Spurious Internet Connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ch742718, Jul 15, 2006.

  1. ch742718

    ch742718

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Using Windows XP Home Sp2 with a Netgear WH311v2 Wireless Adaptor, connecting to the internet via a NetGear DG834GT router.

    The PC also has an Ethernet LAN card installed, but this is disabled.

    The Wireless LAN connected (Network Connections), is connected and working fine.

    So normally, I have two networks connections under the LAN or High-Speed Internet group:
    - Wireless LAN (NetGear WG311) - connected.
    - Ethernet LAN (3Com EtherNet controller) - Disabled

    Occasionally, for no apparent reason, a new connection appears called "Internet Connection" under the group heaing "Network Connections"

    I have made a shortcut to this connection and the Target Type is {BA126AE2-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E}, which in the registry has a value of 'Shared Access Connection Class' and points to AppID {27AF75ED-20D9-11D1-B1CE-00805FC1270E}, which is LocalService 'netman'.

    What could be causing this?

    If something is startup up and accessing the internet from my pc (or vice versa) - I want to know!!

    Any suggestions/help greatly appreciated
    ch742718, Jul 15, 2006

  2. ch742718

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You might have spyware doing this (reference http://www.governmentsecurity.org/archive/t15543.html). I suggest you install and run something like Spy Sweeper ($20 USD) or Spy Bot Search & Destroy (free) to scan your system. Also run an antivirus application, such as Avast!, which is free.
    bigal, Jul 17, 2006

  3. ch742718

    ch742718

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Thanks, but I don't think this is the problem, I have ample virus/firewall/spyware protection. I'd like to know specifically wht can cause this, or how to track what is initiating the connection
    ch742718, Jul 17, 2006
  4. ch742718

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    i have nothing to say but there valid reg keys, and i know netman is a service....

    windows likes to fool around with you so if u can format and re install you should be good to go :) after all windows was only made to last 2 weeks before u need to reinstall...
    unholy, Jul 18, 2006
  5. ch742718

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Look at your system logs, such as Event Viewer (start/programs/administrative tools/Event Viewer) to track down when netman is kicked off. The source for the event should be indicated there. Double-click on the line when you find it, and you get more information about the event.
    bigal, Jul 18, 2006
  6. ch742718

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    Search for this netman program, find where it is, as far as i am concerned its a Network Management tool, although that could be a diguise.

    Also follow reg Keys for netman (eg go to regedit and find "netman") if it starts, it has to be somewhere.
    unholy, Jul 19, 2006