29, 2007