Spyder colour calibration packages.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Lionel, Jul 14, 2003.

  1. Lionel

    Lionel Guest

    My need for some sort of quality monitor (at least) calibration system
    has become very apparent.
    Looking at the Spyder systems at a local discount photographic place, I
    found the following prices (in $AUD):

    Spyder with OptiCAL
    Price: $850.00
    Spyder with PhotoCAL
    Price: $620.00

    Looking at the actual descriptions, I couldn't figure out what (if
    anything) makes the first package worth some 30% more than the other.
    Is anyone out there familiar with both?

    Lionel, Jul 14, 2003

  2. Lionel

    Matti Vuori Guest

    Lionel <> wrote in news:beu1lb$7ei$:
    > Looking at the actual descriptions, I couldn't figure out what (if
    > anything) makes the first package worth some 30% more than the other.
    > Is anyone out there familiar with both?

    No, but see
    <http://cn.pantone.com/products/products.asp?idArticle=312&idArea=3>

    "PhotoCAL is a feature-limited version of the acclaimed OptiCAL monitor
    calibration software." Check out the limitations and judge yourself whether
    they are worth the cost difference.

    --
    Matti Vuori, <http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/mvuori/index-e.htm>

    Matti Vuori, Jul 14, 2003

  3. Lionel

    John H Guest

    You should look around for a better discount place. The Spyder with
    Optical is advertised for $725 in a major Aussie design magazine, and
    I obtained phone quotes for $710 from a Sydney store. I paid $600 in
    Melbourne for a store demo unit only used a few times (they said).

    As far as I can see the main disadvantage of PhotoCAL is that you have
    to rely on subjective judgements for contrast and brightness, whereas
    in OptiCAL the unit helps you find the optimum settings.

    If you don't already have Photoshop, you should consider putting your
    money towards that program. Apart from the obvious reasons to have
    Photoshop if you're serious about your work, it comes with very good,
    free monitor calibration software.

    John

    John H, Jul 14, 2003
  4. Lionel

    Lionel Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 10:52:00 +0000 (UTC), in
    <Xns93B88D080C0E7mvuorikotisoonfi@193.229.0.31>, Matti Vuori
    <> said:

    >Lionel <> wrote in news:beu1lb$7ei$:
    >> Looking at the actual descriptions, I couldn't figure out what (if
    >> anything) makes the first package worth some 30% more than the other.
    >> Is anyone out there familiar with both?

    >No, but see
    ><http://cn.pantone.com/products/products.asp?idArticle=312&idArea=3>

    Thanks for the info, Matti, that's exactly what I needed to know. :)

    Lionel, Jul 14, 2003
  5. Lionel

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: John H

    >If you don't already have Photoshop, you should consider putting your
    >money towards that program. Apart from the obvious reasons to have
    >Photoshop if you're serious about your work, it comes with very good,
    >free monitor calibration software.

    The Adobe Gamma utility you're talking about isn't very accurate at all when
    compared to either of the Colorvision packages, since it relies almost totally
    on the user eyeballing the screen to set key parameters instead of measuring
    them with a puck like the Spyder. It's better than nothing but definitely no
    substitute for a hardware calibrator.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Jul 14, 2003
  6. Lionel

    Steve James Guest

    Jimmy <> wrote:

    > This price is for the CRT version only. The CRT/LCD version that most
    > vendors are advertising sells for more.

    If you use a CRT, look around the web for the old CRT version bundled
    with Photocal. It can be found at a big discount and is a great deal if
    you don't need to calibrate andLCD monitor. Photocal allows only two
    options for gamma: 1.8 and 2.2, and two options for Color temperature:
    6500K or 5000K. That covers what the majority of users need. If you
    want more versatility you can pay the extra for Optical software. I'm
    very happy with my CRT only Spyder plus Photocal plus a 19" Sony CRT
    G400 monitor.
    --
    To email me use: sjusenet AT comcast DOT net

    Steve James, Jul 14, 2003