spoof WPA warning?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Tim Lister, Feb 12, 2004.

  1. Tim Lister

    Tim Lister Guest

    I'm fairly new to the internet, certainly from a security standpoint
    but over the year or so that I've been online I have learned a great
    deal about the subject simply by lurking in this newsgroup as I feel
    that you recieve a far broader introduction to network security than
    could ever be provided by an "how to.." type of webpage!
    I've only recently upgraded mu OS from W98 to XPhome & so am new to
    the functioning of the Windows Product Activation. I activated my
    current hardware set-up after a couple of weeks of use & it's now
    comming up to about a month since my origional install of the new OS,
    which would've been the deadline for activation had I not already done so.
    Today I recieved an e-mail without any attachment that appeared to
    origionate from which was pretty much an exact copy
    of the text from the webpage about piracy at microsofts website
    suggesting that I had three days in which to activate my OS (which I'm
    fairly sure that I've already done!)!
    If I interpreted the headers properly, the mail origionated from a
    domain in the Netherlands called alienware.com & contained two URL's to
    which I've been directed in order to activate my software under threat
    of my (legitamate)product key being labelled as a pirate's key! The URLs
    are as follows:

    https://register.windows.com/secure/activation/windows
    <http://%6F%6E%2D%74%72%61%63%6B%73%2E%63%6F%6D/%69%6E%64%65%78%32%2E%68%74%6D>

    Am I correct in believing that this is some sort of scam designed to
    lead me to a website where some malicious trick is waiting for me or am
    I being overly cautious? I'm slightly concerned due to the (presumably
    fortuitous?) timing coinciding with the actual origional activation
    deadline but surely the e-mail wouldn't have origionated from Holland if
    genuine? If this isn't kosher, could any of the experts on this group
    hazard a guess as to what sort of scam this is? I'm sorry to bother you
    all if this is just me being a bit paranoid but as I said, I'm fairly
    new to all of this internet security business but I find it all quite
    fascinating & look forwards to learning more from you all as I take more
    small steps to developing my knowledge of these matters!
    Thank you all in advance, TJ
    Tim Lister, Feb 12, 2004

  2. In article <elBWb.4024$>,
    says...
    > I'm fairly new to the internet, certainly from a security standpoint
    > but over the year or so that I've been online I have learned a great
    > deal about the subject simply by lurking in this newsgroup as I feel
    > that you recieve a far broader introduction to network security than
    > could ever be provided by an "how to.." type of webpage!
    > I've only recently upgraded mu OS from W98 to XPhome & so am new to
    > the functioning of the Windows Product Activation. I activated my
    > current hardware set-up after a couple of weeks of use & it's now
    > comming up to about a month since my origional install of the new OS,
    > which would've been the deadline for activation had I not already done so.
    > Today I recieved an e-mail without any attachment that appeared to
    > origionate from which was pretty much an exact copy
    > of the text from the webpage about piracy at microsofts website
    > suggesting that I had three days in which to activate my OS (which I'm
    > fairly sure that I've already done!)!
    > If I interpreted the headers properly, the mail origionated from a
    > domain in the Netherlands called alienware.com & contained two URL's to
    > which I've been directed in order to activate my software under threat
    > of my (legitamate)product key being labelled as a pirate's key! The URLs
    > are as follows:
    >
    > https://register.windows.com/secure/activation/windows
    > <http://%6F%6E%2D%74%72%61%63%6B%73%2E%63%6F%6D/%69%6E%64%65%78%32%2E%68%74%6D>
    >
    > Am I correct in believing that this is some sort of scam designed to
    > lead me to a website where some malicious trick is waiting for me or am
    > I being overly cautious? I'm slightly concerned due to the (presumably
    > fortuitous?) timing coinciding with the actual origional activation
    > deadline but surely the e-mail wouldn't have origionated from Holland if
    > genuine? If this isn't kosher, could any of the experts on this group
    > hazard a guess as to what sort of scam this is? I'm sorry to bother you
    > all if this is just me being a bit paranoid but as I said, I'm fairly
    > new to all of this internet security business but I find it all quite
    > fascinating & look forwards to learning more from you all as I take more
    > small steps to developing my knowledge of these matters!
    > Thank you all in advance, TJ

    That would be a fair guess, considering the obfuscated URL goes to:

    http://on-tracks.com/index2.htm

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/