    (at the top centre, and just left to the tower)

    Thanks for any suggestions
    Jens

    jens, Aug 1, 2006

  2. jens wrote:

    > Suddenly there appear circular spots on all of my pictures. They are
    > always at the same position and get larger with increasing focal
    > length. I don't like them! What are they? How to get rid of them?

    Dust. It's time to clean the sensor

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Aug 1, 2006

  3. > I haven't changed lenses recently so
    > I don't think (or hope) it could be dirt on the chip.

    You think (and hope) in vain. Clean the sensor, it's not a big deal.

    Derek Fountain, Aug 1, 2006
  4. jens

    jens Guest

    Derek Fountain wrote:

    > You think (and hope) in vain. Clean the sensor, it's not a big deal.

    Thanks. What's the best way to do that?

    Shall I use mirror lock-up and blow some air into it?

    What I still don't understand is how that dirt could get into the
    camera as I haven't changed lenses in a long time.

    jens, Aug 1, 2006
  5. jens

    Charlie Choc Guest

    On 1 Aug 2006 07:14:34 -0700, "jens" <> wrote:

    >Derek Fountain wrote:
    >>
    >> You think (and hope) in vain. Clean the sensor, it's not a big deal.

    >Thanks. What's the best way to do that?

    Here's a how to: http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm. I use Sensor Swabs to clean
    the CCD on my D100 and they work just fine.

    >Shall I use mirror lock-up and blow some air into it?

    No, that will just move the dust around at best.
    --
    Charlie...
    http://www.chocphoto.com

    Charlie Choc, Aug 1, 2006
  6. jens

    Mark² Guest

    jens wrote:
    > Derek Fountain wrote:
    >>
    >> You think (and hope) in vain. Clean the sensor, it's not a big deal.

    > Thanks. What's the best way to do that?
    >
    > Shall I use mirror lock-up and blow some air into it?
    >
    > What I still don't understand is how that dirt could get into the
    > camera as I haven't changed lenses in a long time.

    Zoom lenses are like breathing creatures...sucking air in and out as their
    elements separate adn lengthen/shorten the lens. It's not a vaccum in
    there. -Ar must enter and exit the lense in most cases, and so too the
    body. Add to this that the moving mirror is effectively a "hand fan" which
    swishes air all around the internal parts of the lens housing and sensor
    area, and you've got a recipe for dust movement and settlement. Dust
    happens to all DSLRs from time to time...some more frequently than others.
    It's a pain, but not usually a big pain.

    -Mark²

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Aug 1, 2006
  7. jens

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 07:14:34 -0700, jens wrote:

    > Derek Fountain wrote:
    >>
    >> You think (and hope) in vain. Clean the sensor, it's not a big deal.

    > Thanks. What's the best way to do that?
    >
    > Shall I use mirror lock-up and blow some air into it?
    >
    > What I still don't understand is how that dirt could get into the
    > camera as I haven't changed lenses in a long time.

    The method should be in your manual (is with the Canons).
    --
    Neil
    Delete l to reply

    Neil Ellwood, Aug 1, 2006
  8. jens

    jens Guest

    Neil Ellwood ã®ãƒ¡ãƒƒã‚»ãƒ¼ã‚¸:

    > On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 07:14:34 -0700, jens wrote:
    >

    > > Derek Fountain wrote:
    > >>
    > >> You think (and hope) in vain. Clean the sensor, it's not a big deal.

    > > Thanks. What's the best way to do that?
    > >
    > > Shall I use mirror lock-up and blow some air into it?
    > >
    > > What I still don't understand is how that dirt could get into the
    > > camera as I haven't changed lenses in a long time.

    > The method should be in your manual (is with the Canons).
    > --
    > Neil
    > Delete l to reply

    Thanks for all the replies.
    The manual says not to use anything but air. I think I am going to try
    the Sensor Swabs anyway.

    Jens

    jens, Aug 2, 2006
  9. jens

    Bill Funk Guest

    On 1 Aug 2006 16:32:34 -0700, "jens" <> wrote:

    >Neil Ellwood ??????:

    >> > Thanks. What's the best way to do that?
    >> >
    >> > Shall I use mirror lock-up and blow some air into it?
    >> >
    >> > What I still don't understand is how that dirt could get into the
    >> > camera as I haven't changed lenses in a long time.

    >> The method should be in your manual (is with the Canons).
    >> --
    >> Neil
    >> Delete l to reply

    >Thanks for all the replies.
    >The manual says not to use anything but air. I think I am going to try
    >the Sensor Swabs anyway.
    >
    >Jens

    The manual is about protecting he company's ass as much as it is about
    explaining the product.
    If the camera maker told you, i the manual, to clean the sensor using
    a specific method,and you farkled the sensor doing that, you'd have a
    valid claim for warranty service. So, they tell you to use air; you'd
    have a hard time screwing that up.
    For the nit pickers: yes, I know it can be done.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Aug 2, 2006