    Any hints, couldnt find anything on Borthers site or via Google. (Maybe my
    search string was incorrect)

    Rider

    Rider, Jun 2, 2005

  2. Rider wrote:
    > Anyone had an XP Home pc slow down horribly when you share a printer?
    >
    > Computer running XP Home with SP2: turned on sharing for his printer
    > (HL1440) and after rebooting the machine is running really really slowly. If
    > I go in to task mamnager, and end the Spoolsv.exe from running, the computer
    > goes back to normal speed.
    >
    > I turned off the sharing on that printer, and the computer works fine.
    > Reboot and turned the sharing back on, back to going slow. Have to end the
    > Spoolsv.exe file to get the computer to do anything.
    >
    > Any hints, couldnt find anything on Borthers site or via Google. (Maybe my
    > search string was incorrect)

    you may want to check the spool directory to see if there are any old
    print jobs there.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 2, 2005

  3. Rider

    Rider Guest

    > Rider wrote:
    >> Anyone had an XP Home pc slow down horribly when you share a printer?
    >>
    >> Computer running XP Home with SP2: turned on sharing for his printer
    >> (HL1440) and after rebooting the machine is running really really slowly.
    >> If I go in to task mamnager, and end the Spoolsv.exe from running, the
    >> computer goes back to normal speed.
    >>
    >> I turned off the sharing on that printer, and the computer works fine.
    >> Reboot and turned the sharing back on, back to going slow. Have to end
    >> the Spoolsv.exe file to get the computer to do anything.
    >>
    >> Any hints, couldnt find anything on Borthers site or via Google. (Maybe
    >> my search string was incorrect)

    > you may want to check the spool directory to see if there are any old
    > print jobs there.

    Cheers, looked there and there weren't any files in there at all.

    I've tried updated drivers for both printers and that didnt help.

    I uninstalled SP2 and reinstalled off an MS SP2 CD, but as soon as I turned
    the sharing on, it slowed down again.

    I now hate this machine alot!

    LoL

    Rider

    Rider, Jun 3, 2005
  4. Rider

    Rider Guest

    > Rider wrote:
    >> Anyone had an XP Home pc slow down horribly when you share a printer?
    >>
    >> Computer running XP Home with SP2: turned on sharing for his printer
    >> (HL1440) and after rebooting the machine is running really really slowly.
    >> If I go in to task mamnager, and end the Spoolsv.exe from running, the
    >> computer goes back to normal speed.
    >>
    >> I turned off the sharing on that printer, and the computer works fine.
    >> Reboot and turned the sharing back on, back to going slow. Have to end
    >> the Spoolsv.exe file to get the computer to do anything.
    >>
    >> Any hints, couldnt find anything on Borthers site or via Google. (Maybe
    >> my search string was incorrect)

    > you may want to check the spool directory to see if there are any old
    > print jobs there.

    I've left the machine to sit there for about 40 mins, after which the
    computer returns to normal speed. Who the hell is gonna wait 40 mins or so
    for their pc to work at normal speed. LoL

    Rider

    Rider, Jun 3, 2005
  5. Rider wrote:

    >>>Any hints, couldnt find anything on Borthers site or via Google. (Maybe
    >>>my search string was incorrect)

    >>you may want to check the spool directory to see if there are any old
    >>print jobs there.

    > I've left the machine to sit there for about 40 mins, after which the
    > computer returns to normal speed. Who the hell is gonna wait 40 mins or so
    > for their pc to work at normal speed. LoL

    so it drops to a crawl when you send a print job again? or is it fine now?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 3, 2005
  6. Rider

    Richard Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > so it drops to a crawl when you send a print job again? or is it fine now?

    Parallel makes machines grind to a crawl under windows, always has done. thats
    why I moved my printer to a ethernet print server.

    Richard, Jun 3, 2005
  7. On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 09:18:06 +1200, "Rider"
    <> wrote:

    >Anyone had an XP Home pc slow down horribly when you share a printer?
    >
    >Computer running XP Home with SP2: turned on sharing for his printer
    >(HL1440) and after rebooting the machine is running really really slowly.

    Does it do the same if you set up the HL-1440 as something it emulates
    (e.g. HP LaserJet IIP) and share that? i.e. is it the brother driver
    or Windows causing it :)

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand

    Kristofer Clayton, Jun 3, 2005
  8. Rider

    Andrew Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> so it drops to a crawl when you send a print job again? or is it fine
    >> now?

    > Parallel makes machines grind to a crawl under windows, always has done.
    > thats why I moved my printer to a ethernet print server.

    odd. my brother HL1440 runs parallel and it has not made any difference
    to the machines running at all

    Andrew, Jun 3, 2005
  9. Rider

    Impossible Guest

    "Rider" <> wrote in message

    > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    >> Rider wrote:
    >>> Anyone had an XP Home pc slow down horribly when you share a
    >>> printer?
    >>>
    >>> Computer running XP Home with SP2: turned on sharing for his
    >>> printer (HL1440) and after rebooting the machine is running really
    >>> really slowly. If I go in to task mamnager, and end the
    >>> Spoolsv.exe from running, the computer goes back to normal speed.
    >>>
    >>> I turned off the sharing on that printer, and the computer works
    >>> fine. Reboot and turned the sharing back on, back to going slow.
    >>> Have to end the Spoolsv.exe file to get the computer to do
    >>> anything.
    >>>
    >>> Any hints, couldnt find anything on Borthers site or via Google.
    >>> (Maybe my search string was incorrect)

    >> you may want to check the spool directory to see if there are any
    >> old print jobs there.

    > I've left the machine to sit there for about 40 mins, after which
    > the computer returns to normal speed. Who the hell is gonna wait 40
    > mins or so for their pc to work at normal speed. LoL

    This sounds more like a network problem -- I run the same printer on
    an XP (Pro) network and it runs beautifully. Have you checked your
    security permissions? Looked in the events log?

    Impossible, Jun 3, 2005
  10. Rider

    Max Burke Guest

    > Richard scribbled:

    >> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> so it drops to a crawl when you send a print job again? or is it
    >> fine now?

    > Parallel makes machines grind to a crawl under windows, always has
    > done. thats why I moved my printer to a ethernet print server.

    Not on ANY of the windows computers I have had/used... (that's going right
    back to Win 3.1 on a 286 in the early 1990's...)

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Jun 4, 2005
  11. Rider

    Richard Guest

    Max Burke wrote:

    >> Parallel makes machines grind to a crawl under windows, always has
    >> done. thats why I moved my printer to a ethernet print server.

    > Not on ANY of the windows computers I have had/used... (that's going
    > right back to Win 3.1 on a 286 in the early 1990's...)

    Thats odd, on all my machines, using the parallel port makes the system part of
    device manager take all the CPU up and any tasks slow down markedly.

    Richard, Jun 4, 2005
  12. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "Kristofer Clayton" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 09:18:06 +1200, "Rider"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Anyone had an XP Home pc slow down horribly when you share a printer?
    >>
    >>Computer running XP Home with SP2: turned on sharing for his printer
    >>(HL1440) and after rebooting the machine is running really really slowly.

    > Does it do the same if you set up the HL-1440 as something it emulates
    > (e.g. HP LaserJet IIP) and share that? i.e. is it the brother driver
    > or Windows causing it :)

    I have tried another printer, a Canon BJC4550 with updated drivers from
    Canon. Same problem.

    This happens if the pc is hooked up to the 2 PC network, or stand alone. As
    soon as a printer is shared, then you reboot, it runs horribly slowly. End
    the Spoolsv.exe file from running, the speed is back to normal. Also, if you
    boot and leave the machine alone for approx 40 mins .... the speed
    eventuslly goes back to normal.

    I might try extracting a new Spoolsv.exe file and see what that does. I saw
    a similar problem with Office 2003 but that was an update issue. I expect
    this is as well, but have no idea which update.

    Rider

    Rider, Jun 4, 2005
  13. Rider

    Impossible Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Max Burke wrote:
    >
    >>> Parallel makes machines grind to a crawl under windows, always has
    >>> done. thats why I moved my printer to a ethernet print server.

    >> Not on ANY of the windows computers I have had/used... (that's
    >> going right back to Win 3.1 on a 286 in the early 1990's...)

    > Thats odd, on all my machines, using the parallel port makes the
    > system part of device manager take all the CPU up and any tasks slow
    > down markedly.

    With older systems, parallel data transfer is largely performed by
    software, so this can be a problem. IEEE 1284-compliant ports, on the
    other hand, provide for hardware-driven printing up to 2 MBps.
    Shouldn't be a problem at all if you have the ports configured
    properly in the bios. IEEE 1284-compliant cables can also improve
    performance significantly.

    Impossible, Jun 4, 2005
  14. Rider

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    "Impossible" <> wrote:

    >With older systems, parallel data transfer is largely performed by
    >software, so this can be a problem. IEEE 1284-compliant ports, on the
    >other hand, provide for hardware-driven printing up to 2 MBps.
    >Shouldn't be a problem at all if you have the ports configured
    >properly in the bios. IEEE 1284-compliant cables can also improve
    >performance significantly.

    The basic (non enhanced) parallel port can be used 2 ways:

    1: Output a byte, then repeatedly check (poll) the port until the printer
    has accepted it. Repeat.

    2: Output a byte, then do something else until the printer port raises an
    interrupt to indicate the printer has accepted it. Repeat.

    ECP/EPP ports add the ability to transfer a whole block of bytes from a
    buffer to the printer before interrupting the CPU for the next buffer full.

    DOS used the polling method, so some printer cable manufacturers left some
    of the wires needed for IRQ mode out of the printer cable to save costs.
    (IEEE 1284 compliant cables have all the wires, plus low capacitance wire to
    allow higher speed data transfer.)

    Windows used the polling method by default because of backward compatability
    concerns - if the printer worked under DOS but not under Windows due to a
    cheap printer cable, the user invariably blamed Windows and not the cable.

    Some OSes allowed the option of IRQ transfer - I did a test under OS/2 one
    time, using a standard parallel port to drive a big laser printer. In
    polling mode, CPU usage was 100% when printing. In IRQ mode, CPU usage was
    about 3%. (On a 486-66.)

    In summary, make sure your parallel port is set to ECP/EPP mode (in the BIOS
    settings) and that your printer driver is operating in enhanced mode (I'm
    not a Windows guy, I have no idea how you do that under current versions of
    Windows.)

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    -- Microsoft advertisement on the box for Windows 2.11 for 286

    Don Hills, Jun 4, 2005
  15. Rider

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Rider wrote:
    > Anyone had an XP Home pc slow down horribly when you share a printer?
    >
    > Computer running XP Home with SP2: turned on sharing for his printer
    > (HL1440) and after rebooting the machine is running really really slowly. If
    > I go in to task mamnager, and end the Spoolsv.exe from running, the computer
    > goes back to normal speed.
    >
    > I turned off the sharing on that printer, and the computer works fine.
    > Reboot and turned the sharing back on, back to going slow. Have to end the
    > Spoolsv.exe file to get the computer to do anything.
    >
    > Any hints, couldnt find anything on Borthers site or via Google. (Maybe my
    > search string was incorrect)
    >
    > Rider

    Some of the cheeper lazer printers (win printers) use a lot of cpu time
    in the driver (the printer doesent do much processing) when these are
    shared the host pc is taken to its knees. Many moons ago a new coustomer
    complaned his (fax, Printer & BW scaner) wouldent share properly, well
    the sales brochure said unit not desinged to share the operation manual
    said not recomended to share. well it was a GDI printer with a com
    redirection to parrall I got it to share and the host pc went real slow
    like. About as slow as a 486DX100 or so it seemed. lesson there are some
    things that should not be shared ever! even if windows lets you do that.
    Now if the printer has languages built in and say the option of post
    script then they will share ok usaly much better off a print server over
    ethernet.

    Robert Cooze, Jun 4, 2005