    Avenger©
    I *HATE* Spam
    A Spam Hater Since 1951

    Avenger©, Dec 3, 2004

  2. Avenger©

    Jay Guest

    I hate to spam the thread here but its fitting to do so - I thought Avenger
    might get a kick out of this story and others here might appreciate the info

    http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/12/02/anti.spamvigi.ap/index.html

    Im in no way affiliated with CNN :)

    Its a grassroots effort that is a background process screensaver that
    packets known spammers IP's (maintained and evaluated by the designer...)
    attempting to effectively bring spamming systems to a crawl. details are in
    the article

    I can see why this would.. and wouldnt.. work :)

    Anyone heard of this or used it?

    Tis a wonderful idea - talk amongst yourselves!

    Jay, Dec 3, 2004

  3. Avenger©

    trout Guest

    Jay wrote:

    > I hate to spam the thread here but its fitting to do so - I thought
    > Avenger might get a kick out of this story and others here might
    > appreciate the info

    http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/12/02/anti.spamvigi.ap/index.html

    > Im in no way affiliated with CNN :)
    >
    > Its a grassroots effort that is a background process screensaver that
    > packets known spammers IP's (maintained and evaluated by the
    > designer...) attempting to effectively bring spamming systems to a
    > crawl. details are in the article
    >
    > I can see why this would.. and wouldnt.. work :)
    >
    > Anyone heard of this or used it?
    >
    > Tis a wonderful idea - talk amongst yourselves!

    I haven't checked the link; but this sounds like the subject of a
    thread ("Payback") three days ago.
    --
    "If nothing else, it serves as a reminder that 'talking amongst
    ourselves' may not be something to wish for."

    trout, Dec 3, 2004
  4. Avenger©

    Jay Guest

    aye it appears you be right, matey.

    I apoligize for the repeat - wasnt intentional. i only have a few of the
    'payback' messages in thread..

    arrrrrrr!
    - Jay

    Jay, Dec 3, 2004
  5. Avenger©

    trout Guest

    Jay wrote:

    > aye it appears you be right, matey.
    >
    > I apoligize for the repeat - wasnt intentional. i only have a few of
    > the 'payback' messages in thread..
    >
    > arrrrrrr!
    > - Jay

    No need to apologize. There's a lot of traffic in the newsgroup.
    There are plenty of people that hadn't seen the thread; and it does
    invoke some interesting questions. *Do* 'two wrongs make a right'? Is it
    okay to spam the spammer? Does the end justify the means?
    And will Jessica realize that she's actually married to her
    brother's cousin's pool-boy's evil twin? Indeed, there's some pondering
    to be done.
    In truth, even the subject of the thread is a re-run, today. That's
    okay.
    --
    "If I haven't seen it; it's News to me."

    trout, Dec 3, 2004
  6. Avenger©

    SwissTony Guest

    "Jay" <> wrote in message
    > I hate to spam the thread here but its fitting to do so - I thought

    Avenger
    > might get a kick out of this story and others here might appreciate the

    info

    > http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/12/02/anti.spamvigi.ap/index.html
    >
    > Im in no way affiliated with CNN :)
    >
    > Its a grassroots effort that is a background process screensaver that
    > packets known spammers IP's (maintained and evaluated by the designer...)
    > attempting to effectively bring spamming systems to a crawl. details are

    in
    > the article
    >
    > I can see why this would.. and wouldnt.. work :)
    >
    > Anyone heard of this or used it?
    >
    > Tis a wonderful idea - talk amongst yourselves!

    I already have the screensaver, only sends a very small amount of kbs a day
    so even 56kers can use it.
    I got it from here which is the offical webpage for it
    http://makelovenotspam.com/
    Seems to be being updated at the mo.

    SwissTony, Dec 3, 2004
  7. Avenger©

    Anthropy Guest

    On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 09:46:04 -0000, "SwissTony" <>
    wrote:

    >"Jay" <> wrote in message
    >> I hate to spam the thread here but its fitting to do so - I thought

    >Avenger
    >> might get a kick out of this story and others here might appreciate the

    >info
    >>
    >> http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/12/02/anti.spamvigi.ap/index.html
    >>
    >> Im in no way affiliated with CNN :)
    >>
    >> Its a grassroots effort that is a background process screensaver that
    >> packets known spammers IP's (maintained and evaluated by the designer...)
    >> attempting to effectively bring spamming systems to a crawl. details are

    >in
    >> the article
    >>
    >> I can see why this would.. and wouldnt.. work :)
    >>
    >> Anyone heard of this or used it?
    >>
    >> Tis a wonderful idea - talk amongst yourselves!

    >I already have the screensaver, only sends a very small amount of kbs a day
    >so even 56kers can use it.
    >I got it from here which is the offical webpage for it
    >http://makelovenotspam.com/
    >Seems to be being updated at the mo.

    I read that the screensaver is "to" successful and is in danger of
    being classified as a DOS attack. Seems some of the spamming sites are
    being overloaded so much they are on the verge of collapse. The
    spammers have even hacked the site where the screensaver originates
    with the message that it's not right to attack spammers in this way so
    it must be making someone angry.
    I, like everyone hate spam but I would hate even more censorship of
    the net. This could be construed as such. Just because the majority
    agree that spam is a pain in the ass, by running the screensaver you
    are taking part in an activity which could be classified as
    censorship. Maybe the next topic that people want to ban, you won't
    agree with but the precedent has been set.

    Anthropy, Dec 3, 2004
  8. Avenger©

    kenos Guest

    Jay wrote:
    > aye it appears you be right, matey.
    >
    > I apoligize for the repeat - wasnt intentional. i only have a few of the
    > 'payback' messages in thread..
    >
    > arrrrrrr!
    > - Jay
    >
    > "trout" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Jay wrote:
    >>

    >>>I hate to spam the thread here but its fitting to do so - I thought
    >>>Avenger might get a kick out of this story and others here might
    >>>appreciate the info
    >>>

    >>http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/12/02/anti.spamvigi.ap/index.html
    >>
    >>>Im in no way affiliated with CNN :)
    >>>
    >>>Its a grassroots effort that is a background process screensaver that
    >>>packets known spammers IP's (maintained and evaluated by the
    >>>designer...) attempting to effectively bring spamming systems to a
    >>>crawl. details are in the article
    >>>
    >>>I can see why this would.. and wouldnt.. work :)
    >>>
    >>>Anyone heard of this or used it?
    >>>
    >>>Tis a wonderful idea - talk amongst yourselves!

    >> I haven't checked the link; but this sounds like the subject of a
    >>thread ("Payback") three days ago.
    >>--
    >>"If nothing else, it serves as a reminder that 'talking amongst
    >>ourselves' may not be something to wish for."

    Thanks

    kenos, Dec 3, 2004
  9. Avenger©

    kenos Guest