Spybot Questions

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bill, Sep 17, 2003.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    I just installed Spybot and have a few questions I couldn't understand in
    their help files. I did the scan and as they suggested, clicked on "Fix
    Problems." This process completed.. there are still some issues...

    1. Still many RED (problem) lines not dealt with.. they are all "Backweb
    Lite" entries:
    "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xxx\xxx
    and
    "HKEY_CLASSES_Local\xxx\xxx

    What do I do with all of these? "Fix" them or leave them alone..?

    2. There was something in the help files about "Alexa" but I didn't
    understand that. Said it had something to do with Microsoft IE. "Fix
    Problems" seems to have taken care of it.. but is it something I should have
    left?

    Thank you,
    --
    Bill
    Bill, Sep 17, 2003

  2. Bill

    trout Guest

    Bill wrote:

    > I just installed Spybot and have a few questions I couldn't
    > understand in their help files. I did the scan and as they
    > suggested, clicked on "Fix Problems." This process completed.. there
    > are still some issues...
    >
    > 1. Still many RED (problem) lines not dealt with.. they are all
    > "Backweb Lite" entries:
    > "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xxx\xxx
    > and
    > "HKEY_CLASSES_Local\xxx\xxx
    >
    > What do I do with all of these? "Fix" them or leave them alone..?

    Yes, fix them. Did you check the entries (or "select *all*
    problems), before 'fixing problems'?

    > 2. There was something in the help files about "Alexa" but I didn't
    > understand that. Said it had something to do with Microsoft IE. "Fix
    > Problems" seems to have taken care of it.. but is it something I
    > should have left?
    >
    > Thank you,

    It's Microsoft's little IE helper-spy. It records use, slows-down
    browsing, and you don't want it. You'll need to get rid of it again, any
    time you go to Windows Update.
    --
    "A program is only as good as the operator is informed."
    trout, Sep 17, 2003

  3. Bill

    Bill Guest

    "trout" thanks for the quick reply..
    Another question...
    I did the "Fix Problems" as mentioned in the first post.. but when I go to
    C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files" I continue to see the cookies from all
    the add information collection services. Should these be deleted? Are they
    automatically quarantined if I hit "Immunize"?

    I guess I don't understand how this works.. I thought "Fix" would have
    deleted all those spy type files.

    I'm sure I'll have a few more questions.

    Thanks again..

    Bill, Sep 17, 2003
  4. Bill

    trout Guest

    Bill wrote:

    > "trout" thanks for the quick reply..
    > Another question...
    > I did the "Fix Problems" as mentioned in the first post.. but when I
    > go to C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files" I continue to see the
    > cookies from all the add information collection services. Should
    > these be deleted? Are they automatically quarantined if I hit
    > "Immunize"?
    >
    > I guess I don't understand how this works.. I thought "Fix" would have
    > deleted all those spy type files.
    >
    > I'm sure I'll have a few more questions.
    >
    > Thanks again..

    Spybot S&D will search for, and deal with a number of 'file sets'.
    The first thing to do, is make sure you're opening the program in
    "Advanced Mode" (as oposed to Easy Mode). The program is generally
    installed with separate short-cuts to each version.
    When in Advanced mode; click Settings on the left menu, and then
    "File Sets", from the sub-menu. Look over the options; Temp files and
    cookies are included under "Usage tracks".
    Also, on the "Search & Destroy" page, you can click on File sets on
    the lower bar; and pick 'all', or a sub-set for that search.

    Immunization is a different matter. It will protect you from
    certain, known, malicious scripts from being executed. You should do
    this. Better yet; *also* get SpywareBlaster:
    <http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html>
    which does the same thing, more thoroughly (and doesn't require any
    'operation' other than occasionally checking for updates).

    > "trout" <> wrote in message
    >> Bill wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just installed Spybot and have a few questions I couldn't
    >>> understand in their help files. I did the scan and as they
    >>> suggested, clicked on "Fix Problems." This process completed..
    >>> there are still some issues...
    >>>
    >>> 1. Still many RED (problem) lines not dealt with.. they are all
    >>> "Backweb Lite" entries:
    >>> "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xxx\xxx
    >>> and

    trout, Sep 17, 2003
  5. Did you get that backweb shit from Logitech wireless optical software? I
    did.
    Go ahead and run regedit and find /delete all occurances of 'backweb'. Then
    it will be gone.

    --
    Want someone to fix your computer remotely?
    Check out Network info at this site:

    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/tips.htm
    "Bill" <> wrote in message
    > I just installed Spybot and have a few questions I couldn't understand in
    > their help files. I did the scan and as they suggested, clicked on "Fix
    > Problems." This process completed.. there are still some issues...
    >
    > 1. Still many RED (problem) lines not dealt with.. they are all "Backweb
    > Lite" entries:
    > "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xxx\xxx
    > and
    > "HKEY_CLASSES_Local\xxx\xxx
    >
    > What do I do with all of these? "Fix" them or leave them alone..?
    >
    > 2. There was something in the help files about "Alexa" but I didn't
    > understand that. Said it had something to do with Microsoft IE. "Fix
    > Problems" seems to have taken care of it.. but is it something I should

    have
    > left?
    >
    > Thank you,
    > --
    > Bill

    ---
    BananaPannaPoe-, Sep 17, 2003
  6. Bill

    Bill Guest

    I doubt it.. I don't have any Logitec on my puter..
    Not a techie.. so, I'll have to ask a friend about the regedit advice and
    how to do it without screwing anything up.

    Thanks again, Bill

    Bill, Sep 17, 2003
  7. Bill

    Cassie Guest

    Backweb also comes with Compaq and HP computers - a present built into the
    software. So perhaps this is the origin for you ... ?
    ~~~~~

    Cassie, Sep 18, 2003
  8. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Yes, could be.. I have a Compaq Presario... about 3-4 yrs old. Hope I
    didn't do a bad thing by removing them.

    Bill

    Bill, Sep 18, 2003
  9. Bill

    Richard Guest

    Bill wrote:
    > Yes, could be.. I have a Compaq Presario... about 3-4 yrs old. Hope I
    > didn't do a bad thing by removing them.

    Hi Bill,

    Backweb is a program preinstalled by Compaq to enable updates to be made to
    your Compaq programs, eg drivers for mouse. Compaq don't want to know you
    now that your computer is that old and you probably didn't need the updates
    anyway. Go to Add/Remove Programmes and uninstall. Then run Regcleaner,
    Adaware, Spybot S&D and clean out any left over crap.
    Richard, Sep 18, 2003