Spy Sweeper 3.0

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Lloyd Jones, Jun 26, 2004.

  1. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    If you haven't already got Spy Sweeper 3.0 I urge you to go out and buy it.

    The following adware files, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware 6 pro, Spywareblaster and
    CWShredder all combined couldn't find these on my system. Thanks to Spy
    Sweeper they are now gone.

    Alexa Toolbar -

    Alexa is a search toolbar that dynamically inserts web site links of
    partnered web sites into the web page you are currently viewing, based on
    your web surfing habits.

    BackWeb -

    BackWeb is a tool used by software vendors to deliver information to their
    customers including product updates, information and advertising.

    CoolWWW -

    CoolWWW hijacks browser settings.

    CWS_xplugin -

    CWS_xplugin is a browser hijacker that may redirect Google search results to
    Cool Web Search domains.

    Mindset Interactive -

    Mindset Interactive monitors the web pages you view and the data you enter
    into online forms, then delivers targeted pop-up advertisements to your
    computer.

    Netpal -

    Netpal is a Browser Helper Object that displays pop-up ads.

    Roings Search Enhancment -

    Roings Search Enhancment is an IE Helper that displas sponsored results with
    your searches.

    MSN SmartTags -

    MSN SmartTags is a browser helper object that highlights relevant words and
    redirects you to an MSN-owned site when you click on them.

    Twain-Tech -

    Twain-Tech is a browser helper object that will display ads.

    It's a exellent Anti Spyware prod. I didn't remove BackWeb tho because it
    said I might not be able to get certain product updates.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Jun 26, 2004

  2. Lloyd Jones

    Thor Guest

    the vast majority of those things you listed I have removed using Spybot,
    Adaware and CWShredder. Realize that no single spyware program is a panacea.

    Thor, Jun 26, 2004

  3. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    Yes, I have removed them with the other spyware programs before. Just
    because they have the same name doesn't mean that their not a newer or
    modified version of them. Before I installed Spy Sweeper I ran all my other
    spyware progs which I updated all today and they said my system was clean, I
    ran Spy Sweeper 10 minuets later without going on the web since I ran all
    the other progs and it found 9 adware files.

    Don't get me wrong, Ad-ware etc. are good programs but not as good as Spy
    Sweeper. Plus it runs in the background thus stopping the spyware in it's
    tracks.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Jun 26, 2004
  4. Lloyd Jones

    Unknown Guest

    > If you haven't already got Spy Sweeper 3.0 I urge you to go out and buy

    it.

    There is some conjecture that spy sweeper reports a LOT of false positives
    and in some circles, that it creates things that didnt exist just so it can
    report them.

    Unknown, Jun 26, 2004
  5. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    >There is some conjecture that spy sweeper reports a LOT of false positives
    >and in some circles, that it creates things that didnt exist just so it can
    >report them.

    Bollocks.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Jun 26, 2004
  6. Lloyd Jones

    Unknown Guest

    "Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >There is some conjecture that spy sweeper reports a LOT of false

    positives
    > >and in some circles, that it creates things that didnt exist just so it

    can
    > >report them.

    > Bollocks.
    >
    > LJ

    Such a lot to think that reply up, huh? OK so it is obvious you don't know
    anything about computer security, then. Fine.

    Unknown, Jun 27, 2004
  7. Lloyd Jones

    Thor Guest

    > Yes, I have removed them with the other spyware programs before. Just
    > because they have the same name doesn't mean that their not a newer or
    > modified version of them. Before I installed Spy Sweeper I ran all my

    other
    > spyware progs which I updated all today and they said my system was clean,

    > ran Spy Sweeper 10 minuets later without going on the web since I ran all
    > the other progs and it found 9 adware files.

    Yes, but that could have merely been inactive remnants of the programs
    removed prior by other spyware scanners. That happens.

    > Don't get me wrong, Ad-ware etc. are good programs but not as good as Spy
    > Sweeper. Plus it runs in the background thus stopping the spyware in it's
    > tracks.

    Fine for some, but not others. I try and minimize the amount of background
    junk running. A resident adware scanner would be overkill for me. I'm
    proactive about adware prevention to the point that I simply don't have a
    need for a resident scanner. Also, the fact that it is not a free program,
    while the others are, is a factor worth considering. Spy sweeper has just as
    much chance of missing something that Adaware, or Spybot may catch, as in
    the reverse.

    Thor, Jun 27, 2004
  8. Lloyd Jones

    ar3a Guest

    > If you haven't already got Spy Sweeper 3.0 I urge you to go out and buy

    it.

    > The following adware files, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware 6 pro, Spywareblaster and
    > CWShredder all combined couldn't find these on my system. Thanks to Spy
    > Sweeper they are now gone.
    >
    > Alexa Toolbar -
    >
    > Alexa is a search toolbar that dynamically inserts web site links of
    > partnered web sites into the web page you are currently viewing, based on
    > your web surfing habits.
    >

    > BackWeb -
    >
    > BackWeb is a tool used by software vendors to deliver information to their
    > customers including product updates, information and advertising.
    >

    > CoolWWW -
    >
    > CoolWWW hijacks browser settings.
    >

    > CWS_xplugin -
    >
    > CWS_xplugin is a browser hijacker that may redirect Google search results

    > Cool Web Search domains.
    >

    > Mindset Interactive -
    >
    > Mindset Interactive monitors the web pages you view and the data you enter
    > into online forms, then delivers targeted pop-up advertisements to your
    > computer.
    >

    > Netpal -
    >
    > Netpal is a Browser Helper Object that displays pop-up ads.
    >

    > Roings Search Enhancment -
    >
    > Roings Search Enhancment is an IE Helper that displas sponsored results

    with
    > your searches.
    >

    > MSN SmartTags -
    >
    > MSN SmartTags is a browser helper object that highlights relevant words

    and
    > redirects you to an MSN-owned site when you click on them.
    >

    > Twain-Tech -
    >
    > Twain-Tech is a browser helper object that will display ads.
    >
    > It's a exellent Anti Spyware prod. I didn't remove BackWeb tho because it
    > said I might not be able to get certain product updates.

    I use it too and it awesome. Be aware though that some programs are for
    SPYware and other are for ADware. Two different things a lot of the time.
    I've had really gret luck with a combo of Spy Sweeper 3.0 and AdAware Pro.

    ar3a, Jun 27, 2004
  9. Lloyd Jones

    Trent© Guest

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 20:05:46 +0100, "Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Yes, I have removed them with the other spyware programs before. Just
    >because they have the same name doesn't mean that their not a newer or
    >modified version of them. Before I installed Spy Sweeper I ran all my other
    >spyware progs which I updated all today and they said my system was clean, I
    >ran Spy Sweeper 10 minuets later without going on the web since I ran all
    >the other progs and it found 9 adware files.

    That's because many of the items that these programs detect are simply
    subjective. Each program decides what it considers to be spyware.

    Spy Sweeper obviously thinks that some are malware...where Spybot and
    AdAware didn't.

    There is no standard that I know of for these kinds of programs. Each
    programs decides for itself what is malware. That's why I prefer
    AdAware...'cause SpyBot caved in a few times to vendors' wishes.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Jun 27, 2004
  10. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    >Also, the fact that it is not a free program,
    >while the others are, is a factor worth considering

    It's worth buying Thor.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Jun 27, 2004
  11. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    >There is no standard that I know of for these kinds of programs. Each
    >programs decides for itself what is malware. That's why I prefer
    >AdAware...'cause SpyBot caved in a few times to vendors' wishes.

    I don't understand how you can talk bad about a program without even trying
    it. It seems that I'm the only one in this NG which have tried all the Anti
    Spyware progs.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Jun 27, 2004
  12. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    >Such a lot to think that reply up, huh? OK so it is obvious you don't know
    >anything about computer security, then. Fine.

    Evidently I know a shit load more then you do.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Jun 27, 2004
  13. Lloyd Jones

    Thor Guest

    > That's why I prefer
    > AdAware...'cause SpyBot caved in a few times to vendors' wishes.

    since when?

    Thor, Jun 27, 2004
  14. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    >I've had really gret luck with a combo of Spy Sweeper 3.0 and AdAware Pro.

    That's the same progs I use, good combination

    Ad-aware 6 Pro is also a excellent program.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Jun 27, 2004
  15. Lloyd Jones

    Unknown Guest

    "Trent©" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 20:05:46 +0100, "Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Yes, I have removed them with the other spyware programs before. Just
    > >because they have the same name doesn't mean that their not a newer or
    > >modified version of them. Before I installed Spy Sweeper I ran all my

    other
    > >spyware progs which I updated all today and they said my system was

    clean, I
    > >ran Spy Sweeper 10 minuets later without going on the web since I ran all
    > >the other progs and it found 9 adware files.

    > That's because many of the items that these programs detect are simply
    > subjective. Each program decides what it considers to be spyware.
    >
    > Spy Sweeper obviously thinks that some are malware...where Spybot and
    > AdAware didn't.

    That is likely because the rumours circulating are true. It does do a lot of
    false positives and it has yet to be determined whether it is because the
    author is trying to push his program and creating things that dont exist or
    whether he just genuinely and incorrectly identifies things as problems that
    arent.

    Unknown, Jun 27, 2004
  16. Lloyd Jones

    > >Such a lot to think that reply up, huh? OK so it is obvious you don't

    know
    > >anything about computer security, then. Fine.

    > Evidently I know a shit load more then you do.

    Obviously not. You didn't even know about the EXISTENCE of the rumours about
    Spy sweeper.

    BTW, I thought you said you weren't replying to me. How about keeping your
    word?

    Unknown, Jun 27, 2004
  17. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    >Obviously not. You didn't even know about the EXISTENCE of the rumours
    about
    >Spy sweeper.

    Yes Unknown they are "rumours"

    Have you heard the "rumour" going around about you? The one where you are a
    asshole?

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Jun 27, 2004
  18. Lloyd Jones

    > >Obviously not. You didn't even know about the EXISTENCE of the rumours

    > about
    > >Spy sweeper.

    > Yes Unknown they are "rumours"

    ....of which you knew NOTHING.

    > Have you heard the "rumour" going around about you? The one where you are

    > asshole?

    How about the TRUTH going around - that YOU know nothing but still are
    attempting to tell people advice. I would suggest to you that you LEARN
    first!

    Unknown, Jun 27, 2004
  19. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    Go and play in your own league child

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Jun 27, 2004
  20. Lloyd Jones

    Trent© Guest

    On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 12:34:26 +0100, "Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >>There is no standard that I know of for these kinds of programs. Each
    >>programs decides for itself what is malware. That's why I prefer
    >>AdAware...'cause SpyBot caved in a few times to vendors' wishes.

    >I don't understand how you can talk bad about a program without even trying
    >it. It seems that I'm the only one in this NG which have tried all the Anti
    >Spyware progs.
    >
    >LJ

    I think you misunderstood...sorry. I wasn't trying to bad mouth Spy
    Sweeper. I was just stating that each program seems to have its own
    set of criteria when doing a search.

    That's why your program found more than the rest...simply because the
    rest saw them, too...but didn't consider them items to be flagged and
    deleted.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Jun 28, 2004