    ----------------------
    WoWsat.com
    ----------------------

    R Green - WoWsat.com, Feb 10, 2004

  2. R Green - WoWsat.com

    johns Guest

    Neither of those programs will remove the dropper. Until
    and unless they begin to include this capability, you are
    just wasting your time running them. Of course they are
    going to find the same stuff over and over, and miss a
    lot of it too. You may have run across a part of the
    dropper .. or one of its unpacks.

    johns

    johns, Feb 11, 2004

  3. Pardon my ignorance, but what's a "dropper?"

    --
    R Green
    Tech Support

    R Green - WoWsat.com, Feb 11, 2004
  4. R Green - WoWsat.com

    johns Guest

    > Pardon my ignorance, but what's a "dropper?"

    HOLY CAT! GUYS .. and this is a security group?
    This crap that we get daily ... if you want to experience
    first hand what a dropper is .. go out and find Bargain
    Buddy and get it down on a computer that you don't
    really care if it gets totally hacked. Make sure that
    you reboot several times, and also leave it on the
    network for a day or two while you do it !!!!
    Notice how it gets slower and slower, and more
    and more bullshit shows up on the start menu .. along
    with IE homepage being hijacked to some search
    site. Then run Spybot and AdAware ( 6.0 with latest
    stuff ) over and over with rebooting .. and watch
    the stinking crap keep showing up again and again
    under Temp Internet Files .. and your homepage
    .... and weird Services keep coming back. That is
    because there is a Main package ( called a dropper )
    that came down, and buried itself under Startup,
    and in System32, and possibly under "Names"
    directory .. and I've seen it in a 2nd Recycle Bin
    ...... you have to spot these things by searching for
    recent downloads and files and manually deleting
    them. Most of the time, you can actually locate
    the little bastard, but sometimes the new versions
    are really buried .... like in System Information
    Folder .. which is where the Damn Danes are putting
    their mp3 ftp servers. We really ought to discuss this
    on this group more.

    johns

    johns, Feb 12, 2004
  5. R Green - WoWsat.com

    George Mann Guest

    "R Green - WoWsat.com" <[news]@wowsat.com> wrote in

    > Anyone else having the same "problem?" I run Spybot almost daily and
    > have noticed something strange... recently (as in two weeks ago), I've
    > noticed that each time I run Spybot Search & Destroy, it would give me
    > a "Congratulations, there are no immediate threats" message... I find
    > this strange, especially when I would *always* find at least 3-4 items
    > that are not kosher (ie. just harmless cookies installed)... Out of
    > curiosity, I ran Ad-aware immediately after running Spybot, and it
    > gave me a slew of warnings (which is normal). Then, I ran my Norton
    > and it says that there's a MyDoom virus under the Ad-aware directory.
    >
    > Did anyone find a virus under your Ad-aware too? I'm sure I'm not the
    > only one...

    I would get rid of both Norton and Ad-Aware! Reinstall Spybot and use
    Antivir (www.free-av.com).

    George Mann, Feb 17, 2004
  6. R Green - WoWsat.com

    Zarggg Guest

    George Mann wrote on 17 Feb 04 03:11:
    > "R Green - WoWsat.com" <[news]@wowsat.com> wrote in
    >
    >> Anyone else having the same "problem?" I run Spybot almost daily
    >> and have noticed something strange... recently (as in two weeks
    >> ago), I've noticed that each time I run Spybot Search & Destroy, it
    >> would give me a "Congratulations, there are no immediate threats"
    >> message... I find this strange, especially when I would *always*
    >> find at least 3-4 items that are not kosher (ie. just harmless
    >> cookies installed)... Out of curiosity, I ran Ad-aware immediately
    >> after running Spybot, and it gave me a slew of warnings (which is
    >> normal). Then, I ran my Norton and it says that there's a MyDoom
    >> virus under the Ad-aware directory.
    >>
    >> Did anyone find a virus under your Ad-aware too? I'm sure I'm not
    >> the only one...

    > I would get rid of both Norton and Ad-Aware! Reinstall Spybot and use
    > Antivir (www.free-av.com).

    Get rid of Ad-Aware? Why ever would you do that? I always recommend the
    use of *both* Ad-Aware *and* Spybot-S&D.
    --
    Zarggg
    KeyID: 0xC00D540D

    Zarggg, Feb 18, 2004
  7. R Green - WoWsat.com

    vb Guest

    "Zarggg" <> wrote in message
    > George Mann wrote on 17 Feb 04 03:11:
    > > "R Green - WoWsat.com" <[news]@wowsat.com> wrote in
    > >
    > >> Anyone else having the same "problem?" I run Spybot almost daily
    > >> and have noticed something strange... recently (as in two weeks
    > >> ago), I've noticed that each time I run Spybot Search & Destroy, it
    > >> would give me a "Congratulations, there are no immediate threats"
    > >> message... I find this strange, especially when I would *always*
    > >> find at least 3-4 items that are not kosher (ie. just harmless
    > >> cookies installed)... Out of curiosity, I ran Ad-aware immediately
    > >> after running Spybot, and it gave me a slew of warnings (which is
    > >> normal). Then, I ran my Norton and it says that there's a MyDoom
    > >> virus under the Ad-aware directory.
    > >>
    > >> Did anyone find a virus under your Ad-aware too? I'm sure I'm not
    > >> the only one...

    > > I would get rid of both Norton and Ad-Aware! Reinstall Spybot and use
    > > Antivir (www.free-av.com).

    > Get rid of Ad-Aware? Why ever would you do that? I always recommend the
    > use of *both* Ad-Aware *and* Spybot-S&D.
    > --
    > Zarggg
    > KeyID: 0xC00D540D
    > <http://www.zarggg.net/>
    > See <http://www.zarggg.net/contact.html> for contact information.

    I agree, use both AdAware and Spybot together.

    V.B.

    vb, Feb 18, 2004