    I looked in my Start up folder and it is NOT there, so what causes this to
    happen?

    I am using this with Windows XP Pro.
    ritter197, Dec 6, 2005

  2. ritter197

    KB Guest

    ritter197 wrote:
    > I have used various versions of Spybot Search and Destroy (free edition) and
    > never before did it come on aech time I start up the computer. It is
    > actually the Folder, which contains all the subfolders of Spybot. I just
    > have to close it each time.
    >
    > I looked in my Start up folder and it is NOT there, so what causes this to
    > happen?
    >
    > I am using this with Windows XP Pro.

    Look in the program settings themselves and see if you have it set to start on startup.
    KB, Dec 6, 2005

  3. ritter197

    ritter197 Guest

    I forgot to mention, but I did before posting. I looked gain under Settings.
    There is nothing checked to run at logon or system startup.

    ritter197, Dec 6, 2005
  4. ritter197

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 22:06:07 GMT, "ritter197" <>
    wrote:

    >I have used various versions of Spybot Search and Destroy (free edition) and
    >never before did it come on aech time I start up the computer. It is
    >actually the Folder, which contains all the subfolders of Spybot. I just
    >have to close it each time.
    >
    >I looked in my Start up folder and it is NOT there, so what causes this to
    >happen?
    >
    >I am using this with Windows XP Pro.

    It may ask you to allow it to run at startup because it is unable to
    do its business normally because there are proceses running.

    download irun from

    http://www.pcdisco.com/freeware.htm

    and see if spybot is started from the registry

    or from Spybot menu mode>advanced

    then

    tools>system startup

    and remove spybot from the list if its there.

    Gernerally I'm using adaware as it seemed to be better updated and
    solved more problems.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Dec 6, 2005
  5. From: "ritter197" <>

    | I forgot to mention, but I did before posting. I looked gain under Settings.
    | There is nothing checked to run at logon or system startup.

    Execute MSCONFIG and examine the StartUp items and look for something that loads the
    folder...
    C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy { assuming you chose the default location }
    And disable that line item.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
    David H. Lipman, Dec 6, 2005
  6. ritter197

    Wesley Vogel Guest

    Open Spybot-S&D
    Click [+] Settings
    Click Settings

    In the right hand pane under Automation select No Automation under System
    Start.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:Qiolf.11942$wF.6681@trnddc08,
    ritter197 <> hunted and pecked:

    Wesley Vogel, Dec 7, 2005
  7. ritter197

    ritter197 Guest

    Dave, great advice and I had totally forgotten about MSConfig. But there it
    was. All is ok now. Thanks again.

    ritter197, Dec 7, 2005
  8. ritter197

    ritter197 Guest

    Did that. It was in MSConfig where it started up. It is ok now.

    ritter197, Dec 7, 2005
  9. ritter197

    Wesley Vogel Guest

    msconfig is not where it gets started from.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:vQplf.7015$xg1.955@trnddc03,

    Wesley Vogel, Dec 7, 2005
  10. ritter197

    ritter197 Guest

    YES it DID start from there.
    I unclicked it and it does NOT start at log-in anymore. BELIEVE me!

    ritter197, Dec 7, 2005
  11. ritter197

    ritter197 Guest

    That was and is a great HYPERLINK. Thanks. I downloaded the i-run and like
    it!

    Thanks again.

    ritter197, Dec 7, 2005
  12. In addition to other recommendations everyone may want to take a look at the
    new version of Autoruns that is free from SysInternals as it now has several
    categories to check startup processes and more. --- Steve

    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html --- Autoruns

    Steven L Umbach, Dec 7, 2005
  13. ritter197

    Guest Guest

    "ritter197" <> wrote in message
    > Dave, great advice and I had totally forgotten about MSConfig. But there
    > it was. All is ok now. Thanks again.

    >> From: "ritter197" <>
    >>
    >> | I forgot to mention, but I did before posting. I looked gain under
    >> Settings.
    >> | There is nothing checked to run at logon or system startup.
    >>
    >> Execute MSCONFIG and examine the StartUp items and look for something
    >> that loads the
    >> folder...
    >> C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy { assuming you chose the
    >> default location }
    >> And disable that line item.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Dave
    >> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
    >> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Well, then you did configure something in Spybot to load on startup. My
    guess is that you enabled their TeaTimer monitor.
    Guest, Dec 7, 2005
  14. ritter197

    ritter197 Guest

    I did and really do not know even now what that Tea Timer is.?

    ritter197, Dec 7, 2005
  15. ritter197

    Yves Leclerc Guest

    But will/can come back when the "msconfig" or the start-ups are played arounf
    again. You need to tell 'Spybot" not to start-up when you do not want it to!

    --
    ----
    Y.
    Yves Leclerc, Dec 7, 2005
  16. ritter197

    Wesley Vogel Guest

    No, it didn't. Nothing starts from msconfig.

    Spybot-S&D would've been started from the registry.

    Value Name: SpybotSnD
    Data Type: REG_SZ
    Value Data: "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe"

    or

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    Value Name: SpybotSnD
    Data Type: REG_SZ
    Value Data: "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe"

    The System Configuration Utility (msconfig.exe) just lists the startup
    locations and allows you, for troubleshooting purposes, to disable startup
    items.

    If you uncheck startup items using msconfig, they end up here >>>

    (Start Menu | Programs | Startup folder)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder

    and here >>>

    (Items loaded from the Registry)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:mNqlf.15072$Oq3.11760@trnddc05,

    Wesley Vogel, Dec 7, 2005
  17. ritter197

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 01:21:26 GMT, "ritter197" <>
    wrote:

    >That was and is a great HYPERLINK. Thanks. I downloaded the i-run and like
    >it!

    Theres a new version for release when I get time to finish it which
    resizes the window to fir the number of items. When I wrote it
    originally there were not so many things started in the registry
    as there are these days.

    It was created as a response to first generation trojans like BO
    and does not get everything, but is useful.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Dec 7, 2005
  18. ritter197

    ritter197 Guest

    I do thank you for the detailed reply and in fact, will print it out.

    All I can state are facts. The Settings in Spybot did NOT say to be
    activated at startup or login.

    The MSConfig under the startup tab DID show Spybot. After "disabling" it
    there, it does not show its face anymore at startup -login.

    ritter197, Dec 7, 2005
  19. ritter197

    Ron Lopshire Guest

    ritter197 wrote:

    > I do thank you for the detailed reply and in fact, will print it out.
    >
    > All I can state are facts. The Settings in Spybot did NOT say to be
    > activated at startup or login.
    >
    > The MSConfig under the startup tab DID show Spybot. After "disabling" it
    > there, it does not show its face anymore at startup -login.

    Where in your hive (Registry) is the Spybot S&D located? A couple of
    months ago, Spybot S&D ran into a problem with FPs. IIRC, when I ran
    it after a definitions update, it could not do a complete scan, and
    wanted to set itself to Run Once after a reboot. This is not the same
    as it, or any other program, running each time upon restart.

    As Steve suggested, AutoRuns is good for checking this out. On my
    WinXP HE SP2 box, on the Logon AutoRuns tab, these are listed:

    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell
    Explorer.exe
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    bunch of stuff
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    c:\program files\applications\spybot - search & destroy\spybotsd.exe
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    bunch of stuff

    Note:
    1) Spybot S&D is not checked because I evidently never let it Run
    Once. Presumably, if I had, it would have removed itself from the
    Registry after "Running Once".
    2) Many of the entries listed on the AutoRuns Logon tab do not show
    up on the msconfig Startup tab, as they are buried deeper in the
    Registry than msconfig cares to display.
    3) If you don't have a Tools tab on your msconfig utility, download
    it from MS. Going through these tools is a way to remove autostart
    listings, as opposed to just unchecking a program on the list. This
    allowed me to get rid of some left over Symantec stuff.

    BTW, Tea Timer is Spybot S&D's real-time (Resident) tool that monitors
    processes and the Registry. Many people, myself included, prefer not
    to use it, and instead use something else, such as MSAS, for real-time
    AS protection, and use Spybot S&D only on-demand.

    Ron :)
    Ron Lopshire, Dec 7, 2005
  20. ritter197

    Pam Guest