Spybot reports Security Center issue - in XP SP1

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Terry Pinnell, Aug 16, 2005.

  1. Today I had a message from Spybot which I didn't understand.
    ---------
    Windows Security Center.AntiVirusOverride: Settings (Registry change,
    nothing done)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
    Center\AntiVirusOverride!=dword:0
    ---------

    What action should I take?

    From a little research, I get the impression that the 'Security
    Center' is a WinXP SP2 facility. I have SP1 so how can the message be
    valid?

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Aug 16, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Terry Pinnell

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 20:20:33 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:

    >Today I had a message from Spybot which I didn't understand.
    >---------
    >Windows Security Center.AntiVirusOverride: Settings (Registry change,
    >nothing done)
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
    >Center\AntiVirusOverride!=dword:0
    >---------
    >
    >What action should I take?


    www.google.com more :)

    >From a little research, I get the impression that the 'Security


    How much research is the point?

    >Center' is a WinXP SP2 facility. I have SP1 so how can the message be
    >valid?


    Are you sure it's SP1, you confirmed it by using 'winver' as you didn't
    get an SP2 upgrade automatically?

    You did see the S&D forum thread, and tried to follow the instructions,
    maybe even check your PC for trojans , spyware carefully then told S&D
    to ignore the changes?


    Me
    why?, Aug 16, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:

    >
    >On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 20:20:33 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >
    >>Today I had a message from Spybot which I didn't understand.
    >>---------
    >>Windows Security Center.AntiVirusOverride: Settings (Registry change,
    >>nothing done)
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
    >>Center\AntiVirusOverride!=dword:0
    >>---------
    >>
    >>What action should I take?

    >
    >www.google.com more :)


    Are you confident that will answer my specific question (about SP1)?
    I'm not. I didn't see a single post about that aspect in a couple of
    hours googling.

    >>From a little research, I get the impression that the 'Security

    >
    >How much research is the point?


    Answered above. Wouldn't it be more productive to attempt an answer to
    the questions I've raised, rather than waste your energy on sarcasm?

    >>Center' is a WinXP SP2 facility. I have SP1 so how can the message be
    >>valid?

    >
    >Are you sure it's SP1


    Yes.

    >, you confirmed it by using 'winver' as you didn't
    >get an SP2 upgrade automatically?


    Don't understand the latter part of your question. Perhaps because the
    first part was rhetorical? Anyway, I do think I'd know what version of
    WinXP I have been using for the last 2-3 years! Or does asking a
    question here automatically label me in your view as an ignorant fool?
    But, if it makes you happy, yes, winver is one of several
    confirmations. "Microsoft® Windows
    Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp2.040919-1003 : Service Pack 1)

    >You did see the S&D forum thread, and tried to follow the instructions,
    >maybe even check your PC for trojans , spyware carefully then told S&D
    >to ignore the changes?


    Try losing the rhetorical syntax. A little care with your grammar
    would help comprehension too. Ask me a straight question and I'll
    happily answer it. FWIW, I use Spybot and Adaware regularly, and
    rarely see problems.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Aug 16, 2005
    #3
  4. Terry Pinnell

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 21:28:31 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:

    >why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 20:20:33 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >>
    >>>Today I had a message from Spybot which I didn't understand.


    Many posts , forums all say it's an S & D bug, I had to use
    www.google.com to find that.

    If you want another option
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.security

    http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=AntiVirusOverride!=dword:0

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.privacy.spyware/browse_frm/thread/88625af0f6463251/ba1ee5ab552ad7b5?lnk=st&q=AntiVirusOverride!%3Ddword:0&rnum=1#ba1ee5ab552ad7b5

    Jul 29, 7:12 am hide options
    Newsgroups: alt.privacy.spyware
    From: JC
    Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 16:12:06 +1000
    Local: Fri, Jul 29 2005 7:12 am
    Subject: Re: SpyBot Definition File Update 25/07/05
    Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show
    original | Report Abuse

    <snipped lots>

    I tried to access this last night and it wouldn't load - DNS issues. I
    will
    try it later today.

    I did poke around in Security Center and found that under 'Change the
    way
    Security Center alerts me' I found that the Virus Protection tab was not
    ticked.
    I ticked it and re-ran SpyBot - no more warnings.

    A bit of a more refined search

    Spybot reports Security Center issue - SP1
    .... nothing done) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
    Center\AntiVirusOverride!=
    dword:0 ----- What action ... I have SP1 so how can the message be valid
    ....
    http://microsoft.public.windowsxp.general - Aug 17, 6:34 am by Alias - 6
    messages - 6 authors

    Spybot reports Security Center problem
    .... nothing done) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
    Center\AntiVirusOverride!=
    dword:0 ----- What action ... I have SP1 so how can the message be valid
    ....
    http://alt.privacy.spyware - Aug 17, 12:22 am by slate_leeper - 2
    messages - 2 authors

    Well you have asked in that group already, you had 1 reply.


    >>>---------
    >>>Windows Security Center.AntiVirusOverride: Settings (Registry change,
    >>>nothing done)
    >>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
    >>>Center\AntiVirusOverride!=dword:0
    >>>---------


    <snip>

    >>Are you sure it's SP1

    >
    >Yes.


    Maybe your current AV product doesn't play well with XP.

    Maybe you need SP2 now.

    >>, you confirmed it by using 'winver' as you didn't
    >>get an SP2 upgrade automatically?

    >
    >Don't understand the latter part of your question. Perhaps because the
    >first part was rhetorical? Anyway, I do think I'd know what version of


    It wasn't maybe , XP has a bad habit, by default of doing automatic
    updates.

    >WinXP I have been using for the last 2-3 years! Or does asking a


    XP is one thing, updates and SPs are 2 others.

    Details are always worth checking, sort of like this conversation at
    work.

    Reported phone fault, Person A keeps getting Person C calls.
    Confirm fault, speaking to A and C.
    Trace all connections for A and C , contact BT.
    Fix Person C, rewire.
    Person A reports never having a fault.
    Person B now reports phone cut off (the rewire for C).
    Person A was picking up calls from C's phone.

    A bit of detail correct diagnostics given, checking and confirmation
    always helps in any case. It saves time and effort having to ask
    questions for things you may have already done.

    >>You did see the S&D forum thread, and tried to follow the instructions,
    >>maybe even check your PC for trojans , spyware carefully then told S&D
    >>to ignore the changes?

    >
    >Try losing the rhetorical syntax. A little care with your grammar


    Not soon.

    >would help comprehension too. Ask me a straight question and I'll


    Who cares?

    >happily answer it. FWIW, I use Spybot and Adaware regularly, and
    >rarely see problems.


    Except this one.

    You didn't try the S & D Ignore option then? It's detecting a change, if
    you determine what ever is changing it it may be okay.

    Maybe you have a patch that expects some SP2 functions to be present?

    I would backup the registry , the key and delete it.


    Find out what the dword value options are for then run a registry
    monitor, manually change the key and see if anything changes it.


    Remove the current version of S & D , try an older 1 , if it's okay
    maybe it's the often discussed S & D bug.

    Me
    why?, Aug 16, 2005
    #4
  5. why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:

    >
    >On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 21:28:31 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >
    >>why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>>On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 20:20:33 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>Today I had a message from Spybot which I didn't understand.

    >
    >Many posts , forums all say it's an S & D bug, I had to use
    >www.google.com to find that.
    >
    >If you want another option
    >http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.security
    >
    >http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=AntiVirusOverride!=dword:0
    >
    >http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.privacy.spyware/browse_frm/thread/88625af0f6463251/ba1ee5ab552ad7b5?lnk=st&q=AntiVirusOverride!%3Ddword:0&rnum=1#ba1ee5ab552ad7b5
    >
    > Jul 29, 7:12 am hide options
    >Newsgroups: alt.privacy.spyware
    >From: JC
    >Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 16:12:06 +1000
    >Local: Fri, Jul 29 2005 7:12 am
    >Subject: Re: SpyBot Definition File Update 25/07/05
    >Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show
    >original | Report Abuse
    >
    ><snipped lots>
    >
    >I tried to access this last night and it wouldn't load - DNS issues. I
    >will
    >try it later today.
    >
    >I did poke around in Security Center and found that under 'Change the
    >way
    >Security Center alerts me' I found that the Virus Protection tab was not
    >ticked.
    >I ticked it and re-ran SpyBot - no more warnings.
    >
    >A bit of a more refined search
    >
    >Spybot reports Security Center issue - SP1
    >... nothing done) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
    >Center\AntiVirusOverride!=
    >dword:0 ----- What action ... I have SP1 so how can the message be valid
    >...
    >http://microsoft.public.windowsxp.general - Aug 17, 6:34 am by Alias - 6
    >messages - 6 authors
    >
    >Spybot reports Security Center problem
    >... nothing done) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
    >Center\AntiVirusOverride!=
    >dword:0 ----- What action ... I have SP1 so how can the message be valid
    >...
    >http://alt.privacy.spyware - Aug 17, 12:22 am by slate_leeper - 2
    >messages - 2 authors
    >
    >Well you have asked in that group already, you had 1 reply.
    >
    >
    >>>>---------
    >>>>Windows Security Center.AntiVirusOverride: Settings (Registry change,
    >>>>nothing done)
    >>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
    >>>>Center\AntiVirusOverride!=dword:0
    >>>>---------

    >
    ><snip>
    >
    >>>Are you sure it's SP1

    >>
    >>Yes.

    >
    >Maybe your current AV product doesn't play well with XP.
    >
    >Maybe you need SP2 now.
    >
    >>>, you confirmed it by using 'winver' as you didn't
    >>>get an SP2 upgrade automatically?

    >>
    >>Don't understand the latter part of your question. Perhaps because the
    >>first part was rhetorical? Anyway, I do think I'd know what version of

    >
    >It wasn't maybe , XP has a bad habit, by default of doing automatic
    >updates.
    >
    >>WinXP I have been using for the last 2-3 years! Or does asking a

    >
    >XP is one thing, updates and SPs are 2 others.
    >
    >Details are always worth checking, sort of like this conversation at
    >work.
    >
    >Reported phone fault, Person A keeps getting Person C calls.
    >Confirm fault, speaking to A and C.
    >Trace all connections for A and C , contact BT.
    >Fix Person C, rewire.
    >Person A reports never having a fault.
    >Person B now reports phone cut off (the rewire for C).
    >Person A was picking up calls from C's phone.
    >
    >A bit of detail correct diagnostics given, checking and confirmation
    >always helps in any case. It saves time and effort having to ask
    >questions for things you may have already done.
    >
    >>>You did see the S&D forum thread, and tried to follow the instructions,
    >>>maybe even check your PC for trojans , spyware carefully then told S&D
    >>>to ignore the changes?

    >>
    >>Try losing the rhetorical syntax. A little care with your grammar

    >
    >Not soon.
    >
    >>would help comprehension too. Ask me a straight question and I'll

    >
    >Who cares?
    >
    >>happily answer it. FWIW, I use Spybot and Adaware regularly, and
    >>rarely see problems.

    >
    >Except this one.
    >
    >You didn't try the S & D Ignore option then? It's detecting a change, if
    >you determine what ever is changing it it may be okay.
    >
    >Maybe you have a patch that expects some SP2 functions to be present?
    >
    >I would backup the registry , the key and delete it.
    >
    >
    >Find out what the dword value options are for then run a registry
    >monitor, manually change the key and see if anything changes it.
    >
    >
    >Remove the current version of S & D , try an older 1 , if it's okay
    >maybe it's the often discussed S & D bug.
    >
    >Me


    OK, thanks, quite a lot of useful suggestions to follow up there.

    My conclusions so far are:
    1. Spybot S&D is misleading in the way it reports this

    2. I have some leftover from my brief flirtation with SP2 a year ago

    3. I will ignore this (or 'Exclude' it) if (as I expect) it reoccurs

    4. I will probably delete the entire key as you suggest. (Here's what
    it looks like:
    http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Images/Security1.gif
    The data under all of those other Monitoring keys is identical, and
    just the default entry:
    Name Type Data
    (Default) REG_SZ (value not set)

    Thanks for your help.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Aug 16, 2005
    #5
  6. Terry Pinnell

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 23:43:42 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:

    >why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 21:28:31 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >>
    >>>why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>
    >>>>On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 20:20:33 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>>Today I had a message from Spybot which I didn't understand.

    >>
    >>Many posts , forums all say it's an S & D bug, I had to use
    >>www.google.com to find that.


    <snip>

    >>You didn't try the S & D Ignore option then? It's detecting a change, if
    >>you determine what ever is changing it it may be okay.
    >>
    >>Maybe you have a patch that expects some SP2 functions to be present?
    >>
    >>I would backup the registry , the key and delete it.
    >>
    >>
    >>Find out what the dword value options are for then run a registry
    >>monitor, manually change the key and see if anything changes it.
    >>
    >>
    >>Remove the current version of S & D , try an older 1 , if it's okay
    >>maybe it's the often discussed S & D bug.
    >>
    >>Me

    >
    >OK, thanks, quite a lot of useful suggestions to follow up there.
    >
    >My conclusions so far are:
    >1. Spybot S&D is misleading in the way it reports this
    >
    >2. I have some leftover from my brief flirtation with SP2 a year ago


    You had SP2 on that installation and removed it?

    >3. I will ignore this (or 'Exclude' it) if (as I expect) it reoccurs
    >
    >4. I will probably delete the entire key as you suggest. (Here's what
    >it looks like:
    >http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Images/Security1.gif
    >The data under all of those other Monitoring keys is identical, and
    >just the default entry:
    >Name Type Data
    >(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)


    There is a lot of AV/FW duplication there, clear out the product keys
    for the products no longer installed. Maybe the reporting is a key for
    something you don't have installed any more or that dword:0 was set when
    uninstalled.

    >Thanks for your help.


    YW.

    They don't let me near people at work either.

    Me
    why?, Aug 16, 2005
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    SpyBot Finds and Removes "Windows Security Center" Registry Value ...

    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, Aug 6, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,016
    Billh
    Aug 6, 2005
  2. code_wrong

    worm/spybot.17.t (worm spybot 17t) detected by AVG

    code_wrong, May 15, 2004, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    649
    code_wrong
    May 15, 2004
  3. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    628
  4. Victek
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    382
    Bill Tuthill
    Oct 1, 2007
  5. kiranrajan

    java reports memory issue

    kiranrajan, Nov 4, 2009, in forum: General Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,140
    kiranrajan
    Nov 4, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page