Spoof Google e-mails

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by zamackie@yahoo.co.uk, Mar 3, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I received the following on 1st February.

    Is it real? Are you familiar with it?

    David.

    THE Google PROMOTION TEAM

    North London Business Park (NLBP)
    Oakleigh Road South, London N11 1NP

    Tuesday, February 28 2006

    Dear Lucky Googler,

    WINNING GOOGLER

    G o o g l e has set out and successfully organised a Sweepstakes
    marking the end of the year 2005 anniversary. We rolled out over
    £2,000.000.00 (Two million pounds) for our end of year Anniversary
    Draws. Participants for the draws were randomly selected and drawn from
    a wide range of web searchers (googlers) which we enjoy their
    patronage.

    The selection was made through a computer draw system attaching
    personalised email addresses to ticket numbers. G o o g l e is now the
    largest search engine and in an effort to make sure that it remains the
    most widely used program, G o o g l e is running an e-mail beta test.
    Your email address as indicated was drawn and attached to ticket number
    009695722664 with serial numbers BTD/8070447706/06 and drew the lucky
    numbers 12-12-23-35-40-41(12) which subsequently won you £200, 000.00
    (Two Hundred Thousand Pounds) as one of the 10 jackpot winners in this
    draw. You have therefore won the entire winning sum of £200,000.00
    (Two Hundred Thousand Pounds). The draws registered as Draw number one
    was conducted in London, United Kingdom on the 30th of December 2005.
    These Draws are commemorative and as such special.

    By this winning notification and to file your claims,you are to make
    contact with your designated agent who shall by duty guide you through
    the process to facilitate the release of your prize. To file for your
    claim please contact your fiduciary agent:

    Richard Wells, G o o g l e Promotion Team
    London, United Kingdom
    Email: Phone: 703 194 3098 / 702 4015 907

    You are advised to contact your fiduciary agent with the following
    details to avoid unnecessary delay and complications: Your Name (in
    Full), Country, Ticket Numbers, Serial Number, Lucky Numbers as
    indicated in this winning Notification and Phone numbers.

    Our special thanks and gratitude to Larry Page, co-founder/President
    and his associates. We wish you the best of luck as you spend your good
    fortune.Thank you for being part of this promotional award program and
    for using our search engine.

    Sincerely,

    Bruce Mills
    Google Promotion Team

    Happy New Year:

    NB: PLEASE NOTE! Any claim not made before ten (10) working days from
    date of notification indicate that the winner has voluntarily
    forfeited his/her winnings

    Find just what you're after with the new, more precise MSN Search - try
    it now!

    , Mar 3, 2006

  2. DrCrock Guest

    wrote:
    > I received the following on 1st February.
    >
    > Is it real? Are you familiar with it?
    >
    > David.
    >

    > THE Google PROMOTION TEAM
    >
    > North London Business Park (NLBP)
    > Oakleigh Road South, London N11 1NP
    >
    > Tuesday, February 28 2006
    >
    > Dear Lucky Googler,
    >
    > WINNING GOOGLER
    >
    > G o o g l e has set out and successfully organised a Sweepstakes
    > marking the end of the year 2005 anniversary. We rolled out over
    > £2,000.000.00 (Two million pounds) for our end of year Anniversary
    > Draws. Participants for the draws were randomly selected and drawn from
    > a wide range of web searchers (googlers) which we enjoy their
    > patronage.
    >
    > The selection was made through a computer draw system attaching
    > personalised email addresses to ticket numbers. G o o g l e is now the
    > largest search engine and in an effort to make sure that it remains the
    > most widely used program, G o o g l e is running an e-mail beta test.
    > Your email address as indicated was drawn and attached to ticket number
    > 009695722664 with serial numbers BTD/8070447706/06 and drew the lucky
    > numbers 12-12-23-35-40-41(12) which subsequently won you £200, 000.00
    > (Two Hundred Thousand Pounds) as one of the 10 jackpot winners in this
    > draw. You have therefore won the entire winning sum of £200,000.00
    > (Two Hundred Thousand Pounds). The draws registered as Draw number one
    > was conducted in London, United Kingdom on the 30th of December 2005.
    > These Draws are commemorative and as such special.
    >
    > By this winning notification and to file your claims,you are to make
    > contact with your designated agent who shall by duty guide you through
    > the process to facilitate the release of your prize. To file for your
    > claim please contact your fiduciary agent:
    >
    > Richard Wells, G o o g l e Promotion Team
    > London, United Kingdom
    > Email: Phone: 703 194 3098 / 702 4015 907
    >
    > You are advised to contact your fiduciary agent with the following
    > details to avoid unnecessary delay and complications: Your Name (in
    > Full), Country, Ticket Numbers, Serial Number, Lucky Numbers as
    > indicated in this winning Notification and Phone numbers.
    >
    > Our special thanks and gratitude to Larry Page, co-founder/President
    > and his associates. We wish you the best of luck as you spend your good
    > fortune.Thank you for being part of this promotional award program and
    > for using our search engine.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Bruce Mills
    > Google Promotion Team
    >
    > Happy New Year:
    >
    > NB: PLEASE NOTE! Any claim not made before ten (10) working days from
    > date of notification indicate that the winner has voluntarily
    > forfeited his/her winnings

    > Find just what you're after with the new, more precise MSN Search - try
    > it now!

    This is fake, do a whois on gogga.co.uk domain, you can judge for yourself

    DrCrock, Mar 3, 2006

  3. Vanguard Guest

    Vanguard, Mar 3, 2006
  4. Mara Guest

    On 3 Mar 2006 05:01:29 -0800, "" <>
    wrote:

    >I received the following on 1st February.
    >
    >Is it real? Are you familiar with it?

    It's a scam. The headers will show it didn't come from google at all.

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?W16323CBC

    --
    If you think technology can solve your security problems, then you
    don't understand the problems and you don't understand the technology.

    Mara, Mar 3, 2006
  5. X-No-Archive: YES
    [] has entered into testimony

    ----------
    > Find just what you're after with the new, more precise MSN Search -
    > try it now!

    *sighs*

    Any... let me repeat that... ANY email you receive that tells you that
    you have won a large sum of money in a contest that you never entered is
    going to be a phony. It never ceases to amaze me the number of people
    who get swept up in these dragnets. The marriage of greed and
    gullibility always produces victims, and most of the time, these victims
    never learn.

    --

    Skepticult® Member# 581-00504-208
    ChadwickStone at Gmail dot com

    Chadwick Stone©, Mar 3, 2006
  6. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:

    > Is it real?

    When you are trying to determine the veracity of a suspicous item, you
    don't do it by reading its From and Subject and rendered body contents.
    You start by determining the bogosity found in the headers by displaying
    the complete headers and parsing for the source IP which will typically
    show that the lying and or abuse begins in the headers. Lying by not
    being from whom it says and/or abuse by sometimes being sourced from an
    abused proxy, apparently not here.

    In many phish cases the examination of the unrendered body will show
    that what you might paste here by copying and pasting of the rendered
    text is not 'true' in terms of where the links actually go.

    This lottery spamscam is the lead-in to an advance fee fraud 419
    variant. In this case, there may not be a difference between the
    rendered and unrendered payload address.

    The payload address itself is derived a free mail accounts which can be
    seen here http://www.jislaaik.com/ in the "Select primary 'email
    domain'" window -- and the trailer at the bottom of the spamscam
    indicates that it was apparently sent by msn or hotmail mailer.

    So you would be asked to believe that the 200K uk pounds prize is being
    administered by some free mail account persona.

    There weren't any similar items available yet in the sightings ng.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 3, 2006
  7. wrote:

    > I received the following on 1st February.
    >
    > Is it real? Are you familiar with it?

    Of course it's real. I won £1.8 million in last year's Google Lotto.
    You must be the lucky person this year!!!!!!!!1!!!!!

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 3, 2006
  8. Daedalus Guest

    On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 13:43:24 GMT, "Chadwick Stone©"
    <chad_stone@127.0.0.1>, wrote:

> [...]
    >>
    >> Sincerely,
    >>
    >> Bruce Mills
    >> Google Promotion Team
    >>
    >> Happy New Year:
    >>
    >> NB: PLEASE NOTE! Any claim not made before ten (10) working days from
    >> date of notification indicate that the winner has voluntarily
    >> forfeited his/her winnings

    >----------
    >> Find just what you're after with the new, more precise MSN Search -
    >> try it now!

    >*sighs*
    >
    >Any... let me repeat that... ANY email you receive that tells you that
    >you have won a large sum of money in a contest that you never entered is
    >going to be a phony. It never ceases to amaze me the number of people
    >who get swept up in these dragnets. The marriage of greed and
    >gullibility always produces victims, and most of the time, these victims

    Deposed Nigerian princes everywhere rejoice in this fact of humanity.

    Jade

    Dame of the OOTSWBTYCHWAPIAWTWMIBB

    Daedalus, Mar 3, 2006
  9. Trax Guest

    "" <> wrote:

    |>I received the following on 1st February.
    |>
    |>Is it real? Are you familiar with it?
    |>
    |>David.
    |>

    |>THE Google PROMOTION TEAM
    |>
    |>North London Business Park (NLBP)
    |>Oakleigh Road South, London N11 1NP
    |>
    |> Tuesday, February 28 2006
    |>
    |>Dear Lucky Googler,
    |>
    |>WINNING GOOGLER

    Yes it's real, you can do this the hard way (theirs), or the newer
    fast track method http://www.giveusallyourmoney.com/

    --
    http://www.sobicsschool.com/fun/fun_game2.swf

    Trax, Mar 3, 2006
  10. old man Guest

    The phone numbers given are invalid also

    old man, Mar 3, 2006
  11. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> I received the following on 1st February.
    >>
    >> Is it real? Are you familiar with it?

    > Of course it's real. I won £1.8 million in last year's Google Lotto.
    > You must be the lucky person this year!!!!!!!!1!!!!!

    For some reason a new Italian ice cream just came to mind...Googlotto.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 3, 2006
  12. Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-03-03, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I received the following on 1st February.
    >>>
    >>> Is it real? Are you familiar with it?

    >> Of course it's real. I won £1.8 million in last year's Google Lotto.
    >> You must be the lucky person this year!!!!!!!!1!!!!!

    > For some reason a new Italian ice cream just came to mind...Googlotto.

    Sticky toffee, maple syrup, ginger preserve, coriander, vanilla, and
    hundreds-and-thousands?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 4, 2006
  13. Whiskers wrote:

    > On 2006-03-03, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    >>> Of course it's real. I won £1.8 million in last year's Google Lotto.
    >>> You must be the lucky person this year!!!!!!!!1!!!!!

    >> For some reason a new Italian ice cream just came to mind...Googlotto.

    > Sticky toffee, maple syrup, ginger preserve, coriander, vanilla, and
    > hundreds-and-thousands?

    Shit! Someone beat me to it! If it's not Ben and/or Jerry, it's someone
    else!

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 4, 2006
  14. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > I received the following on 1st February.
    >
    > Is it real? Are you familiar with it?

    Yeah it's real. Send in your money asap or provide them with your bank
    account info. Be sure to include your mother's maiden name.

    Plato, Mar 4, 2006
  15. Jerry G. Guest

    We get all kinds of Spams like that. From time to time, these have even been
    mentioned on radio and TV news broadcasts over here. Most of them are
    telling us that we won lotos, or some other thing.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Mar 4, 2006
  16. Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-03-04, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:

    >>> For some reason a new Italian ice cream just came to mind...Googlotto.

    >> Sticky toffee, maple syrup, ginger preserve, coriander, vanilla, and
    >> hundreds-and-thousands?

    > Shit! Someone beat me to it! If it's not Ben and/or Jerry, it's someone
    > else!

    No, I just invented it but the inspiration is all yours :))

    --
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 4, 2006