SpyBot result question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by davo, Jul 21, 2007.

  1. davo

    davo Guest

    I have windows xp SP 2 home edition. After scanning with spybot, 2 items
    turn up under problems as follows:
    Settings
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\AuthorizedApplic.....

    It just ends with the dot dot dot, and the 2nd item is same as 1st, except
    for "ControlSet001". These 2 statementsare under the Registry Value. When I
    asked for help, this was what the Help Button says:

    Company:

    Product: Microsoft.Windows.IEFirewallBypass

    Threat: Security

    Description

    This is beeing flagged whenever the IE is configured to accept incoming
    connections through the Windows Firewall. Normally the IE does not need to
    accept incoming connections like servers do. This can be changed by malware
    but also by online antivirus scanners. If you do not use the Windows
    Firewall or use online scanners frequently you may want to ignore this.

    Is this something that I should indicate needs fixing? I'm a newb and don't
    know what these things mean. Thanks anyone (sorry for the small
    print--happened when I cut/pasted the security threat info)

    davo, Jul 21, 2007

  2. davo

    davo Guest

    "davo" <> wrote in message
    >I have windows xp SP 2 home edition. After scanning with spybot, 2 items
    >turn up under problems as follows:
    > Settings
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\AuthorizedApplic.....
    >
    > It just ends with the dot dot dot, and the 2nd item is same as 1st, except
    > for "ControlSet001". These 2 statementsare under the Registry Value. When
    > I asked for help, this was what the Help Button says:
    >
    > Company:
    >
    > Product: Microsoft.Windows.IEFirewallBypass
    >
    > Threat: Security
    >

    > Description
    >
    > This is beeing flagged whenever the IE is configured to accept incoming
    > connections through the Windows Firewall. Normally the IE does not need to
    > accept incoming connections like servers do. This can be changed by
    > malware but also by online antivirus scanners. If you do not use the
    > Windows Firewall or use online scanners frequently you may want to ignore
    > this.
    >
    > Is this something that I should indicate needs fixing? I'm a newb and
    > don't know what these things mean. Thanks anyone (sorry for the small
    > print--happened when I cut/pasted the security threat info)

    About the "small print"=nevermind

    davo, Jul 21, 2007

  3. davo

    Guest

    "davo" <> wrote:

    >I have windows xp SP 2 home edition. After scanning with spybot, 2 items
    >turn up under problems as follows:
    >Settings
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\AuthorizedApplic.....
    >
    >It just ends with the dot dot dot, and the 2nd item is same as 1st, except
    >for "ControlSet001". These 2 statementsare under the Registry Value. When I
    >asked for help, this was what the Help Button says:

    Don't worry about it, unless you plan on using last known good config
    (F8)

    only the currentcontrolset is used
    --

    Warning: bible spoiler
    http://www.philosophiste.com/images/spoiler.jpg

    , Jul 21, 2007
  4. davo

    alone_one Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "davo" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have windows xp SP 2 home edition. After scanning with spybot, 2 items
    >>turn up under problems as follows:
    >>Settings
    >>
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\AuthorizedApplic.....
    >>
    >>It just ends with the dot dot dot, and the 2nd item is same as 1st, except
    >>for "ControlSet001". These 2 statementsare under the Registry Value. When
    >>asked for help, this was what the Help Button says:

    > Don't worry about it, unless you plan on using last known good config
    > (F8)
    >
    > only the currentcontrolset is use

    So, not even knowing what that is, do I say yes to "fix" the issue, or let
    it just keep popping up in my scan result and ignore it? (sorry, *extreme*
    newbie as I said) Thanks

    alone_one, Jul 21, 2007
  5. davo

    Guest

    "alone_one" <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> "davo" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have windows xp SP 2 home edition. After scanning with spybot, 2 items
    >>>turn up under problems as follows:
    >>>Settings
    >>>
    >>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\AuthorizedApplic.....
    >>>
    >>>It just ends with the dot dot dot, and the 2nd item is same as 1st, except
    >>>for "ControlSet001". These 2 statementsare under the Registry Value. When
    >>>asked for help, this was what the Help Button says:

    >> Don't worry about it, unless you plan on using last known good config
    >> (F8)
    >>
    >> only the currentcontrolset is use

    >So, not even knowing what that is, do I say yes to "fix" the issue, or let
    >it just keep popping up in my scan result and ignore it? (sorry, *extreme*
    >newbie as I said) Thanks

    Ya let it fix it, The registry keeps three different files
    currentcontrolset
    ControlSet001
    ControlSet002

    So if there is a problem you can go back to a set that worked
    previously - (F8) on startup

    --

    Warning: bible spoiler
    http://www.philosophiste.com/images/spoiler.jpg

    , Jul 21, 2007
  6. davo

    alone_one Guest

    >><> wrote in message

    >>> Don't worry about it, unless you plan on using last known good config
    >>> (F8)
    >>>
    >>> only the currentcontrolset is use

    >>So, not even knowing what that is, do I say yes to "fix" the issue, or let
    >>it just keep popping up in my scan result and ignore it? (sorry, *extreme*
    >>newbie as I said) Thanks

    > Ya let it fix it, The registry keeps three different files
    > currentcontrolset
    > ControlSet001
    > ControlSet002
    >
    > So if there is a problem you can go back to a set that worked
    > previously - (F8) on startup

    OK, that helps me a lot--thanks!
    davo

    alone_one, Jul 21, 2007
  7. davo

    Guest

    wrote:

    >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\AuthorizedApplic.....

    FWIW this is my key
    Key Name:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\AuthorizedApplications
    Class Name: <NO CLASS>

    Just a Default, not set.

    Also when working with the registry you really should run ERUNT first
    or have a recent backup on hand.

    Warning: bible spoiler
    http://www.philosophiste.com/images/spoiler.jpg

    , Jul 21, 2007
  8. davo

    davo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >
    >>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\AuthorizedApplic.....
    >>>>>

    > FWIW this is my key
    > Key Name:
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\AuthorizedApplications
    > Class Name: <NO CLASS>
    >
    > Just a Default, not set.
    >
    > Also when working with the registry you really should run ERUNT first
    > or have a recent backup on hand.
    > http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

    Well, here's my problem about that---I've never "worked with the
    registry"--never even seen it, don't know what it is/does, and I don't even
    know how or when to do a backup--I'm self taught, so I don't delve into
    things since I don't know what much means. But thank you for that link, I
    obviously need to do some reading. I've just tried to learn things as they
    come up, so thank you so much or all the info, I really appreciate it
    davo, aka alone one

    davo, Jul 21, 2007