SpyBot Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Julie P., Jun 18, 2004.

  1. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    Hi, I have SpyBot 1.3 set to block illegal downloads to my computer, and
    alert me when doing so.

    Here is the problem:

    When I have multiple IE6 windows open, and I go to a page, such as eBay,
    which has this spyware, SpyBot transfers me (shifts the focus) to the very
    first (or most recent?) IE6 window I had open which had this spyware blocked
    previously, even though this window has nothing to do with my current
    browsing. I get dialog boxes alerting me that the download has been blocked,
    for example: "SpyBot S&D has blocked the download of 'Double Click'!". I
    have to click "ok", then find the IE window I was just at by looking at the
    bottom explorer bar. Very annoying, since I often have lots of windows open.

    I could simply choose the option where SpyBot blocks downloads in the
    background, passively, instead of the one where I get notified. But I want
    to learn which websites in the course of my browsing are using such spyware.
    Why does SpyBot do this, and how can I stop it?

    Thanks for any help!

    J.

    Julie P., Jun 18, 2004

  2. Julie P.

    D Guest

    Cookies are not illegal, as yet, and are required for accessing many sites
    They are only spyware if designed as such
    Yr obviously paranoid, I would suggest not using yr pc

    D, Jun 19, 2004

  3. Julie P.

    Parko Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 01:12:02 +0100, D wrote:

    > Cookies are not illegal, as yet, and are required for accessing many sites
    > They are only spyware if designed as such
    > Yr obviously paranoid, I would suggest not using yr pc
    >
    > "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    >> Hi, I have SpyBot 1.3 set to block illegal downloads to my computer, and
    >> alert me when doing so.
    >>
    >> Here is the problem:
    >>
    >> When I have multiple IE6 windows open, and I go to a page, such as eBay,
    >> which has this spyware, SpyBot transfers me (shifts the focus) to the very
    >> first (or most recent?) IE6 window I had open which had this spyware

    > blocked
    >> previously, even though this window has nothing to do with my current
    >> browsing. I get dialog boxes alerting me that the download has been

    > blocked,
    >> for example: "SpyBot S&D has blocked the download of 'Double Click'!". I
    >> have to click "ok", then find the IE window I was just at by looking at

    > the
    >> bottom explorer bar. Very annoying, since I often have lots of windows

    > open.
    >>
    >> I could simply choose the option where SpyBot blocks downloads in the
    >> background, passively, instead of the one where I get notified. But I want
    >> to learn which websites in the course of my browsing are using such

    > spyware.
    >> Why does SpyBot do this, and how can I stop it?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help!
    >>
    >> J.

    Yeah, that's smart advice unless its meant to be tongue in cheek ;)
    And don't top post.

    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345

    Parko, Jun 19, 2004
  4. Julie P.

    Parko Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:44:16 -0400, Julie P. wrote:

    > Hi, I have SpyBot 1.3 set to block illegal downloads to my computer, and
    > alert me when doing so.
    >
    > Here is the problem:
    >
    > When I have multiple IE6 windows open, and I go to a page, such as eBay,
    > which has this spyware, SpyBot transfers me (shifts the focus) to the very
    > first (or most recent?) IE6 window I had open which had this spyware blocked
    > previously, even though this window has nothing to do with my current
    > browsing. I get dialog boxes alerting me that the download has been blocked,
    > for example: "SpyBot S&D has blocked the download of 'Double Click'!". I
    > have to click "ok", then find the IE window I was just at by looking at the
    > bottom explorer bar. Very annoying, since I often have lots of windows open.
    >
    > I could simply choose the option where SpyBot blocks downloads in the
    > background, passively, instead of the one where I get notified. But I want
    > to learn which websites in the course of my browsing are using such spyware.
    > Why does SpyBot do this, and how can I stop it?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!

    a) Use a decent web browser. Mozilla, Firefox, Opera. The're less
    susceptible to spyware etcetera. Tabbed web browsers are tops.
    b) SpyBot is doing its job and you should be thankful.
    c) Block install on demand amd ActiivX controls if you must use IE.
    d) Stop visiting dubious (morally and legally) websites.
    e) Get a recent hardware firewall as in a router, and back it up with a
    software firewall like Zone Alarm.
    f) Try Googling for "Double Click", "spyware", "adware", "malware",
    "trojans" (and I don't mean that movie either). You wil be
    surprised.
    g) Download this and execute the file to block unwanted advertising.
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    For Aussies read the July 2004 issue of APC mag Lockdown feature, and
    spook yourself with a glance through Meet the new MP3. You wonder why I
    don't let WinXP anywhere near the Internet except to visit Windows Update
    and download the latest versions of installed drivers and patches.

    Parko, Jun 19, 2004
  5. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:44:16 -0400, in
    <>
    Julie P. scrawled:

    >Hi, I have SpyBot 1.3 set to block illegal downloads to my computer, and
    >alert me when doing so.
    >
    >Here is the problem:
    >
    >When I have multiple IE6 windows open, and I go to a page, such as eBay,
    >which has this spyware, SpyBot transfers me (shifts the focus) to the very
    >first (or most recent?) IE6 window I had open which had this spyware blocked
    >previously, even though this window has nothing to do with my current
    >browsing. I get dialog boxes alerting me that the download has been blocked,
    >for example: "SpyBot S&D has blocked the download of 'Double Click'!". I
    >have to click "ok", then find the IE window I was just at by looking at the
    >bottom explorer bar. Very annoying, since I often have lots of windows open.
    >
    >I could simply choose the option where SpyBot blocks downloads in the
    >background, passively, instead of the one where I get notified. But I want
    >to learn which websites in the course of my browsing are using such spyware.
    >Why does SpyBot do this, and how can I stop it?
    >
    >Thanks for any help!

    That's your system doing that, not SpyBot. I suggest turning
    off the notification; there are just too many sites out there
    to concern yourself about every single one.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jun 19, 2004
  6. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:44:16 -0400, in
    > <>
    > Julie P. scrawled:
    >
    > >Hi, I have SpyBot 1.3 set to block illegal downloads to my computer, and
    > >alert me when doing so.
    > >
    > >Here is the problem:
    > >
    > >When I have multiple IE6 windows open, and I go to a page, such as eBay,
    > >which has this spyware, SpyBot transfers me (shifts the focus) to the

    very
    > >first (or most recent?) IE6 window I had open which had this spyware

    blocked
    > >previously, even though this window has nothing to do with my current
    > >browsing. I get dialog boxes alerting me that the download has been

    blocked,
    > >for example: "SpyBot S&D has blocked the download of 'Double Click'!". I
    > >have to click "ok", then find the IE window I was just at by looking at

    the
    > >bottom explorer bar. Very annoying, since I often have lots of windows

    open.

    > >I could simply choose the option where SpyBot blocks downloads in the
    > >background, passively, instead of the one where I get notified. But I

    want
    > >to learn which websites in the course of my browsing are using such

    spyware.
    > >Why does SpyBot do this, and how can I stop it?
    > >
    > >Thanks for any help!

    > That's your system doing that, not SpyBot. I suggest turning
    > off the notification; there are just too many sites out there
    > to concern yourself about every single one.

    ok, I will. But the message clearly says "SpyBot S&D has blocked the
    download of [whatever]!". I'm going to have to completely turn off the
    blocking of spyware on my old computer (Pentium I), since SpyBot, along with
    Spyware Blaster, TweakUI, and WinPatrol are/were taking up too much memory
    in the background. The ironic thing, is I already used WinPatrol to disable
    WinPatrol from running in the background!

    Julie P., Jun 19, 2004
  7. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 21:48:58 -0400, in
    <>
    Julie P. scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    >> That's your system doing that, not SpyBot. I suggest turning
    >> off the notification; there are just too many sites out there
    >> to concern yourself about every single one.

    >ok, I will. But the message clearly says "SpyBot S&D has blocked the
    >download of [whatever]!".

    So? It's the system that swaps focus.

    >I'm going to have to completely turn off the blocking of spyware
    >on my old computer (Pentium I), since SpyBot,

    Spybot does NOT need to be running, and the resident
    BHO is ONLY active within Internet Explorer.

    >along with Spyware Blaster,

    Spyware Blaster does NOT take any memory/resources.
    I have already explained to you that ALL it does is to
    set "kill bits" in the registry.

    >TweakUI,

    TweakUI does NOT stay resident; it kicks in at startup
    and then unloads itself.

    >and WinPatrol

    WinPatrol is TINY! It has an OVERALL memory footprint
    of 3MB -- the executable is ONLY 188 kb!!

    >are/were taking up too much memory in the background.

    No, they're not, it's something else you have installed.

    >The ironic thing, is I already used WinPatrol to disable
    >WinPatrol from running in the background!

    Why?

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jun 19, 2004
  8. "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I have SpyBot 1.3 set to block illegal downloads to my computer, and
    > alert me when doing so.
    >
    > Here is the problem:
    >
    > When I have multiple IE6 windows open, and I go to a page, such as eBay,
    > which has this spyware, SpyBot transfers me (shifts the focus) to the very
    > first (or most recent?) IE6 window I had open which had this spyware

    blocked
    > previously, even though this window has nothing to do with my current
    > browsing. I get dialog boxes alerting me that the download has been

    blocked,
    > for example: "SpyBot S&D has blocked the download of 'Double Click'!". I
    > have to click "ok", then find the IE window I was just at by looking at

    the
    > bottom explorer bar. Very annoying, since I often have lots of windows

    open.

    > I could simply choose the option where SpyBot blocks downloads in the
    > background, passively, instead of the one where I get notified. But I want
    > to learn which websites in the course of my browsing are using such

    spyware.
    > Why does SpyBot do this, and how can I stop it?

    Why does it do this? It does it to call your attention to what it is that
    you just said you want to know. If you want to stop it, select the "block
    all bad pages silently" option under immunize. Of course then you won't know
    what it is you say you want to know. Your choice.

    Oxford Systems, Jun 19, 2004
  9. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 21:48:58 -0400, in
    > <>
    > Julie P. scrawled:
    >
    > >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    > <snip>
    >
    > >> That's your system doing that, not SpyBot. I suggest turning
    > >> off the notification; there are just too many sites out there
    > >> to concern yourself about every single one.

    > >ok, I will. But the message clearly says "SpyBot S&D has blocked the
    > >download of [whatever]!".

    > So? It's the system that swaps focus.

    how do you know it's the system, and not SpyBot?

    > >I'm going to have to completely turn off the blocking of spyware
    > >on my old computer (Pentium I), since SpyBot,

    > Spybot does NOT need to be running, and the resident
    > BHO is ONLY active within Internet Explorer.

    What is BHO?

    > >along with Spyware Blaster,

    > Spyware Blaster does NOT take any memory/resources.
    > I have already explained to you that ALL it does is to
    > set "kill bits" in the registry.
    >
    > >TweakUI,

    > TweakUI does NOT stay resident; it kicks in at startup
    > and then unloads itself.

    But it does run in the backround accoridng to WinPatrol.

    > >and WinPatrol

    > WinPatrol is TINY! It has an OVERALL memory footprint
    > of 3MB -- the executable is ONLY 188 kb!!

    ok!

    > >are/were taking up too much memory in the background.

    > No, they're not, it's something else you have installed.
    >
    > >The ironic thing, is I already used WinPatrol to disable
    > >WinPatrol from running in the background!

    > Why?

    Because on my old computer, it takes up too much memory (it's a Pentium I),
    and slows down my browsing experience.

    Julie P., Jun 19, 2004
  10. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Oxford Systems" <> wrote in message

    > "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    > > Hi, I have SpyBot 1.3 set to block illegal downloads to my computer, and
    > > alert me when doing so.
    > >
    > > Here is the problem:
    > >
    > > When I have multiple IE6 windows open, and I go to a page, such as eBay,
    > > which has this spyware, SpyBot transfers me (shifts the focus) to the

    very
    > > first (or most recent?) IE6 window I had open which had this spyware

    > blocked
    > > previously, even though this window has nothing to do with my current
    > > browsing. I get dialog boxes alerting me that the download has been

    > blocked,
    > > for example: "SpyBot S&D has blocked the download of 'Double Click'!". I
    > > have to click "ok", then find the IE window I was just at by looking at

    > the
    > > bottom explorer bar. Very annoying, since I often have lots of windows

    > open.
    > >
    > > I could simply choose the option where SpyBot blocks downloads in the
    > > background, passively, instead of the one where I get notified. But I

    want
    > > to learn which websites in the course of my browsing are using such

    > spyware.
    > > Why does SpyBot do this, and how can I stop it?

    > Why does it do this? It does it to call your attention to what it is that
    > you just said you want to know.

    I meant why does it or Windows shift the focus from the window/page SpyBot
    is working on too an old browser window?

    Julie P., Jun 19, 2004
  11. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 17:40:09 -0400, in
    <>
    Julie P. scrawled:

    <snip>

    >how do you know it's the system, and not SpyBot?

    How do I know that my left hand is different from
    my right? Because I do. I ain't going to go into
    the mechanics of it; you're having enough trouble
    grasping that it's NOT SpyBot, or any of the other
    recommended software that's slowing down your
    system.

    <snip>

    >What is BHO?

    Browser Helper Object. In SpyBot S&D it's a small
    DLL (Dynamic Link Library) called SDHelper.dll, that's
    only 728 kb, and hooks into Internet Explorer to
    block bad downloads.

    <snip>

    >But it does run in the backround accoridng to WinPatrol.

    No, it doesn't! What WinPatrol is telling you is that
    TweakUI runs at startup, but as I have told you, it
    runs and then unloads itself -- it only needs to set
    the tweaks, and then quits.

    <snip>

    >Because on my old computer, it takes up too much
    >memory (it's a Pentium I), and slows down my browsing
    >experience.

    No, it doesn't. As I said, it's only 188kb, with an OVERALL
    memory footprint of 3MB.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jun 19, 2004
  12. Julie P.

    Boomer Guest

    Boomer, Jun 19, 2004
  13. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    > "Julie P." <> wrote:
    >
    > > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    > [snip]
    > >> Spybot does NOT need to be running, and the resident
    > >> BHO is ONLY active within Internet Explorer.
    > >>

    > > What is BHO?

    > [snip]
    >
    > You'll like these:
    > http://www.acronymfinder.com/
    > http://www.acronymsearch.com/

    absolutely fabulous!!!

    I didn't think it would have these, but I just used
    http://www.acronymfinder.com/
    to look up "FF" and "FR". I googled these yesterday, and had no luck. No I
    know what they mean!

    Julie P., Jun 19, 2004
  14. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 17:40:09 -0400, in
    > <>
    > Julie P. scrawled:
    >

    > >What is BHO?

    > Browser Helper Object. In SpyBot S&D it's a small
    > DLL (Dynamic Link Library) called SDHelper.dll, that's
    > only 728 kb, and hooks into Internet Explorer to
    > block bad downloads.

    ok, good to know this. I was wondering why I couldn't find SBS&D running in
    the background.

    > <snip>
    >
    > >But it does run in the backround accoridng to WinPatrol.

    > No, it doesn't! What WinPatrol is telling you is that
    > TweakUI runs at startup, but as I have told you, it
    > runs and then unloads itself -- it only needs to set
    > the tweaks, and then quits.

    ok, for some reason I had thought start-up processes were identical to
    background processes.

    > <snip>
    >
    > >Because on my old computer, it takes up too much
    > >memory (it's a Pentium I), and slows down my browsing
    > >experience.

    > No, it doesn't. As I said, it's only 188kb, with an OVERALL
    > memory footprint of 3MB.

    ok, but then I need to find out why my Pentium I running 98SE has slowed
    down all of a suddenly after I added all this spyware fixing software and
    startup monitoring software.

    Julie P., Jun 19, 2004
  15. Julie P.

    Boomer Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote:

    > "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    >> "Julie P." <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    >> [snip]
    >> >>

    >> > What is BHO?

    >> [snip]
    >>
    >> You'll like these:
    >> http://www.acronymfinder.com/
    >> http://www.acronymsearch.com/

    > absolutely fabulous!!!
    >
    > I didn't think it would have these, but I just used
    > http://www.acronymfinder.com/
    > to look up "FF" and "FR". I googled these yesterday, and had no
    > luck. No I know what they mean!

    Here's a few more. ;)

    http://www.kplay.cc/reference.html
    http://www.techweb.com/encyclopedia/
    http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/tcs/techsupp/acronyms.htm
    http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/tcs/techsupp/computer_acronyms.htm

    Boomer, Jun 19, 2004
  16. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:16:04 -0400, in
    <>
    Julie P. scrawled:

    <snip>

    >ok, for some reason I had thought start-up processes
    >were identical to background processes.

    A startup process becomes a background process,
    only if it stays resident; if it quits, it quits, just
    like an application is no longer a background process
    if you exit it.

    <snip>

    >ok, but then I need to find out why my Pentium I running 98SE
    >has slowed down all of a suddenly after I added all this spyware
    >fixing software and startup monitoring software.

    Pure coincidence. Start with my signature.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jun 19, 2004
  17. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    > "Julie P." <> wrote:
    >
    > > "Boomer" <> wrote in message

    > >> [snip]

    > >> [snip]
    > >>
    > >> You'll like these:
    > >> http://www.acronymfinder.com/
    > >> http://www.acronymsearch.com/

    > > absolutely fabulous!!!
    > >
    > > I didn't think it would have these, but I just used
    > > http://www.acronymfinder.com/
    > > to look up "FF" and "FR". I googled these yesterday, and had no
    > > luck. No I know what they mean!

    > Here's a few more. ;)
    >
    > http://www.kplay.cc/reference.html
    > http://www.techweb.com/encyclopedia/
    > http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/tcs/techsupp/acronyms.htm
    > http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/tcs/techsupp/computer_acronyms.htm

    Thanks! Now what would be ideal is if they would offer a toolbar.
    Unfortunately, the problem with toolbars is that they take up too much space
    in general. I just use the google toolbar, but ideally would like to have
    all of the following:

    m-w.com toolbar
    eBay toolbar
    SnipURL toolbar (or is it tinyurl?)

    Julie P., Jun 19, 2004
  18. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:16:04 -0400, in
    > <>
    > Julie P. scrawled:

    [snip]

    > >ok, but then I need to find out why my Pentium I running 98SE
    > >has slowed down all of a suddenly after I added all this spyware
    > >fixing software and startup monitoring software.

    > Pure coincidence. Start with my signature.

    I have taken a look at it a number of times now. I was surprised to learn
    that MY Documents is actually a special folder. That is where I have all of
    my pics stored, so I think I will remove those from there. Also, I will
    check out the registry cleaners. Maybe they will be easier to use than the
    trial version of CleanMyPC!

    Julie P., Jun 20, 2004
  19. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Parko" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:44:16 -0400, Julie P. wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, I have SpyBot 1.3 set to block illegal downloads to my computer, and
    > > alert me when doing so.
    > >
    > > Here is the problem:
    > >
    > > When I have multiple IE6 windows open, and I go to a page, such as eBay,
    > > which has this spyware, SpyBot transfers me (shifts the focus) to the

    very
    > > first (or most recent?) IE6 window I had open which had this spyware

    blocked
    > > previously, even though this window has nothing to do with my current
    > > browsing. I get dialog boxes alerting me that the download has been

    blocked,
    > > for example: "SpyBot S&D has blocked the download of 'Double Click'!". I
    > > have to click "ok", then find the IE window I was just at by looking at

    the
    > > bottom explorer bar. Very annoying, since I often have lots of windows

    open.

    > > I could simply choose the option where SpyBot blocks downloads in the
    > > background, passively, instead of the one where I get notified. But I

    want
    > > to learn which websites in the course of my browsing are using such

    spyware.
    > > Why does SpyBot do this, and how can I stop it?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help!

    Thanks Parko. Sorry, I didn't see your post until just now. Replies are
    below.

    > a) Use a decent web browser. Mozilla, Firefox, Opera. The're less
    > susceptible to spyware etcetera. Tabbed web browsers are tops.

    Yes, I have strongly considered this. The problem is I sell on eBay, and I
    try to use the same browser as most of the buyers out there do, simply
    because I have to make sure my listings look good on the browser they would
    use.

    > b) SpyBot is doing its job and you should be thankful.
    > c) Block install on demand amd ActiivX controls if you must use IE.

    Right, right now I have my browser ask me permission first.

    > d) Stop visiting dubious (morally and legally) websites.
    > e) Get a recent hardware firewall as in a router, and back it up with a
    > software firewall like Zone Alarm.

    Yes, I do have the router. I will try a (hopefully free) software firewall
    too, keeping my fingers crossed that this doe snot cause connectivity
    problems.

    > f) Try Googling for "Double Click", "spyware", "adware", "malware",
    > "trojans" (and I don't mean that movie either). You wil be
    > surprised.
    > g) Download this and execute the file to block unwanted advertising.
    > http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    ok, this is good. I just hope it doesn't block legitimate pages from those
    spyware servers.

    Julie P., Jun 20, 2004