Spread Firefox hacked?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Kouros, Jul 15, 2005.

  1. Kouros

    Kouros Guest

    Has anyone just received the following email from Spread Firefox? If
    not, consider this your heads up...

    On Tuesday, July 12, the Mozilla Foundation discovered that the server
    hosting Spread Firefox, our community marketing site, had been accessed
    on Sunday, July 10 by unknown remote attackers who exploited a security
    vulnerability in the software running the site. This exploit was
    limited to SpreadFirefox.com and did not affect other mozilla.org web
    sites or Mozilla software.

    We don't have any evidence that the attackers obtained personal
    information about site users, and we believe they accessed the machine
    to use it to send spam. However, it is possible that the attackers
    acquired information site users provided to the site.

    As a Spread Firefox user, you have provided us with a username and
    password. You may also have provided us with other information,
    including a real name, a URL, an email address, IM names, a street
    address, a birthday, and private messages to other users.

    We recommend that you change your Spread Firefox password and the
    password of any accounts where you use the same password as your Spread
    Firefox account. To change your Spread Firefox password, go to
    SpreadFirefox.com, log in with your current password, select "My
    Account" from the sidebar, select "Edit Account" from the sidebar, then
    enter your new password into the Password fields and press the "Save
    user information" button at the bottom of the page.

    The Mozilla Foundation deeply regrets this incident and is taking steps
    to prevent it from happening again. We have applied the necessary
    security fixes to the software running the site, have reviewed our
    security plan to determine why we didn't previously apply those fixes in
    this case, and have modified that plan to ensure we do so in the future.

    Sincerely,
    The Mozilla Foundation
    Kouros, Jul 15, 2005

  2. Kouros

    Big Craigie Guest

    "Kouros" <> wrote in message
    > Has anyone just received the following email from Spread Firefox? If
    > not, consider this your heads up...
    >

    > On Tuesday, July 12, the Mozilla Foundation discovered that the server
    > hosting Spread Firefox, our community marketing site, had been accessed
    > on Sunday, July 10 by unknown remote attackers who exploited a security
    > vulnerability in the software running the site. This exploit was
    > limited to SpreadFirefox.com and did not affect other mozilla.org web
    > sites or Mozilla software.
    >
    > We don't have any evidence that the attackers obtained personal

    SNIPPED

    > The Mozilla Foundation

    Yes, I got an e-mail and last week or a couple of weeks ago I kept getting
    strange e-mails which seemingly had nothing to do with Firefox but came from
    the Spread Firefox website. I just binned them.

    BC
    Big Craigie, Jul 15, 2005

  3. Kouros

    Travis Evans Guest

    On Friday 15 July 2005 12:13, Big Craigie wrote:
    > "Kouros" <> wrote in message
    >> Has anyone just received the following email from Spread Firefox? If
    >> not, consider this your heads up...
    >>
    >> On Tuesday, July 12, the Mozilla Foundation discovered that the
    >> server hosting Spread Firefox, our community marketing site, had been
    >> accessed on Sunday, July 10 by unknown remote attackers who exploited
    >> a security
    >> vulnerability in the software running the site. This exploit was
    >> limited to SpreadFirefox.com and did not affect other mozilla.org web
    >> sites or Mozilla software.
    >>
    >> We don't have any evidence that the attackers obtained personal

    > SNIPPED
    >
    >> The Mozilla Foundation

    > Yes, I got an e-mail and last week or a couple of weeks ago I kept
    > getting strange e-mails which seemingly had nothing to do with Firefox
    > but came from the Spread Firefox website. I just binned them.

    Looks like they really did get hacked.
    http://mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=6947
    The hackers apparently used the site to send spam emails.

    --
    Travis Evans
    [The email address on this post is valid, but may change from time to
    Travis Evans, Jul 17, 2005