Spybot Or Adaware ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Sep 25, 2004.

  1. Robert11 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Might someone please offer any advice
    > on the main differences between Adaware and Spybot ?
    >
    > Do they offer "similar" protections.

    Yes.

    > If so, guess it would be silly to have both.

    Not at all.

    > Which would you recommend ? Why ?

    Both, belt & braces.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Sep 25, 2004

  2. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    Robert11 Guest

    Hi,

    Might someone please offer any advice
    on the main differences between Adaware and Spybot ?

    Do they offer "similar" protections.

    If so, guess it would be silly to have both.

    Which would you recommend ? Why ?

    BTW: Running W98 and Netscape

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Sep 25, 2004

  3. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    Yddap Guest

    In news:Y3k5d.625$,
    Brian H¹© <> opined:
    > Robert11 wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Might someone please offer any advice
    >> on the main differences between Adaware and Spybot ?
    >>
    >> Do they offer "similar" protections.

    > Yes.
    >

    >> If so, guess it would be silly to have both.

    > Not at all.
    >

    >> Which would you recommend ? Why ?

    > Both, belt & braces.

    In the words of "Mike"

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/
    http://spybot.safer-networking.de/
    SpyBot S&D guide

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    http://www.lavasoft.nu/

    Spyware Blaster

    CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)

    be a good littl;e Boy Scout and "BP"
    --

    Yddap
    BY User

    :)

    Yddap, Sep 25, 2004
  4. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    soup Guest

    Robert11 popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and
    said
    > Adaware and Spybot ?
    > Do they offer "similar" protections.

    Yup, pretty much

    > If so, guess it would be silly to have both.

    Nope run both as there MAY be slight differences in the
    definitions of what they catch so each MAY pick up what
    the other doesn't.

    --
    yours S

    soup, Sep 25, 2004
  5. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    cjnmconto Guest

    Spyware is any application that collects information about your computer
    activities and then sends that information to another individual or company
    without your knowledge or permission.
    Spyware arrives bundled with freeware or shareware, through e-mail or
    instant messenger, as an ActiveX installation, or by someone with access to
    your computer. Once on your drive, spyware secretly installs itself and goes
    to work. Unlike traditional personalization or session cookies, spyware is
    difficult to detect, and difficult (if not impossible) for the average user
    to remove.

    Adware is one type of spyware. This is advertising-supported software that
    displays pop-up advertisements whenever the program is open. The software is
    usually available via free download from the Internet, and it is the
    advertisements that create revenue for the company. Although seemingly
    harmless (aside from intrusiveness and annoyance of pop-up ads), adware can
    install components onto your computer that track personal information
    (including your age, gender, location, buying preferences, surfing habits,
    etc.). Most advertising supported software doesn't inform you that it
    installs adware on your system, other than via buried reference in a license
    agreement. In many cases the software will not function without the adware
    component. Some adware can install itself on your computer even if you
    decline the offer.

    I myself use webroot spysweeper it takes care of both.

    cjnmconto, Sep 27, 2004
  6. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    ImhoTech Guest

    "cjnmconto" <> wrote in message

    > I myself use webroot spysweeper it takes care of both.
    >
    > "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,

    Interesting. Your reply included no response to his question, indicating an
    obvious ignorance of the not only the software in question, but the entire
    class of software, AND, ofers evidence that you should infact download and
    use both Spybot and Adaware, just as the original poster should.

    ImhoTech, Sep 27, 2004
  7. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    The Tech Guy Guest

    in my latest testing both spybot and ad-aware failed to remove most of the
    spyware/adware

    spy sweeper is much better and also provides protection so they can get
    reinstalled

    http://www.spysweeperonline.com/

    or for a site will several spyware programs
    http://www.supportcave.com/
    --
    Jason

    For all your Spyware, Adware, Virus Removal & File Sharing tools
    http://www.supportcave.com/spy-sweeper.html

    The Tech Guy, Sep 28, 2004
  8. I have to agree with Tech Guy, they miss alot, SpySweeper seems good, but
    also I recommend SpyWareBlaster, it will not remove spyware, but it does
    prevent alot of it from being installed in the first place.

    // Doug

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Sep 28, 2004
  9. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

    ImhoTech Guest

    "The Tech Guy" <> wrote in message
    > in my latest testing both spybot and ad-aware failed to remove most of the
    > spyware/adware
    >
    > spy sweeper is much better and also provides protection so they can get
    > reinstalled
    >
    > http://www.spysweeperonline.com/

    And your basically full of shit, and simply spamming adverts for spysweeper.

    ImhoTech, Sep 28, 2004