Spybot activating automatically on start up!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Phil, Jan 2, 2004.

  1. Phil

    Phil Guest

    Windows XP home.

    After rebooting, due to my PC locking up, The spybot search and destroy
    wizard appeared. I thought it would be a good idea to change the settings
    so it would scan my PC on start up. Having now regretted it, I find I am
    unable to change it back to the manual choice I had been using since
    installing it four months ago. I just can't seem to find anyway to do it
    apart from maybe re installing it.

    I am convinced there must be another way and would really appreciate
    anyone's help as it's driving me potty.

    Thanks in advance

    Phil

    ---

    Phil, Jan 2, 2004

  2. Phil

    Sultan Guest

    Phil wrote in news:bt2eot$p8k$:

    > Windows XP home.
    >
    > After rebooting, due to my PC locking up, The spybot search and
    > destroy wizard appeared. I thought it would be a good idea to change
    > the settings so it would scan my PC on start up. Having now regretted
    > it, I find I am unable to change it back to the manual choice I had
    > been using since installing it four months ago. I just can't seem to
    > find anyway to do it apart from maybe re installing it.
    >
    > I am convinced there must be another way and would really appreciate
    > anyone's help as it's driving me potty.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >

    > Phil
    >

    > ---

    Hi Phil,
    You need only go into the Settings menu and click on Settings then scroll
    down to the start up options, there you will see it checked to do a scan
    on system startup, simply uncheck this box. Note that you may have to
    start Spybot in Advance mode to see this.

    Sultan

    Sultan, Jan 2, 2004

  3. On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 00:41:40 -0000, "Phil" <>

    Get Startup Manager, from www.busterboy.org

    David A. Seiver, Jan 2, 2004
  4. Phil

    Sultan Guest

    David A. Seiver wrote in

    > On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 00:41:40 -0000, "Phil" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Windows XP home.
    >>
    >>After rebooting, due to my PC locking up, The spybot search and
    >>destroy wizard appeared. I thought it would be a good idea to change
    >>the settings so it would scan my PC on start up. Having now regretted
    >>it, I find I am unable to change it back to the manual choice I had
    >>been using since installing it four months ago. I just can't seem to
    >>find anyway to do it apart from maybe re installing it.
    >>
    >>I am convinced there must be another way and would really appreciate
    >>anyone's help as it's driving me potty.
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance
    >>

    >>Phil

    > Get Startup Manager, from www.busterboy.org

    David, I understand where your coming from but this isn't the best
    solution to this particular problem, not when it is just a setting that
    needs changing.

    Sultan, Jan 2, 2004
  5. Phil

    Phil Guest

    "Sultan" <> wrote in message
    > Phil wrote in news:bt2eot$p8k$:
    >
    > > Windows XP home.
    > >
    > > After rebooting, due to my PC locking up, The spybot search and
    > > destroy wizard appeared. I thought it would be a good idea to change
    > > the settings so it would scan my PC on start up. Having now regretted
    > > it, I find I am unable to change it back to the manual choice I had
    > > been using since installing it four months ago. I just can't seem to
    > > find anyway to do it apart from maybe re installing it.
    > >
    > > I am convinced there must be another way and would really appreciate
    > > anyone's help as it's driving me potty.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance
    > >

    > > Phil
    > >

    > > ---
    > >

    > Hi Phil,
    > You need only go into the Settings menu and click on Settings then scroll
    > down to the start up options, there you will see it checked to do a scan
    > on system startup, simply uncheck this box. Note that you may have to
    > start Spybot in Advance mode to see this.
    >
    > Sultan

    Thanks Sultan,

    The problem is I can't get to settings or advance mode at all. On startup
    it goes straight into spybot scan mode and all I get is a pop up about 4
    inches wide by two inches high showing me a progress bar. I am realy
    stumped but I thank you for your prompt reply.

    Phil

    ---

    Phil, Jan 2, 2004
  6. Phil

    ICee Guest

    Phil wrote:
    > "Sultan" <> wrote in message
    >> Phil wrote in news:bt2eot$p8k$:
    >>
    >>> Windows XP home.
    >>>
    >>> After rebooting, due to my PC locking up, The spybot search and
    >>> destroy wizard appeared. I thought it would be a good idea to
    >>> change the settings so it would scan my PC on start up. Having now
    >>> regretted it, I find I am unable to change it back to the manual
    >>> choice I had been using since installing it four months ago. I
    >>> just can't seem to find anyway to do it apart from maybe re
    >>> installing it.
    >>>
    >>> I am convinced there must be another way and would really appreciate
    >>> anyone's help as it's driving me potty.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance
    >>>

    >>> Phil
    >>>

    >>> ---
    >>>

    >> Hi Phil,
    >> You need only go into the Settings menu and click on Settings then
    >> scroll down to the start up options, there you will see it checked
    >> to do a scan on system startup, simply uncheck this box. Note that
    >> you may have to start Spybot in Advance mode to see this.
    >>
    >> Sultan
    >>

    > Thanks Sultan,
    >
    > The problem is I can't get to settings or advance mode at all. On
    > startup it goes straight into spybot scan mode and all I get is a pop
    > up about 4 inches wide by two inches high showing me a progress bar.
    > I am realy stumped but I thank you for your prompt reply.
    >

    > Phil

    Phil, after it finishes it's scan, run it manually and then follow
    Sultan's instructions.

    ICee, Jan 2, 2004
  7. Phil

    Phil Guest

    "ICee" <> wrote in message
    > Phil wrote:
    > > "Sultan" <> wrote in message

    > >> Hi Phil,
    > >> You need only go into the Settings menu and click on Settings then
    > >> scroll down to the start up options, there you will see it checked
    > >> to do a scan on system startup, simply uncheck this box. Note that
    > >> you may have to start Spybot in Advance mode to see this.
    > >>
    > >> Sultan
    > >>

    > > Thanks Sultan,
    > >
    > > The problem is I can't get to settings or advance mode at all. On
    > > startup it goes straight into spybot scan mode and all I get is a pop
    > > up about 4 inches wide by two inches high showing me a progress bar.
    > > I am realy stumped but I thank you for your prompt reply.
    > >

    > > Phil

    > Phil, after it finishes it's scan, run it manually and then follow
    > Sultan's instructions.
    >
    > Thanks ICee, unfortunately I don't have that option. I have just tried

    that. Clicking on the spybot icon just starts the scan with the little box
    (pop up) as described above - right or left clicking on it doesn't activate
    any menus or give me any choices. Thanks anyway, I can't believe how many
    well intended responses I am getting, I am really grateful.

    Phil

    ---

    Phil, Jan 2, 2004
  8. Phil

    Sultan Guest

    Phil wrote in news:bt2ki6$r7o$:

    > "ICee" <> wrote in message
    >> Phil wrote:
    >> > "Sultan" <> wrote in message

    >> > Thanks Sultan,
    >> >
    >> > The problem is I can't get to settings or advance mode at all. On
    >> > startup it goes straight into spybot scan mode and all I get is a
    >> > pop up about 4 inches wide by two inches high showing me a progress
    >> > bar. I am realy stumped but I thank you for your prompt reply.
    >> >

    >> > Phil

    >> Phil, after it finishes it's scan, run it manually and then follow
    >> Sultan's instructions.
    >>
    >> Thanks ICee, unfortunately I don't have that option. I have just
    >> tried

    > that. Clicking on the spybot icon just starts the scan with the
    > little box (pop up) as described above - right or left clicking on it
    > doesn't activate any menus or give me any choices. Thanks anyway, I
    > can't believe how many well intended responses I am getting, I am
    > really grateful.
    >
    > Phil
    >

    > ---

    What happens if you go to the spybot directory and double click its icon?
    That should at least open the full program. If not then I am at a loss,
    all you can do is uninstall it and then download it again and reinstall
    it fresh. Let us know.

    Sultan

    Sultan, Jan 2, 2004
  9. Phil

    Phil Guest

    > >> Phil, after it finishes it's scan, run it manually and then follow
    > >> Sultan's instructions.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks ICee, unfortunately I don't have that option. I have just
    > >> tried

    > > that. Clicking on the spybot icon just starts the scan with the
    > > little box (pop up) as described above - right or left clicking on it
    > > doesn't activate any menus or give me any choices. Thanks anyway, I
    > > can't believe how many well intended responses I am getting, I am
    > > really grateful.
    > >
    > > Phil
    > >

    > > ---
    > >

    > What happens if you go to the spybot directory and double click its icon?
    > That should at least open the full program. If not then I am at a loss,
    > all you can do is uninstall it and then download it again and reinstall
    > it fresh. Let us know.
    >
    > Sultan

    Nope! still can't get into it to reset to the manual start up - It's just
    crazy, it looks like an uninstall and re install. - I will give it another
    seven days and see if anyone else comes up with a solution. Thanks for your
    input Sultan, and I will post the results as and when.

    Phil

    ---

    Phil, Jan 2, 2004
  10. On 1 Jan 2004 19:29:48 -0600, Sultan <> wrote:

    >David, I understand where your coming from but this isn't the best
    >solution to this particular problem, not when it is just a setting that
    >needs changing.

    If you eliminate the First Run of the Spybot Manager from the boot
    process, you could probably load it manually via the executable after
    bootup.

    David A. Seiver, Jan 2, 2004
  11. Phil

    Jay Guest

    > What happens if you go to the spybot directory and double click its icon?
    > That should at least open the full program. If not then I am at a loss,
    > all you can do is uninstall it and then download it again and reinstall
    > it fresh. Let us know.
    >
    > Sultan

    For such a small install, why not simply uninstall reinstall?

    Jay, Jan 2, 2004
  12. Phil

    Phil Guest

    --

    <snip>

    > >> Phil, after it finishes it's scan, run it manually and then follow
    > >> Sultan's instructions.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks ICee, unfortunately I don't have that option. I have just
    > >> tried

    > > that. Clicking on the spybot icon just starts the scan with the
    > > little box (pop up) as described above - right or left clicking on it
    > > doesn't activate any menus or give me any choices. Thanks anyway, I
    > > can't believe how many well intended responses I am getting, I am
    > > really grateful.
    > >
    > > Phil
    > > ---

    > What happens if you go to the spybot directory and double click its icon?
    > That should at least open the full program. If not then I am at a loss,
    > all you can do is uninstall it and then download it again and reinstall
    > it fresh. Let us know.
    >
    > Sultan

    As Promised, an update - I decided to uninstall Spybot and re install.
    Unfortunately exactly the same problem returned... No matter what I do I
    cannot reconfigure Spybot to its original settings. I.E. in manual starting
    mode. It just kicks in on bootup and shows a small box on screen so the
    user knows the progress. Thanks to all who offered their sincere help, it
    was apprecciated..

    Phil

    Phil, Jan 8, 2004
  13. Phil

    cabinboy Guest

    Re: Spybot activating automatically on start up! - strun.exe (0/1)

    Try this file, here's an explanation of what it does:
    I downloaded and have an icon on my desktop so I can run it when I wish.
    Don't worry, my antivirus gave it a clean bill of health.

    =========================
    strun.exe

    The StartupRun utility displays the list of all applications that are loaded automatically when Windows boots. For each
    application, additional information is displayed (Product Name, File Version, Description, and Company Name), in order
    to allow you to easily identify the applications that are loaded at Windows startup. if StartupRun identifies a spyware
    or adware program that runs at startup, it automatically paints it in pink color. In addition, you are allowed to Edit,
    disable, enable and delete the selected startup entries. You can also save the list of startup items into a text or html
    files, and even add a new startup entry to the Registry.

    Visit http://www.my-forums.com

    cabinboy, Jan 8, 2004
  14. Phil

    cabinboy Guest

    I screw up and posted in the wrong place and now I don't even see my reply so if you can not get the file I mention
    (strun.exe) get it at:

    http://www.my-forums.com
    it's a clean site, no porn, no viruses, no trojans...

    look in the Computers - Downloads and Links section

    The utility will let you do all this:

    The StartupRun utility displays the list of all applications that are loaded automatically when Windows boots. For each
    application, additional information is displayed (Product Name, File Version, Description, and Company Name), in order
    to allow you to easily identify the applications that are loaded at Windows startup. if StartupRun identifies a spyware
    or adware program that runs at startup, it automatically paints it in pink color. In addition, you are allowed to Edit,
    disable, enable and delete the selected startup entries. You can also save the list of startup items into a text or html
    files, and even add a new startup entry to the Registry.

    -----------------
    have fun!

    cabinboy, Jan 8, 2004
  15. Phil

    Boomer Guest

    Re: Spybot activating automatically on start up! - strun.exe (0/1)

    cabinboy <> wrote in

    > Try this file, here's an explanation of what it does:
    > I downloaded and have an icon on my desktop so I can run it when I
    > wish. Don't worry, my antivirus gave it a clean bill of health.
    >
    > =========================
    > strun.exe

    I hope you didn't try and post it here!!

    StartupRun can be found at
    http://freeware4u.com/modules/mydownloads/

    > The StartupRun utility displays the list of all applications that
    > are loaded automatically when Windows boots. For each application,
    > additional information is displayed (Product Name, File Version,
    > Description, and Company Name), in order to allow you to easily
    > identify the applications that are loaded at Windows startup.

    [snip]

    Boomer, Jan 8, 2004
  16. Phil

    Phil Guest

    Cheers for that I will give it a try and get back to you..

    Phil, Jan 19, 2004