    that this can occur. He is running Win2KPro, 1.7gig Celeron, 500mb DDR RAM
    (don't remember the speed), 40gig IDE HDD. Is this possible? If so, what
    would cause it?
    chuckie®, Aug 19, 2007

  2. chuckie®

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 02:35:55 GMT, "chuckie®" <>
    wrote:

    >My son-in-law has complained to me that his computer is turning itself on
    >spontaneously after he has shut it down. I have told him that it probably
    >didn't shutdown completely, however, he is adamant that it does. Now, I
    >haven't seen this phenomenon for myself as yet, but I find it hard to fathom
    >that this can occur. He is running Win2KPro, 1.7gig Celeron, 500mb DDR RAM
    >(don't remember the speed), 40gig IDE HDD. Is this possible? If so, what
    >would cause it?

    Look in the BIOS for "Wake On" something - LAN Activity, Modem ring,
    etc.
    Evan Platt, Aug 19, 2007

  3. chuckie® wrote:
    > My son-in-law has complained to me that his computer is turning itself on
    > spontaneously after he has shut it down. I have told him that it probably
    > didn't shutdown completely, however, he is adamant that it does. Now, I
    > haven't seen this phenomenon for myself as yet, but I find it hard to fathom
    > that this can occur. He is running Win2KPro, 1.7gig Celeron, 500mb DDR RAM
    > (don't remember the speed), 40gig IDE HDD. Is this possible? If so, what
    > would cause it?

    There have been many people who were found burnt down to the skeleton,
    sometimes even the bones are ashes. It's thought by those who aren't
    keen on supernatural incidences to be something like the burning of a
    candle where fat that is emulsified by the small amount of flames seeps
    out and becomes the fuel for the fire. If you ARE leaning toward the
    supernatural, one common thread seems to be don't smoke.

    HTH.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 19, 2007
  4. chuckie®

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > chuckie® wrote:
    >> My son-in-law has complained to me that his computer is turning itself on
    >> spontaneously after he has shut it down. I have told him that it
    >> probably
    >> didn't shutdown completely, however, he is adamant that it does. Now, I
    >> haven't seen this phenomenon for myself as yet, but I find it hard to
    >> fathom
    >> that this can occur. He is running Win2KPro, 1.7gig Celeron, 500mb DDR
    >> RAM
    >> (don't remember the speed), 40gig IDE HDD. Is this possible? If so,
    >> what
    >> would cause it?

    > There have been many people who were found burnt down to the skeleton,
    > sometimes even the bones are ashes. It's thought by those who aren't keen
    > on supernatural incidences to be something like the burning of a candle
    > where fat that is emulsified by the small amount of flames seeps out and
    > becomes the fuel for the fire. If you ARE leaning toward the supernatural,
    > one common thread seems to be don't smoke.

    Score:

    Relevance - .01
    Quality - 10
    WhzzKdd, Aug 19, 2007
  5. chuckie®

    chuckie® Guest

    Thanks Evan, I actually hadn't thought of that. Knowing him (the
    son-in-law), it's entirely possible that he was fooling around in there and
    turned something on. I'll check it out at my first opportunity...
    chuckie®, Aug 19, 2007
  6. chuckie®

    chuckie® Guest

    At the risk of sounding dumb...HUH?
    chuckie®, Aug 19, 2007
  7. WhzzKdd wrote:
    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >> chuckie® wrote:
    >>> My son-in-law has complained to me that his computer is turning itself on
    >>> spontaneously after he has shut it down. I have told him that it
    >>> probably
    >>> didn't shutdown completely, however, he is adamant that it does. Now, I
    >>> haven't seen this phenomenon for myself as yet, but I find it hard to
    >>> fathom
    >>> that this can occur. He is running Win2KPro, 1.7gig Celeron, 500mb DDR
    >>> RAM
    >>> (don't remember the speed), 40gig IDE HDD. Is this possible? If so,
    >>> what
    >>> would cause it?

    >> There have been many people who were found burnt down to the skeleton,
    >> sometimes even the bones are ashes. It's thought by those who aren't keen
    >> on supernatural incidences to be something like the burning of a candle
    >> where fat that is emulsified by the small amount of flames seeps out and
    >> becomes the fuel for the fire. If you ARE leaning toward the supernatural,
    >> one common thread seems to be don't smoke.
    >>

    > Score:
    >
    > Relevance - .01
    > Quality - 10

    I shot an irrelevant in pajamas the other day.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 19, 2007
  8. chuckie®

    Kevin Guest

    To: chuckie®
    Re: spontaneous start up
    By: chuckie® to 24hoursupport.helpdesk on Sun Aug 19 2007 03:35:55

    It's computer AIDS, it's terminal I'm afraid.

    > From Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >
    > My son-in-law has complained to me that his computer is turning itself on
    > spontaneously after he has shut it down. I have told him that it probably
    > didn't shutdown completely, however, he is adamant that it does. Now, I
    > haven't seen this phenomenon for myself as yet, but I find it hard to fathom
    > that this can occur. He is running Win2KPro, 1.7gig Celeron, 500mb DDR RAM
    > (don't remember the speed), 40gig IDE HDD. Is this possible? If so, what
    > would cause it?

    --- ANTI-SPAM: Please remove the .remove-[random]-this to reply via email.
    * FREENET UK - USENET Gateway - http://www.freenet.org.uk/
    Kevin, Aug 19, 2007
  9. chuckie®

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > WhzzKdd wrote:
    >> "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >>> There have been many people who were found burnt down to the skeleton,
    >>> sometimes even the bones are ashes. It's thought by those who aren't
    >>> keen on supernatural incidences to be something like the burning of a
    >>> candle where fat that is emulsified by the small amount of flames seeps
    >>> out and becomes the fuel for the fire. If you ARE leaning toward the
    >>> supernatural, one common thread seems to be don't smoke.
    >>>

    >> Score:
    >>
    >> Relevance - .01
    >> Quality - 10

    > I shot an irrelevant in pajamas the other day.

    Oh no - not that one again ;)

    (Doesn't he ever get dressed?)

    WhzzKdd, Aug 19, 2007
  10. chuckie® wrote:
    > At the risk of sounding dumb...HUH?

    Try to keep up. It's a play on words. Spontaneous combustion. The OP's
    problem is obviously a Wake On Lan or similar feature, but I tried to
    interject some levity by misdirecting the subject to some similar
    sounding problem. Perhaps I'll start including graphs and blueprints for
    my jokes from now on.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 19, 2007
  11. chuckie®

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > chuckie® wrote:
    >> At the risk of sounding dumb...HUH?

    > Try to keep up. It's a play on words. Spontaneous combustion. The OP's
    > problem is obviously a Wake On Lan or similar feature, but I tried to
    > interject some levity by misdirecting the subject to some similar sounding
    > problem. Perhaps I'll start including graphs and blueprints for my jokes
    > from now on.

    Heh! I do that at work with my purchase orders. I put line drawings with
    them so the idiots shipping stuff to me know how to stack it on the pallet
    so it doesn't get damaged. I bet they don't think it's funny <g>
    WhzzKdd, Aug 19, 2007
  12. chuckie®

    chuckie® Guest

    I'm fifty-seven years old with very bad knees...keeping up isn't an
    option...
    chuckie®, Aug 19, 2007
  13. chuckie®

    chuckie® Guest

    The people I work with wouldn't be able to follow that...I have trouble
    getting them to tie-stack pallets even when I do the first two rows for
    them...<sigh>
    chuckie®, Aug 19, 2007
  14. chuckie®

    chuckie® Guest

    Can't be...the computer in question has been totally celibate for many
    years. Hasn't had a transfusion either...
    chuckie®, Aug 19, 2007
  15. chuckie® wrote:
    > I'm fifty-seven years old with very bad knees...keeping up isn't an
    > option...

    I'm 56 with a very bad brain. Keep up, chuckie®.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 19, 2007
  16. chuckie®

    chuckie® Guest

    Maybe if I get one of them scooter gizmos...
    chuckie®, Aug 19, 2007
  17. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 19, 2007
  18. chuckie®

    Guest

    "chuckie®" <> wrote:

    >My son-in-law has complained to me that his computer is turning itself on
    >spontaneously after he has shut it down. I have told him that it probably
    >didn't shutdown completely, however, he is adamant that it does. Now, I
    >haven't seen this phenomenon for myself as yet, but I find it hard to fathom
    >that this can occur. He is running Win2KPro, 1.7gig Celeron, 500mb DDR RAM
    >(don't remember the speed), 40gig IDE HDD. Is this possible? If so, what
    >would cause it?

    Neighbor runs Win98 and asked if I could stop it from booting back up
    after he shuts it down, No problem....

    I disable everything in the bios that might cause this as far as
    taking out the ACPI, and Set everything in the control panel/Power
    Options correctly.

    Shut it down and it restarts itself :} still...

    I think somehow the green wire to start the computer is grounding out
    somewhere (switch or whatever).

    He's buying a new computer so doesn't want to take the time to open it
    up and find out.

    --

    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/164/401724349_db1e522fe3.jpg
    , Aug 19, 2007
  19. wrote:
    > "chuckie®" <> wrote:
    >
    >> My son-in-law has complained to me that his computer is turning itself on
    >> spontaneously after he has shut it down. I have told him that it probably
    >> didn't shutdown completely, however, he is adamant that it does. Now, I
    >> haven't seen this phenomenon for myself as yet, but I find it hard to fathom
    >> that this can occur. He is running Win2KPro, 1.7gig Celeron, 500mb DDR RAM
    >> (don't remember the speed), 40gig IDE HDD. Is this possible? If so, what
    >> would cause it?
    >>

    > Neighbor runs Win98 and asked if I could stop it from booting back up
    > after he shuts it down, No problem....
    >
    > I disable everything in the bios that might cause this as far as
    > taking out the ACPI, and Set everything in the control panel/Power
    > Options correctly.
    >
    > Shut it down and it restarts itself :} still...
    >
    > I think somehow the green wire to start the computer is grounding out
    > somewhere (switch or whatever).
    >
    > He's buying a new computer so doesn't want to take the time to open it
    > up and find out.

    If the green wire was grounding out it'd shut down after 4 seconds. You
    are, no doubt, aware of the Win98 shut down problems and fixes? Many
    links available.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 19, 2007
  20. chuckie®

    Guest

    Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >> I think somehow the green wire to start the computer is grounding out
    >> somewhere (switch or whatever).

    >If the green wire was grounding out it'd shut down after 4 seconds.

    I'm not sure that true, seeing as it's the on and off switch that
    grounds that wire out.
    www.bluemax.net/techtips/ATXPowerSupplyWiring/ATXPowerSupplyWiring.htm

    >You
    >are, no doubt, aware of the Win98 shut down problems and fixes? Many
    >links available.

    That was the short version, went thru it all.