Spybot - S&D v.1.3 (TeaTimer)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Michael, May 16, 2004.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    I can find nothing in the helpfile or website as to what the System Settings
    Protection resident (TeaTimer) is nor much on the IE Protection resident
    (SDHelper). Anyone know what these are or where I can read some detail on
    them. Also where is the registry backup stored and how can it be updated
    from the program. Thanks for any information on these points.

    --
    Regards
    Michael, May 16, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Michael

    °Mike° Guest

    The TeaTimer is a system startup monitor; much
    like WinPatrol. It monitors for malware that tries
    to set itself to run at Windows startup, with the
    option to override.

    SDHelper is a BHO that blocks known malicious
    downloads in Internet Explorer.

    Backups are kept in:

    \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\
    Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery

    or

    \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\
    Spybot - Search & Destroy\Backups


    On Sun, 16 May 2004 06:51:12 +0100, in
    <c86vgc$ogr$>
    Michael scrawled:

    >I can find nothing in the helpfile or website as to what the System Settings
    >Protection resident (TeaTimer) is nor much on the IE Protection resident
    >(SDHelper). Anyone know what these are or where I can read some detail on
    >them. Also where is the registry backup stored and how can it be updated
    >from the program. Thanks for any information on these points.


    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
    °Mike°, May 16, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Michael

    Michael Guest

    °Mike° wrote:
    > The TeaTimer is a system startup monitor; much
    > like WinPatrol. It monitors for malware that tries
    > to set itself to run at Windows startup, with the
    > option to override.
    >
    > SDHelper is a BHO that blocks known malicious
    > downloads in Internet Explorer.
    >
    > Backups are kept in:
    >
    > \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\
    > Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery
    >
    > or
    >
    > \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\
    > Spybot - Search & Destroy\Backups
    >
    >
    > On Sun, 16 May 2004 06:51:12 +0100, in
    > <c86vgc$ogr$>
    > Michael scrawled:
    >
    >> I can find nothing in the helpfile or website as to what the System
    >> Settings Protection resident (TeaTimer) is nor much on the IE
    >> Protection resident (SDHelper). Anyone know what these are or where
    >> I can read some detail on them. Also where is the registry backup
    >> stored and how can it be updated from the program. Thanks for any
    >> information on these points.


    Thanks for this °Mike°. I can see no obvious way to update the backup reg
    file from the program and wonder if this is a problem because resetting to
    this know good point after a large malware problem might lose good amendents
    made in the meantime. The XP System Restore point is probably safer.

    --
    Regards
    Michael, May 16, 2004
    #3
  4. Michael

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 16 May 2004 19:58:06 +0100, in
    <c88djq$2iv$>
    Michael scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >> The TeaTimer is a system startup monitor; much
    >> like WinPatrol. It monitors for malware that tries
    >> to set itself to run at Windows startup, with the
    >> option to override.
    >>
    >> SDHelper is a BHO that blocks known malicious
    >> downloads in Internet Explorer.
    >>
    >> Backups are kept in:
    >>
    >> \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\
    >> Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery
    >>
    >> or
    >>
    >> \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\
    >> Spybot - Search & Destroy\Backups


    <snip>

    >Thanks for this °Mike°. I can see no obvious way to update the backup reg
    >file from the program and wonder if this is a problem because resetting to
    >this know good point after a large malware problem might lose good amendents
    >made in the meantime. The XP System Restore point is probably safer.


    What do you mean by "update the backup reg"?
    If you mean reversing a change, that's done from
    the 'Recovery' button, and only undoes changes
    made by the program -- nothing will be changed
    in your system, other than that.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
    °Mike°, May 16, 2004
    #4
  5. Michael

    Michael Guest

    °Mike° wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 May 2004 19:58:06 +0100, in
    > <c88djq$2iv$>
    > Michael scrawled:
    >
    >> °Mike° wrote:
    >>> The TeaTimer is a system startup monitor; much
    >>> like WinPatrol. It monitors for malware that tries
    >>> to set itself to run at Windows startup, with the
    >>> option to override.
    >>>
    >>> SDHelper is a BHO that blocks known malicious
    >>> downloads in Internet Explorer.
    >>>
    >>> Backups are kept in:
    >>>
    >>> \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\
    >>> Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery
    >>>
    >>> or
    >>>
    >>> \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\
    >>> Spybot - Search & Destroy\Backups

    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >> Thanks for this °Mike°. I can see no obvious way to update the
    >> backup reg file from the program and wonder if this is a problem
    >> because resetting to this know good point after a large malware
    >> problem might lose good amendents made in the meantime. The XP
    >> System Restore point is probably safer.

    >
    > What do you mean by "update the backup reg"?
    > If you mean reversing a change, that's done from
    > the 'Recovery' button, and only undoes changes
    > made by the program -- nothing will be changed
    > in your system, other than that.


    Perhaps I have this confused but when I first ran v.1.3 it gave me the
    option to backup the registry which made the reg files regLocal and regUsers
    in the backups directory. It was said that these could be used after a
    serious malware problem as reference to restore to orginal state. I accept
    or at least hope that these entire reg files would not be merged with the
    current registry if this were the case but even if a part of them were they
    would not necessarily be the most current settings and it seemed as if there
    should be a button to refresh these files. This is entirely separate to the
    recovery files. Thanks.

    --
    Regards
    Michael, May 16, 2004
    #5
  6. Michael

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 16 May 2004 22:27:26 +0100, in
    <c88mbq$ct2$>
    Michael scrawled:

    <snip>

    >Perhaps I have this confused but when I first ran v.1.3 it gave me the
    >option to backup the registry which made the reg files regLocal and regUsers
    >in the backups directory. It was said that these could be used after a
    >serious malware problem as reference to restore to orginal state. I accept
    >or at least hope that these entire reg files would not be merged with the
    >current registry if this were the case but even if a part of them were they
    >would not necessarily be the most current settings and it seemed as if there
    >should be a button to refresh these files. This is entirely separate to the
    >recovery files. Thanks.


    They are merely "exported" .reg files (in REGEDIT4 format),
    and yes, they would be merged in their entirety; that's the
    point of backing up the entire registry. They only need
    to be double clicked, or right click 'Merge' from Windows
    Explorer. All processes should be terminated before doing
    this; I suppose that's why Patrick didn't include the option
    to restore from within the program. Though ideally, this
    should be done on a reboot, before Windows fully loads,
    and an option for this in the program would be, perhaps,
    a good idea. Of course, users of Windows 9x can do
    this from DOS.

    Frankly, if you have System Restore active, you shouldn't
    need these, anyway.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
    °Mike°, May 16, 2004
    #6
  7. Michael

    Michael Guest

    °Mike° wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 May 2004 22:27:26 +0100, in
    > <c88mbq$ct2$>
    > Michael scrawled:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >> Perhaps I have this confused but when I first ran v.1.3 it gave me
    >> the option to backup the registry which made the reg files regLocal
    >> and regUsers in the backups directory. It was said that these could
    >> be used after a serious malware problem as reference to restore to
    >> orginal state. I accept or at least hope that these entire reg files
    >> would not be merged with the current registry if this were the case
    >> but even if a part of them were they would not necessarily be the
    >> most current settings and it seemed as if there should be a button
    >> to refresh these files. This is entirely separate to the recovery
    >> files. Thanks.

    >
    > They are merely "exported" .reg files (in REGEDIT4 format),
    > and yes, they would be merged in their entirety; that's the
    > point of backing up the entire registry. They only need
    > to be double clicked, or right click 'Merge' from Windows
    > Explorer. All processes should be terminated before doing
    > this; I suppose that's why Patrick didn't include the option
    > to restore from within the program. Though ideally, this
    > should be done on a reboot, before Windows fully loads,
    > and an option for this in the program would be, perhaps,
    > a good idea. Of course, users of Windows 9x can do
    > this from DOS.
    >
    > Frankly, if you have System Restore active, you shouldn't
    > need these, anyway.


    Thanks

    --
    Regards
    Michael, May 16, 2004
    #7
  8. Michael

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 16 May 2004 22:46:24 +0100, in
    <c88nfb$d5r$>
    Michael scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >> On Sun, 16 May 2004 22:27:26 +0100, in
    >> <c88mbq$ct2$>
    >> Michael scrawled:


    <snip>

    >> Frankly, if you have System Restore active, you shouldn't
    >> need these, anyway.

    >
    >Thanks


    You're welcome.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
    °Mike°, May 16, 2004
    #8
  9. Michael

    Doc Guest

    °Mike° <> wrote in news:40cadf1c.12221000@localhost:

    >
    > They are merely "exported" .reg files (in REGEDIT4 format),
    > and yes, they would be merged in their entirety;
    >


    Surely, if malware ADDED extra keys to the registry - as well as modifying
    existing keys - then merging the backup into the registry will 'repair' the
    modified keys, but do absolutely nothing about the added keys.

    Sounds like your registry could end up very broken or disjointed.

    --
    aardvark (ard'-vark) a controversial animal with a long probing nose used
    for sniffing out the facts and stimulating thought and discussion.
    Doc, May 17, 2004
    #9
  10. Michael

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 17 May 2004 07:35:49 GMT, in
    <Xns94ECC75C54554Aardvark@203.96.92.12>
    Doc scrawled:

    >°Mike° <> wrote in news:40cadf1c.12221000@localhost:
    >
    >>
    >> They are merely "exported" .reg files (in REGEDIT4 format),
    >> and yes, they would be merged in their entirety;
    >>

    >
    >Surely, if malware ADDED extra keys to the registry - as well as modifying
    >existing keys - then merging the backup into the registry will 'repair' the
    >modified keys, but do absolutely nothing about the added keys.
    >
    >Sounds like your registry could end up very broken or disjointed.


    That's very true, unless you have Windows 9x.
    Isn't XP wonderful?

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
    °Mike°, May 17, 2004
    #10
  11. Michael

    Hello Guest

    On Mon, 17 May 2004 07:35:49 GMT, Doc <postmaster@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:


    >Surely, if malware ADDED extra keys to the registry - as well as modifying
    >existing keys - then merging the backup into the registry will 'repair' the
    >modified keys, but do absolutely nothing about the added keys.
    >
    >Sounds like your registry could end up very broken or disjointed.


    That's what I was thinking. IIUC, the freeware ERUNT handles this
    problem

    http://www.pricelessware.org/2004/PL2004SYSTEMUTILITIES.htm
    Hello, May 19, 2004
    #11
  12. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Doc wrote:
    > °Mike° <> wrote in
    > news:40cadf1c.12221000@localhost:
    >
    >>
    >> They are merely "exported" .reg files (in REGEDIT4 format),
    >> and yes, they would be merged in their entirety;
    >>

    >
    > Surely, if malware ADDED extra keys to the registry - as well as
    > modifying existing keys - then merging the backup into the registry
    > will 'repair' the modified keys, but do absolutely nothing about the
    > added keys.
    >
    > Sounds like your registry could end up very broken or disjointed.


    Yes that was thrust of my original point. Using an old, non-updated entire
    registry export is a very dangerous thing to do particularly when windows
    keeps more current backups (those created via system restore in xp and those
    backed up to the sysbackup folder in 98). I wonder if this function should
    be included at all in SpyBot. From the original wording I wondered if it
    might refer to the backup in some intelligent non-bulk way.

    --
    Regards
    Michael, May 20, 2004
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Jimmy Dean

    Question re SpyBot's TeaTimer

    Jimmy Dean, Dec 3, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    2,306
    °Mike°
    Dec 4, 2004
  2. Dardamar

    Teatimer

    Dardamar, Jul 11, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    620
    nevillenevilleson
    Jul 12, 2005
  3. ROBERT BROOKS

    teatimer.exe

    ROBERT BROOKS, Oct 30, 2004, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    537
    bambam
    Oct 31, 2004
  4. ROBERT BROOKS

    teatimer.exe

    ROBERT BROOKS, Nov 3, 2004, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    595
  5. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    869
Loading...

Share This Page