    Am I missing something?

    The BT software on the PC is called BlueSoleil. It's the latest version.

    tia

    Cullen Skink, Aug 14, 2005

  2. Cullen Skink

    Guest

    "Cullen Skink" <> wrote:

    |>I bought a Bluetooth dongle for the PC so I could connect my phone and
    |>transfer files.
    |>
    |>The phone is set to discoverable but the dongle/software can't find it.
    |>I installed SP2 on Windows and now it does find it but it won't actually
    |>connect. If I try to get the phone to connect to the PC, it finds the PC
    |>but again refuses to connect.
    |>
    |>Am I missing something?
    |>
    |>The BT software on the PC is called BlueSoleil. It's the latest version.

    Might make sure that it's not a secure connection - as it requires a
    password and won't connect without it; the software/phone should
    prompt you for it tho.

    Microsoft has a troubleshooting page for BT and SP2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883258

    --

    , Aug 14, 2005

  3. Cullen Skink

    Cullen Skink Guest

    wrote:
    > "Cullen Skink" <> wrote:
    >
    >>> I bought a Bluetooth dongle for the PC so I could connect my phone
    >>> and transfer files.
    >>>
    >>> The phone is set to discoverable but the dongle/software can't find
    >>> it. I installed SP2 on Windows and now it does find it but it won't
    >>> actually connect. If I try to get the phone to connect to the PC,
    >>> it finds the PC but again refuses to connect.
    >>>
    >>> Am I missing something?
    >>>
    >>> The BT software on the PC is called BlueSoleil. It's the latest
    >>> version.

    > Might make sure that it's not a secure connection - as it requires a
    > password and won't connect without it; the software/phone should
    > prompt you for it tho.
    >
    > Microsoft has a troubleshooting page for BT and SP2
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883258

    Thanks will look at that page.

    One thing I have noticed is that after a reboot the Bluetooth software
    doesn't always initialise properly and I end up with the Bluetooth icon
    in the taskbar and a second icon with a red x in it. The second one says
    "Local Area Connection 2, A network cable is unplugged." This only
    appeared since installing the Bluetooth software.

    Cullen Skink, Aug 14, 2005
  4. Cullen Skink

    Guest

    "Cullen Skink" <> wrote:

    |> wrote:

    |>> Might make sure that it's not a secure connection - as it requires a
    |>> password and won't connect without it; the software/phone should
    |>> prompt you for it tho.
    |>>
    |>> Microsoft has a troubleshooting page for BT and SP2
    |>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883258

    |>Thanks will look at that page.
    |>
    |>One thing I have noticed is that after a reboot the Bluetooth software
    |>doesn't always initialise properly and I end up with the Bluetooth icon
    |>in the taskbar and a second icon with a red x in it. The second one says
    |>"Local Area Connection 2, A network cable is unplugged." This only
    |>appeared since installing the Bluetooth software.

    RIght click on the icon and snoop around.

    But I'd expect that message :) your bluetooth isn't connect.

    --

    , Aug 14, 2005
  5. "Cullen Skink" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:

    >> Might make sure that it's not a secure connection - as it requires a
    >> password and won't connect without it; the software/phone should
    >> prompt you for it tho.
    >>
    >> Microsoft has a troubleshooting page for BT and SP2
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883258

    > Thanks will look at that page.
    >
    > One thing I have noticed is that after a reboot the Bluetooth software
    > doesn't always initialise properly and I end up with the Bluetooth icon in
    > the taskbar and a second icon with a red x in it. The second one says
    > "Local Area Connection 2, A network cable is unplugged." This only
    > appeared since installing the Bluetooth software.

    That's as it should be unless you've got a BT network connected up and
    working.

    SP2 includes its own BT stack that often causes problems. Providing your
    dongle utilises a Widcomm stack you'd be far better off disabling the MS
    version (basic instructions are on the UselessInfo site in my sig under
    Motorola tips) and installing the Widcomm drivers.

    --
    <<< Unlock Your Phone's Potential >>>
    <<< www.uselessinfo.org.uk >>>

    Richard Colton, Aug 14, 2005
  6. Cullen Skink

    Cullen Skink Guest

    Richard Colton wrote:
    > "Cullen Skink" <> wrote in
    > message news:_fMLe.9552$...
    >> wrote:

    >>> Might make sure that it's not a secure connection - as it requires a
    >>> password and won't connect without it; the software/phone should
    >>> prompt you for it tho.
    >>>
    >>> Microsoft has a troubleshooting page for BT and SP2
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883258

    >> Thanks will look at that page.
    >>
    >> One thing I have noticed is that after a reboot the Bluetooth
    >> software doesn't always initialise properly and I end up with the
    >> Bluetooth icon in the taskbar and a second icon with a red x in it.
    >> The second one says "Local Area Connection 2, A network cable is
    >> unplugged." This only appeared since installing the Bluetooth
    >> software.

    > That's as it should be unless you've got a BT network connected up and
    > working.
    >
    > SP2 includes its own BT stack that often causes problems. Providing
    > your dongle utilises a Widcomm stack you'd be far better off
    > disabling the MS version (basic instructions are on the UselessInfo
    > site in my sig under Motorola tips) and installing the Widcomm
    > drivers.

    Thanks for that.

    I ran devmgmt.msc as suggested on your site but I don't have a Bluetooth
    entry to take the fix further.

    Cullen Skink, Aug 14, 2005
  7. "Cullen Skink" <> wrote in message
    > Richard Colton wrote:
    >> "Cullen Skink" <> wrote in
    >> message news:_fMLe.9552$...

    >>> Thanks will look at that page.
    >>>
    >>> One thing I have noticed is that after a reboot the Bluetooth
    >>> software doesn't always initialise properly and I end up with the
    >>> Bluetooth icon in the taskbar and a second icon with a red x in it. The
    >>> second one says "Local Area Connection 2, A network cable is
    >>> unplugged." This only appeared since installing the Bluetooth
    >>> software.

    >> That's as it should be unless you've got a BT network connected up and
    >> working.
    >>
    >> SP2 includes its own BT stack that often causes problems. Providing
    >> your dongle utilises a Widcomm stack you'd be far better off
    >> disabling the MS version (basic instructions are on the UselessInfo
    >> site in my sig under Motorola tips) and installing the Widcomm
    >> drivers.

    > Thanks for that.
    >
    > I ran devmgmt.msc as suggested on your site but I don't have a Bluetooth
    > entry to take the fix further.

    I had that problem as well. Have a look at the following site and see if it
    helps.
    http://brobin111.blogspot.com/

    Richard Colton, Aug 14, 2005
  8. Cullen Skink

    Cullen Skink Guest

    Richard Colton wrote:
    > "Cullen Skink" <> wrote in
    > message news:7xNLe.4077$...
    >> Richard Colton wrote:
    >>> "Cullen Skink" <> wrote in
    >>> message news:_fMLe.9552$...

    >>> That's as it should be unless you've got a BT network connected up
    >>> and working.
    >>>
    >>> SP2 includes its own BT stack that often causes problems. Providing
    >>> your dongle utilises a Widcomm stack you'd be far better off
    >>> disabling the MS version (basic instructions are on the UselessInfo
    >>> site in my sig under Motorola tips) and installing the Widcomm
    >>> drivers.

    >> Thanks for that.
    >>
    >> I ran devmgmt.msc as suggested on your site but I don't have a
    >> Bluetooth entry to take the fix further.

    > I had that problem as well. Have a look at the following site and
    > see if it helps.
    > http://brobin111.blogspot.com/

    Thanks, I'll bookmark the site. For now I'm going back to the data
    cable.

    Cullen Skink, Aug 15, 2005
  9. Cullen Skink

    Jon Guest

    declared for all the world to
    hear...
    > I bought a Bluetooth dongle for the PC so I could connect my phone and
    > transfer files.
    >
    > The phone is set to discoverable but the dongle/software can't find it.
    > I installed SP2 on Windows and now it does find it but it won't actually
    > connect. If I try to get the phone to connect to the PC, it finds the PC
    > but again refuses to connect.
    >
    > Am I missing something?
    >
    > The BT software on the PC is called BlueSoleil. It's the latest version.

    The C500 does not support object transfer over bluetooth in the standard
    way, so your software will not work for this.

    A workaround would be to establish a bluetooth activesync connection to
    your PC and then you can "explore" the C500 file system.
    --
    Regards
    Jon

    Jon, Aug 15, 2005
  10. Cullen Skink

    Jon Guest

    declared for all the world to
    hear...
    > One thing I have noticed is that after a reboot the Bluetooth software
    > doesn't always initialise properly and I end up with the Bluetooth icon
    > in the taskbar and a second icon with a red x in it. The second one says
    > "Local Area Connection 2, A network cable is unplugged." This only
    > appeared since installing the Bluetooth software.

    This is SP2 taking over. The Microsoft XPSP2 drivers are actually quite
    good and will make connecting to activesync over bluetooth much easier.

    I would suggest un-installing blue soleil and letting XPSP2 drivers take
    over.
    --
    Regards
    Jon

    Jon, Aug 15, 2005
  11. Cullen Skink

    Cullen Skink Guest

    Jon wrote:
    > declared for all the world to
    > hear...
    >> I bought a Bluetooth dongle for the PC so I could connect my phone
    >> and transfer files.
    >>
    >> The phone is set to discoverable but the dongle/software can't find
    >> it. I installed SP2 on Windows and now it does find it but it won't
    >> actually connect. If I try to get the phone to connect to the PC,
    >> it finds the PC but again refuses to connect.
    >>
    >> Am I missing something?
    >>
    >> The BT software on the PC is called BlueSoleil. It's the latest
    >> version.

    > The C500 does not support object transfer over bluetooth in the
    > standard way, so your software will not work for this.
    >
    > A workaround would be to establish a bluetooth activesync connection
    > to your PC and then you can "explore" the C500 file system.

    Tried that but the phone can't find the PC/dongle unless the BlueSoleil
    software is installed. Think I must be missing something. In Device
    Manager it says there is a Bluetooth device installed and working
    properly but there is nowhere for example to set it up as "discoverable."

    Cullen Skink, Aug 15, 2005
  12. Cullen Skink

    Mike.P® Guest

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:04:37 GMT, "Cullen Skink"
    <> wrote:

    >I bought a Bluetooth dongle for the PC so I could connect my phone and
    >transfer files.
    >
    >The phone is set to discoverable but the dongle/software can't find it.
    >I installed SP2 on Windows and now it does find it but it won't actually
    >connect. If I try to get the phone to connect to the PC, it finds the PC
    >but again refuses to connect.
    >
    >Am I missing something?
    >
    >The BT software on the PC is called BlueSoleil. It's the latest version.
    >
    >tia

    This link is nothing to do with me but something I noticed on Ebay a
    while ago.. just did a search and its there again.

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?E20C24E9B

    May be of some use?

    __
    Mike.P®

    Mike.P®, Aug 15, 2005
  13. Cullen Skink

    Cullen Skink Guest

    Mike.P® wrote:
    > On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:04:37 GMT, "Cullen Skink"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I bought a Bluetooth dongle for the PC so I could connect my phone
    >> and transfer files.
    >>
    >> The phone is set to discoverable but the dongle/software can't find
    >> it. I installed SP2 on Windows and now it does find it but it won't
    >> actually connect. If I try to get the phone to connect to the PC,
    >> it finds the PC but again refuses to connect.
    >>
    >> Am I missing something?
    >>
    >> The BT software on the PC is called BlueSoleil. It's the latest
    >> version.
    >>
    >> tia
    >>

    > This link is nothing to do with me but something I noticed on Ebay a
    > while ago.. just did a search and its there again.

    Thanks. I loaded some free/donationware software available from
    www.modaco.com that allows you to send files to other phones via
    Bluetooth. The ebay sale seems to be similar. Works well but is a
    different issue to the Bluetooth dongle problem sadly.

    Cheers

    Cullen Skink, Aug 15, 2005
  14. Cullen Skink

    Jon Guest

    declared for all the world to
    hear...
    > Tried that but the phone can't find the PC/dongle unless the BlueSoleil
    > software is installed. Think I must be missing something. In Device
    > Manager it says there is a Bluetooth device installed and working
    > properly but there is nowhere for example to set it up as "discoverable."

    If using the Microsoft bluetooth drivers, you will have a smaller
    bluetooth icon in the system tray. Right-click this and choose open
    bluetooth settings. On the Options tab is a tick box which enable
    discoverable mode.
    --
    Regards
    Jon

    Jon, Aug 16, 2005
  15. Cullen Skink

    Cullen Skink Guest

    Jon wrote:
    > declared for all the world to
    > hear...
    >> Tried that but the phone can't find the PC/dongle unless the
    >> BlueSoleil software is installed. Think I must be missing
    >> something. In Device Manager it says there is a Bluetooth device
    >> installed and working properly but there is nowhere for example to
    >> set it up as "discoverable."

    > If using the Microsoft bluetooth drivers, you will have a smaller
    > bluetooth icon in the system tray. Right-click this and choose open
    > bluetooth settings. On the Options tab is a tick box which enable
    > discoverable mode.

    No nothing there and running bthprops.cpl as suggested by Microsoft
    doesn't do anything at all. All I can think is there must be files
    missing that are needed for BT.

    Cullen Skink, Aug 16, 2005