spy toolbar in explorer and annoying popups.

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Mar 24, 2005.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hello.

    I have tried a few different programs to get rid of a toolbar in
    explorer but it keeps re-appearing.

    It is directing me to a site called search2web.com.

    Does anyone know how to get rid of this?

    I have just managed to get rid of a Google and a Yahoo toolbar from
    the computer, but this one seems a little persistent.

    I don't know how these toolbars even get there because I've not
    clicked anything to install them?

    Also, I have Popup Killer (PUK) on my system which gets rid of
    annoying internet adverts. However there seems to now be something
    that isn't from the internet that keeps popping up. It seems to be
    something resident on my computer advertising things on the web. A
    virus scan though detected nothing.

    As far as the internet pop ups go, PUK gets rid of the main ones, but
    those java type ones that float within websites still remain. These
    ones are really annoying and some have sound as well. Is there
    another program that kills these ones as well?

    I think it would be great if someone built a browser that blocked
    visits to any website containing pop up adverts. That way you would be
    able to surf decent sites without them. I don't mind advertising as
    long as it is done within a webpage itself, not by means of pop ups
    etc.

    Thanks for any input on these issues.

    John
    John, Mar 24, 2005

  2. John

    Jana Guest

    Download, install, and update the following programs to start:

    What you did was either click on something, or visit some rogue or porno
    site that installed it for you.

    Download, install, and update the following programs to start:

    AdawareSE
    Spybot Search And Destroy
    The Yahoo Toolbar with Spykiller

    Run these to see if they can fix all your problems.

    --

    JANA
    ======

    Jana, Mar 25, 2005

  3. John

    Quegg Lacey Guest

    If you have WindowsXP installed you could install service pack 2. This
    service pack comes with a popup stopper. Service pack 2 will also allow you
    to manage toolbars in Internet Explorer.

    Meanwhile Search2Web is still installed on your computer and will continue
    to cause problems with your computer. You could try the following:

    http://forums.devshed.com/archive/t-155048/Search2web-hijacker
    http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29002

    The program HijackThis should be able to get rid of this annoying toolbar.
    You don't need to click on programs to download them. Sometimes I will
    innocently browse the web and find toolbars have just appeared in my
    browser. Spyware will sometimes install itself into your computer via
    ActiveX controls built into websites. Service Pack 2 can stop ActiveX
    controls from installing these.

    I hope this helps.

    Quegg Lacey, Mar 25, 2005
  4. John

    John Guest

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 08:56:29 -0500, A strange species called "Jana"
    <> wrote:

    >Download, install, and update the following programs to start:
    >
    >What you did was either click on something, or visit some rogue or

    >porno
    >site that installed it for you.

    I hope not seen as its my mothers PC and she along with my two sisters
    are the only ones using that computer :)

    >Download, install, and update the following programs to start:
    >
    >AdawareSE
    >Spybot Search And Destroy
    >The Yahoo Toolbar with Spykiller

    I got rid of the yahoo and google toolbars because I never installed
    them they kept appearing.

    I cant seem to get rid of a strange bar at the bottom though. I think
    its a search2web bar.

    I may just try the Firefox Browser instead. Someone mentioned the
    Active X controls in IE being a problem, so seen as Firefox doesn't
    have that issue I may try it instead of Explorer on that PC.

    Thanks for your help

    John
    John, Mar 26, 2005
  5. I use firefox, I don't have problems with gay ass toolbars, popups or
    spam. What the hell are people doing to get this shit?

    --
    "And God said unto to Abraham 'go and kill your son Isaac'.
    And Abraham said 'What? I can't hear you.'
    Will Dearborn, Mar 27, 2005
  6. John

    John Guest

    On 26 Mar 2005 19:27:05 -0800, A strange species called "Will
    Dearborn" <> wrote:

    >I use firefox, I don't have problems with gay ass toolbars, popups or
    >spam. What the hell are people doing to get this shit?

    Using Windows 98 still is all I could come up with :)

    John
    John, Mar 27, 2005