Sporadic Internet with AOL

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by niallbruce@gmail.com, May 4, 2005.

  1. Guest

    My DSL internet connection is very stable but AOL seems to interfere.
    If the AOL software (UK version) is not loaded, Internet Explorer works
    away without any problem. Nonetheless, once I load AOL, my connection
    disappears after about 1 minute.

    Although I lose the connection quickly, AOL has an auto-reload feature
    that helps it to restart. There appears to be no lag between losing the
    connection and AOL being able to restart. I've got an icon in my
    system-tray that tells me how the wireless network is doing. When AOL
    restarts, a small notice appears saying that I now have an excellent
    connection to the internet. It never says that I have anything less
    than that.

    I'm really confused as I've tried lots of solutions:

    a) I'm now using McAfee's Firewall. I've made AOL an exception.
    b) I've built the network settings again from scratch.
    c) I've upgraded my router's firmware to the latest beta version.
    d) I've bought McAfee's virus-checker.
    e) I've downloaded numerous anti-spyware programs.

    These solutions haven't helped.

    My hardware consists of:

    2 PCs running Windows XP and AOL*
    1 WAG54G wireless router - with ports open for AOL on the top 4 IPs (I
    occasionally add other computers to the network).

    The sporadic connection applies notwithstanding which PC that I am
    using. Since the problem surfaces consistently when I load AOL, I
    suspect that it is not a physical problem with the connection - rather
    something to do with my settings / router?

    Questions:
    a) Does opening too many ports cause problems? I've shut windows' own
    firewall off now because I thought that it might interfere with McAfee.

    b) Could the problem relate to my router? I've turned down the MCU size
    to 1400. I've read that the linksys WAG54G isn't very reliable.
    Nonetheless, it works perfectly when AOL isn't loaded. I can't fault
    the wireless network either.

    c) I spoke to AOL about the problem. They sent me a pre-written email
    telling me to clear out my internet history / cookies etc. This didn't
    help.

    Please help!!!

    Niall

    * I know that AOL has a bad reputation but I tried several other ISPs
    around 10 years ago and found AOL to be the best. I don't want to lose
    my email addresses now so am hoping to fix the problem rather than
    avoid it!

    , May 4, 2005

  2. Hi there

    AOL is pretty fussy about what it routers it supports. Have tried the
    Liknsys, and sufered the same problems. Now I use a Netgear DG834G wireless
    router, and there seems to be no problems connecting to either the ineternet
    or the AOL client

    May be worth borrowing or getting one of the netgear routers and see if that
    improves the situation.

    Just my 2P's worth :eek:)

    =?Utf-8?B?bW9zc2dpZWw=?=, May 4, 2005