Sporadic Power Down / Shut Down Problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by nash123, Jul 26, 2005.

  1. nash123

    nash123 Guest

    Hi,

    My Gateway Media Center 610X
    (http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/TVMediaCenter/2900210/2900210nv.shtml)
    just started shutting down on its own. Sometimes it goes for couple
    days without powering down, but on some days "Boom" just powers off
    with no reason. There does not seem to be a specific software that is
    running when it does that, in fact, sometimes there is nothing running
    in the background.

    I have noticed that sometimes when you power it back up, it powers off
    in the next 10 seconds. Also sometimes, you can even turn the computer
    on, you have to unplug the power cord from the computer wait 2 secs and
    plug it back. It works then. I changed the power cord and the outlet
    that is hooked up to but still the same. Have not downloaded/installed
    anything lately either. No memory upgrades either. I reinstalled the
    video card and the DVD drivers but no change either.

    Any thoughts (Power supply, memory, drivers gone bad)? Are there any
    other newsgroups that you think I should post this?

    Thanks

    nash123, Jul 26, 2005

  2. It sounds like a power supply problem to me. If it is still under warranty
    contact the manufacturer.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    Richard Urban [MVP], Jul 26, 2005

  3. nash123

    Unk Guest

    On 25 Jul 2005 18:20:13 -0700, "nash123" <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >My Gateway Media Center 610X
    >(http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/TVMediaCenter/2900210/2900210nv.shtml)
    >just started shutting down on its own. Sometimes it goes for couple
    >days without powering down, but on some days "Boom" just powers off
    >with no reason. There does not seem to be a specific software that is
    >running when it does that, in fact, sometimes there is nothing running
    >in the background.
    >
    >I have noticed that sometimes when you power it back up, it powers off
    >in the next 10 seconds. Also sometimes, you can even turn the computer
    >on, you have to unplug the power cord from the computer wait 2 secs and
    >plug it back. It works then. I changed the power cord and the outlet
    >that is hooked up to but still the same. Have not downloaded/installed
    >anything lately either. No memory upgrades either. I reinstalled the
    >video card and the DVD drivers but no change either.
    >
    >Any thoughts (Power supply, memory, drivers gone bad)? Are there any
    >other newsgroups that you think I should post this?
    >
    >Thanks

    If it's caused by software, Windows XP has a default setting to "Restart on failure"

    Right click on "My Computer" and select Manage.
    Expand the Event Viewer category and look through each of the three sub-categories for the red
    flagged error records. The date and time of these should correspond to your restarts. Double
    click on an error record to see the details of the error.

    You can change this restart behavior if you want.

    Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, Advanced

    In the Startup and Recovery section, click on the "Settings" button to open the Startup and
    Recovery window.

    In the System Failure section, uncheck "Automatically restart", Click "Apply", "OK"

    After that change the computer will no longer restart when a system failure occurs. Instead it
    will probably throw up a "Blue Screen Of Death" with a STOP error message and then halt
    completely, requiring a manual power off and restart (or reset if it has a hardware reset
    switch).
    But the contents of the STOP error message will give a specific clue as to the underlying cause
    of the problem.

    Unk, Jul 26, 2005
  4. nash123

    FML Guest

    nash123 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > My Gateway Media Center 610X
    > (http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/TVMediaCenter/2900210/2900210nv.shtml)
    > just started shutting down on its own. Sometimes it goes for couple
    > days without powering down, but on some days "Boom" just powers off
    > with no reason. There does not seem to be a specific software that is
    > running when it does that, in fact, sometimes there is nothing running
    > in the background.
    >
    > I have noticed that sometimes when you power it back up, it powers off
    > in the next 10 seconds. Also sometimes, you can even turn the computer
    > on, you have to unplug the power cord from the computer wait 2 secs and
    > plug it back. It works then. I changed the power cord and the outlet
    > that is hooked up to but still the same. Have not downloaded/installed
    > anything lately either. No memory upgrades either. I reinstalled the
    > video card and the DVD drivers but no change either.
    >
    > Any thoughts (Power supply, memory, drivers gone bad)? Are there any
    > other newsgroups that you think I should post this?
    >
    > Thanks

    First things I would troubleshoot would be CPU temperature and power
    supply. Have you had a peek inside the case? All the fans working? Lots
    of dust bunnies?

    FML, Jul 26, 2005
  5. nash123

    kony Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >My Gateway Media Center 610X
    >(http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/TVMediaCenter/2900210/2900210nv.shtml)
    >just started shutting down on its own. Sometimes it goes for couple
    >days without powering down, but on some days "Boom" just powers off
    >with no reason. There does not seem to be a specific software that is
    >running when it does that, in fact, sometimes there is nothing running
    >in the background.
    >
    >I have noticed that sometimes when you power it back up, it powers off
    >in the next 10 seconds. Also sometimes, you can even turn the computer
    >on, you have to unplug the power cord from the computer wait 2 secs and
    >plug it back. It works then. I changed the power cord and the outlet
    >that is hooked up to but still the same. Have not downloaded/installed
    >anything lately either. No memory upgrades either. I reinstalled the
    >video card and the DVD drivers but no change either.
    >
    >Any thoughts (Power supply, memory, drivers gone bad)? Are there any
    >other newsgroups that you think I should post this?
    >
    >Thanks

    In general it sounds like the power supply. The specific
    detail making that all the more likely is that you have to
    sometimes unplug it from the wall to reset it.

    Please do not post to so many off-topic groups. It is very
    inconsiderate and could be against your ISP's TOS.

    kony, Jul 26, 2005
  6. nash123

    nash123 Guest

    I actually turned off "restart on failure" but I do not get the blue
    screen, the computer just dies. I do not want to open the case yet
    since I got extended warranty on it, I guess I will have to ship it
    back.

    How do I check the CPU temp etc? There are no settings for CPU temp in
    BIOS either.

    nash123, Jul 27, 2005
  7. nash123

    Guest

    , Jul 27, 2005
  8. nash123

    fred-bloggs Guest

    fred-bloggs, Jul 27, 2005
  9. nash123

    nash123 Guest

    Yes, I think this is a power supply issue and want to send the computer
    back. I have a lot of sensitive info on the hard drive, and think that
    it would be best if I could back it up somehow on a DVD and/or external
    hard drive and wipe out my documents from the computer. Has anyone had
    issues with this kind of sensitive data on computers that have to go to
    repairs?

    Thanks

    nash123, Jul 28, 2005
  10. nash123

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "nash123" <> wrote in message
    > Yes, I think this is a power supply issue and want to send the computer
    > back. I have a lot of sensitive info on the hard drive, and think that
    > it would be best if I could back it up somehow on a DVD and/or external
    > hard drive and wipe out my documents from the computer. Has anyone had
    > issues with this kind of sensitive data on computers that have to go to
    > repairs?
    >
    > Thanks

    Yeah - we don't send the hard drives when we send the laptops back for
    repair. We pull the drive, they fix the computer, we put the drive back in.

    Hope that helps!

    Toolman Tim, Jul 28, 2005
  11. nash123

    nash123 Guest

    My only issue with removing the HD is it will void my extended
    warranty, so I think I will just wipe it and load it back after the
    repair.

    Thanks for the info.

    nash123, Jul 28, 2005
  12. nash123

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "nash123" <> wrote in message
    > My only issue with removing the HD is it will void my extended
    > warranty, so I think I will just wipe it and load it back after the
    > repair.
    >
    > Thanks for the info.

    Why would that void the warranty? Every major PC manufacturer I've dealt
    with recently almost expect people to get inside for upgrades.

    The alternative is a program like Norton WipeInfo. You go through and
    manually select the sections of the HD that you want "wiped" and it performs
    an exceptionally secure wipe of that section - select by folders, and tell
    it to wipe empty HD space too. That way your OS and apps are still
    installed, there just is no data on it.

    Search Google for other software besides Norton's.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 28, 2005
  13. nash123

    nash123 Guest

    nash123, Jul 28, 2005
  14. nash123

    CBFalconer Guest

    nash123 wrote:

    > Yeah, you have a point there but this is one of the integrated systems
    > and I am not really sure how you open the back and where the HD/power
    > supply are. So I will not risk it.
    >
    > http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/TVMediaCenter/2900210/2900210nv.shtml

    You obviously don't want anybody to know what you are talking
    about, judging from the lack of context.

    CBFalconer, Jul 28, 2005
  15. nash123

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "nash123" <> wrote in message
    > Yeah, you have a point there but this is one of the integrated systems
    > and I am not really sure how you open the back and where the HD/power
    > supply are. So I will not risk it.
    >
    > http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/TVMediaCenter/2900210/2900210nv.shtml

    Ah - yes...I can see the point in that! Good luck...

    Toolman Tim, Jul 28, 2005
  16. nash123

    kony Guest

    On 27 Jul 2005 19:52:30 -0700, "nash123"
    <> wrote:

    >My only issue with removing the HD is it will void my extended
    >warranty, so I think I will just wipe it and load it back after the
    >repair.
    >
    >Thanks for the info.

    "wipe it"?
    Sounds a bit excessive. Why not just delete whatever-it-is
    that's making you paranoid? If that's too much of a pain
    for you, just zip everything up into a single file with a
    very strong (large) password, though if there's any valuable
    data it'd certainly be prudent to make backups before
    sending it in either way.

    kony, Jul 29, 2005
  17. nash123

    nash123 Guest

    Well, other people got it, but you. Did you try to click on the link to
    see what I am talking about?

    nash123, Jul 29, 2005
  18. nash123

    nash123 Guest

    Update - Gateway replaced the power supply. Let's see if it will help.

    Thanks for all the feedback.

    nash123, Aug 24, 2005