    it set up properly. I have the Mets 54 MZ flash gun. I hope to be
    within 10 of the each pair when I shoot. Thanks for any help. Ed

    , Jun 7, 2005

  2. Chucknitro Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have the honor of photographing the contestants in a beauty contest
    > as they each walk up the runway arm in arm with their fathers. The
    > gymnasium will be dark with only a spot-light on the pair as they walk
    > the runway.
    > Can anyone help me with a set-up the will capture a quality exposure?
    > Anyone with any experience with these conditions?
    > I'm using a 20d, probably the 24-70mm 2.8 with a tripod if I can get
    > it set up properly. I have the Mets 54 MZ flash gun. I hope to be
    > within 10 of the each pair when I shoot. Thanks for any help. Ed

    If two girls are walking together, how do you know which pair to shoot?
    *weg*

    Chucknitro, Jun 7, 2005

  3. Ken Weitzel Guest

    wrote:

    > I have the honor of photographing the contestants in a beauty contest
    > as they each walk up the runway arm in arm with their fathers. The
    > gymnasium will be dark with only a spot-light on the pair as they walk
    > the runway.
    > Can anyone help me with a set-up the will capture a quality exposure?
    > Anyone with any experience with these conditions?
    > I'm using a 20d, probably the 24-70mm 2.8 with a tripod if I can get
    > it set up properly. I have the Mets 54 MZ flash gun. I hope to be
    > within 10 of the each pair when I shoot. Thanks for any help. Ed

    Hi Ed...

    I'm not a photographer, just a voracious picture taker...

    That said; were I in your position I'd see if I couldn't
    somehow arrange for the use of the hall for a couple of
    hours, along with the spotlight operator...

    I'd bring along friends or family; one lady dressed in
    close to white to take the part of the contestant, and one
    man dressed in close to black to play the part of the father.

    Digital is free, take tons of pics, and make extensive notes.

    Just my two cents...

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Jun 7, 2005
  4. Bigguy Guest

    Get on stage before the event and take an incident light reading with the
    lighting at its live show level.
    Otherwise take a spot reading off the models face.

    Guy

    Bigguy, Jun 7, 2005
  5. wrote:
    >I have the honor of photographing the contestants in a beauty contest
    > as they each walk up the runway arm in arm with their fathers. The
    > gymnasium will be dark with only a spot-light on the pair as they walk
    > the runway.
    > Can anyone help me with a set-up the will capture a quality exposure?
    > Anyone with any experience with these conditions?
    > I'm using a 20d, probably the 24-70mm 2.8 with a tripod if I can get
    > it set up properly. I have the Mets 54 MZ flash gun. I hope to be
    > within 10 of the each pair when I shoot. Thanks for any help. Ed

    The only way to be sure is to test it out ahead of time.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Jun 7, 2005
  6. Guest

    I will try some things prior to the show. Thanks! Ed

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 12:06:53 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >>I have the honor of photographing the contestants in a beauty contest
    >> as they each walk up the runway arm in arm with their fathers. The
    >> gymnasium will be dark with only a spot-light on the pair as they walk
    >> the runway.
    >> Can anyone help me with a set-up the will capture a quality exposure?
    >> Anyone with any experience with these conditions?
    >> I'm using a 20d, probably the 24-70mm 2.8 with a tripod if I can get
    >> it set up properly. I have the Mets 54 MZ flash gun. I hope to be
    >> within 10 of the each pair when I shoot. Thanks for any help. Ed

    > The only way to be sure is to test it out ahead of time.
    >
    >--
    >Joseph Meehan
    >
    >Dia duit

    , Jun 7, 2005
  7. Roberto Guest

    wrote:
    > I have the honor of photographing the contestants in a beauty contest
    > as they each walk up the runway arm in arm with their fathers. The
    > gymnasium will be dark with only a spot-light on the pair as they walk
    > the runway.
    > Can anyone help me with a set-up the will capture a quality exposure?
    > Anyone with any experience with these conditions?
    > I'm using a 20d, probably the 24-70mm 2.8 with a tripod if I can get
    > it set up properly. I have the Mets 54 MZ flash gun. I hope to be
    > within 10 of the each pair when I shoot. Thanks for any help. Ed

    A big factor will be angle of the spotlight, and where on the people
    shadows will be created. If the spot is from a high angle then a fill
    flash can assist in minimizing undesired shadows at the expense of
    lessening the dramatic view of each pair of people in spot-only light.
    However if spotlight is near straight in you might not get much benefit
    from the flash (and flash will be distracting to others in the audience
    -- a distraction to avoid if you can. Also flash will tend to light up
    the the runway and area around it, which may add background clutter to
    your photos.

    A major challenge will be to not overexpose and blow out highlights,
    particularly if either person is wearing white (white shirt of father,
    white dress or blouse on daughter). You'll probably be varying
    exposure for each pair unless they all will be wearing same "costume"
    (such as men in tux, women in specific dress color).

    with the 20d I'd suggest using center weighted auto exposure. Set
    camera's review (post shoot view) to "On (info)," which will display
    histogram with the image and blink any over exposed areas. Review the
    first few as you go and reshoot (or try a few early on if you have the
    opportunity). After a couple of shots you will probably find that some
    exposure compensation might be in order. Still, keep an eye on the
    histogram as you shoot.

    With the 20d this will be a good use for raw file format. When you
    process the raw files you can further adjust exposure compensation and
    provide some fill light via highlights/shadows and curves tools if
    using Photoshop, or by a fill light adjustment in a raw processor such
    as Picmantec's free RawShooter program.

    Bob Shomler
    www.shomler.com

    Roberto, Jun 7, 2005