    Can anyone advise what it is doing, and how to get rid of it?

    Or even how I got it?

    thanks

    Another Dave, Nov 16, 2005

  2. Another Dave

    Phstpok Guest

    Another Dave wrote:
    > My computer keeps telling me I have a spyware infection and I must
    > download Spy Trooper to fix it.
    >
    > The latter acts like a trojan or virus, but does not seem to be removed
    > by Nortons or Spinach.
    >
    > Can anyone advise what it is doing, and how to get rid of it?
    >
    > Or even how I got it?
    >
    > thanks

    Google for spy trooper. It is a trojan itself.

    Phstpok, Nov 16, 2005

  3. Another Dave

    Another Dave Guest

    Phstpok wrote:
    > Google for spy trooper. It is a trojan itself.

    Been trying that, how can I get rid of it?

    Another Dave, Nov 16, 2005
  4. Another Dave

    PC Guest

    "Another Dave" <> wrote in message
    > My computer keeps telling me I have a spyware infection and I must
    > download Spy Trooper to fix it.
    >
    > The latter acts like a trojan or virus, but does not seem to be removed
    > by Nortons or Spinach.
    >
    > Can anyone advise what it is doing, and how to get rid of it?
    >
    > Or even how I got it?
    >
    > thanks

    The best programs for cleaning up your PC are Ad-Aware, Spybot Search &
    Destroy and Spyware Blaster.
    All are free, just 'Google' for them.

    Heaps of pertinent advice here http://spywarewarrior.com/

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Nov 16, 2005
  5. "Another Dave" <> wrote in message
    > My computer keeps telling me I have a spyware infection and I must
    > download Spy Trooper to fix it.
    >
    > The latter acts like a trojan or virus, but does not seem to be removed
    > by Nortons or Spinach.
    >
    > Can anyone advise what it is doing, and how to get rid of it?
    >
    > Or even how I got it?
    >
    > thanks

    You may have more than one piece of spyware installed. Try the Malicious
    Software Removal Tool at
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx . If you're not
    already using an anti-spyware tool you can download a copy of Windows
    Defender from

    Brett Roberts
    Microsoft NZ

    Brett Roberts, Nov 16, 2005
  6. Another Dave

    Another Dave Guest

    Brett Roberts wrote:
    > You may have more than one piece of spyware installed. Try the Malicious
    > Software Removal Tool at
    > http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx .

    Thanks, I downloaded and scanned that but it came up as no infections.

    This thing keeps popping up telling me "Windows has detected spyware
    infection" and tries to make me go to a home page of a "Spyaxe."

    It seems to be a Trojan.

    It is not detected by either Nortons or Spinach (the spyware program
    from my ISP) either.

    Is it too new to have been included?

    david

    Another Dave, Nov 16, 2005
  7. Another Dave

    Another Dave Guest

    Another Dave wrote:

    > Is it too new to have been included?

    Oooh it is an interesting one. One of its popups which seems to launch
    on reboot tells me to uninstall Nortons then reinstall!!!! Yeah right.

    It does seem to be a newies, from the Googling I am doing.

    Another Dave, Nov 16, 2005
  8. Another Dave wrote:

    > Brett Roberts wrote:
    >> You may have more than one piece of spyware installed. Try the Malicious
    >> Software Removal Tool at
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx .

    > Thanks, I downloaded and scanned that but it came up as no infections.
    >
    > This thing keeps popping up telling me "Windows has detected spyware
    > infection" and tries to make me go to a home page of a "Spyaxe."
    >
    > It seems to be a Trojan.
    >
    > It is not detected by either Nortons or Spinach (the spyware program
    > from my ISP) either.
    >
    > Is it too new to have been included?
    >
    > david

    Have a look at this page, it may help you.

    http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=37&t=76880

    David A' Rebel, Nov 16, 2005
  9. Another Dave

    ZzzummM Guest

    If nothing else works, a sure but slow way to get rid of a persistent trojan.
    Download &amp; run HijackThis &amp; save the logfile.
    Post the log in the Spyware forum at TechSupportForum
    &nbsp;http://www.techsupportforum.com
    They'll analyse it &amp; take you through the cleaning process. Very thorough.

    ZzzummM, Nov 16, 2005
  10. Another Dave

    Another Dave Guest

    Spy Axe Re: was Spy Trooper - Help

    It is in a file called C:\Windows\System32\svchosts.dll

    But Windows will not delete it.

    Another Dave, Nov 16, 2005
  11. Another Dave wrote:
    > Phstpok wrote:
    >
    >>Google for spy trooper. It is a trojan itself.

    > Been trying that, how can I get rid of it?

    http://www.google.co.nz/search?q="spy trooper" "removal tool"

    interesting snippets from the first page of results:

    Symantec Security Response has developed a removal tool for
    Spyware.Dotcomtoolbar. ... SPY TROOPER !!

    A detection and removal tool will be available from BitDefender within a few hours.

    Mark Robinson, Nov 16, 2005
  12. Another Dave

    Another Dave Guest

    Re: Spy Axe Re: was Spy Trooper - Help

    Another Dave wrote:

    > It is in a file called C:\Windows\System32\svchosts.dll
    >
    > But Windows will not delete it.

    OK I found a program called Killbox that seems to have deleted it.

    As it doesn't seem to be in the anti-virus or anti-spyware programs
    yet, it might pay to remember Killbox in case this really sweeps the
    world... which it seems to be starting to do, judging by what I found
    on Google.

    Another Dave, Nov 16, 2005
  13. Another Dave

    XP Guest

    HTML is NOT Allowed in News Groups..

    XP, Nov 16, 2005
  14. Another Dave

    Another Dave wrote:

    > Another Dave wrote:
    >
    > > It is in a file called C:\Windows\System32\svchosts.dll
    > >

    > OK I found a program called Killbox that seems to have deleted it.

    Bugger, there is another one, though. Don't know where it is yet.

    Another Dave, Nov 16, 2005
  15. Another Dave

    Jerry Guest

    PC wrote:
    > "Another Dave" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>My computer keeps telling me I have a spyware infection and I must
    >>download Spy Trooper to fix it.
    >>
    >>The latter acts like a trojan or virus, but does not seem to be removed
    >>by Nortons or Spinach.
    >>
    >>Can anyone advise what it is doing, and how to get rid of it?
    >>
    >>Or even how I got it?
    >>
    >>thanks
    >>

    > The best programs for cleaning up your PC are Ad-Aware, Spybot Search &
    > Destroy and Spyware Blaster.
    > All are free, just 'Google' for them.
    >
    > Heaps of pertinent advice here http://spywarewarrior.com/
    >
    > Cheers
    > Paul.

    The best program for getting rid of spyware is format c:\

    Jerry, Nov 17, 2005
  16. Another Dave

    Invisible Guest

    On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 18:55:08 +1300, Jerry <> wrote:

    >PC wrote:
    >> "Another Dave" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>My computer keeps telling me I have a spyware infection and I must
    >>>download Spy Trooper to fix it.
    >>>
    >>>The latter acts like a trojan or virus, but does not seem to be removed
    >>>by Nortons or Spinach.
    >>>
    >>>Can anyone advise what it is doing, and how to get rid of it?
    >>>
    >>>Or even how I got it?
    >>>
    >>>thanks
    >>>

    >> The best programs for cleaning up your PC are Ad-Aware, Spybot Search &
    >> Destroy and Spyware Blaster.
    >> All are free, just 'Google' for them.
    >>
    >> Heaps of pertinent advice here http://spywarewarrior.com/
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Paul.

    >The best program for getting rid of spyware is format c:\

    ....then what?

    Invisible, Nov 17, 2005
  17. Another Dave

    Another Dave Guest

    Another Dave wrote:

    > My computer keeps telling me I have a spyware infection and I must
    > download Spy Trooper to fix it.
    >
    > The latter acts like a trojan or virus, but does not seem to be removed
    > by Nortons or Spinach.

    In the end I used System Restore to go back to before this happened,
    and it seems to have done it.

    Hope this wasn't the wrong thing to do, but even Nortons wasn't fixing
    all of it.

    Another Dave, Nov 17, 2005
  18. Another Dave

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Another Dave" <> wrote in

    > Hope this wasn't the wrong thing to do, but even Nortons wasn't fixing
    > all of it.

    Avast has a web filter that does not slow down my home pc
    Free for personal use. Works great.

    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Nov 18, 2005
  19. Another Dave

    David Guest

    Invisible wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 18:55:08 +1300, Jerry <> wrote:
    >

    >>PC wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Another Dave" <> wrote in message

    >>>The best programs for cleaning up your PC are Ad-Aware, Spybot Search &
    >>>Destroy and Spyware Blaster.
    >>>All are free, just 'Google' for them.
    >>>
    >>>Heaps of pertinent advice here http://spywarewarrior.com/
    >>>
    >>>Cheers
    >>>Paul.

    >>The best program for getting rid of spyware is format c:\

    > ...then what?

    put your windows CD in and follow the on-screen instructions

    David, Nov 19, 2005