Sporadic Power Down / Shut Down Problems

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by nash123, Jul 26, 2005.

  1. nash123

    nash123 Guest

    Hi,

    My Gateway Media Center 610X
    (http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/TVMediaCenter/2900210/2900210nv.shtml)
    just started shutting down on its own. Sometimes it goes for couple
    days without powering down, but on some days "Boom" just powers off
    with no reason. There does not seem to be a specific software that is
    running when it does that, in fact, sometimes there is nothing running
    in the background.

    I have noticed that sometimes when you power it back up, it powers off
    in the next 10 seconds. Also sometimes, you can even turn the computer
    on, you have to unplug the power cord from the computer wait 2 secs and
    plug it back. It works then. I changed the power cord and the outlet
    that is hooked up to but still the same. Have not downloaded/installed
    anything lately either. No memory upgrades either. I reinstalled the
    video card and the DVD drivers but no change either.

    Any thoughts (Power supply, memory, drivers gone bad)? Are there any
    other newsgroups that you think I should post this?

    Thanks
    nash123, Jul 26, 2005

  2. nash123

    Peter Mark Guest

    Sounds like your processor is over heating. Check your fan/s and contact
    between processor and heat sink.

    Peter Mark, Aug 1, 2005