    I have noticed that some posters have a spoofed e-mail address.
    How do they do that?

    Thanks

    Nick, Mar 28, 2006

  2. Nick

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 07:12:37 GMT, "Nick" <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I have noticed that some posters have a spoofed e-mail address.
    >How do they do that?
    >
    >Thanks

    Because otherwise evil bastards collect them automatically
    and you set shedloads of advertising about pills, loans and
    the latest stock nonsense.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Mar 28, 2006

  3. Nick

    CJ Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 07:12:37 GMT, "Nick" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I have noticed that some posters have a spoofed e-mail address.
    >> How do they do that?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > Because otherwise evil bastards collect them automatically
    > and you set shedloads of advertising about pills, loans and
    > the latest stock nonsense.

    That was the 'why'.

    The how is to set the newsreader up with a fake address. In Outlook Express,
    for example, Tools, Accounts, News, Properties, Email, and type
    rubbish

    Etiquette says use a fake TLD address such as @now.invalid rather than one
    which may be real, eg @ now.com, that you may not be entitled to use,
    otherwise the rightful owner gets spammed. See 'why' above.

    Some people use their real address interspersed with added text such as
    REMOVETHISBIT so that anyone who needs to know a real address can work it
    out whereas the harvesting bots just hoover up the whole thing.

    CJ

    CJ, Mar 28, 2006
  4. Nick

    Example Guest

    CJ wrote:
    > Jim Watt wrote:
    >> On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 07:12:37 GMT, "Nick" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> I have noticed that some posters have a spoofed e-mail address.
    >>> How do they do that?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >> Because otherwise evil bastards collect them automatically
    >> and you set shedloads of advertising about pills, loans and
    >> the latest stock nonsense.

    > That was the 'why'.
    >
    > The how is to set the newsreader up with a fake address. In Outlook Express,
    > for example, Tools, Accounts, News, Properties, Email, and type
    > rubbish
    >
    > Etiquette says use a fake TLD address such as @now.invalid rather than one
    > which may be real, eg @ now.com, that you may not be entitled to use,
    > otherwise the rightful owner gets spammed. See 'why' above.
    >
    > Some people use their real address interspersed with added text such as
    > REMOVETHISBIT so that anyone who needs to know a real address can work it
    > out whereas the harvesting bots just hoover up the whole thing.
    >
    > CJ

    I just use example.com domain to post. Then I post my public pgp key on
    alt.privacy.pgp for those that want to communicate with me securely.
    ___________________
    Sean Heeger
    2043 Elm St.
    Quincy, ll 62301
    312-242-1691

    Example, Mar 28, 2006
  5. Nick

    Ron Lopshire Guest

    Nick wrote:

    > I have noticed that some posters have a spoofed e-mail address.
    > How do they do that?

    Nick,

    It's a jungle out there.

    How to mung your email address for newsgroups --- without causing harm
    to someone else:

    (http://www.2kevin.net/munging.html)

    Ron :)

    Ron Lopshire, Mar 28, 2006
  6. Nick

    Nick Guest

    "Ron Lopshire" <> wrote in message
    > Nick wrote:
    >
    >> I have noticed that some posters have a spoofed e-mail address.
    >> How do they do that?

    > Nick,
    >
    > It's a jungle out there.
    >
    > How to mung your email address for newsgroups --- without causing harm to
    > someone else:
    >
    > (http://www.2kevin.net/munging.html)
    >
    > Ron :)

    Thanks all!

    I had the wrong impression that my ISP would not allow a spoofed account.

    Nick, Mar 29, 2006
  7. Nick

    Half_Light Guest

    On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 08:37:42 -0500, Ron Lopshire <>
    wrote:

    >It's a jungle out there.
    >
    >How to mung your email address for newsgroups --- without causing harm
    >to someone else:
    >
    > (http://www.2kevin.net/munging.html)
    >
    >Ron :)

    What I want to know is how one spoofs *all* their headers. :)

    Half_Light, Apr 3, 2006
  8. Nick

    Half_Light Guest

    On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 23:19:08 GMT, "Nick" <> wrote:

    >Thanks all!
    >
    >I had the wrong impression that my ISP would not allow a spoofed account.

    Years ago the usenet FAQ said it was not allowed but it is accepted
    now because the spam has gotten so bad.

    Half_Light, Apr 3, 2006
  9. Nick

    Nick Guest

    "Half_Light" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 23:19:08 GMT, "Nick" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Thanks all!
    >>
    >>I had the wrong impression that my ISP would not allow a spoofed account.
    >>

    > Years ago the usenet FAQ said it was not allowed but it is accepted
    > now because the spam has gotten so bad.

    Yeah, some people do not have headers here, especially that "Organization"
    thingy :)
    Let me know if you find a way... I will do the same .

    Nick, Apr 4, 2006