Spontaneous Reboot Problem. Any help?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by mike4ty4@yahoo.com, Oct 19, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi.

    I've been having this problem for a while with my main computer (I've
    got 2, but my main one is a lot faster and better). It's been going on
    for a few months, but as of late (last week or so ) it's gotten much
    more frequent and quite annoying. The problem is that, apparently
    spontaneously, the system will reboot itself without warning. Just now
    as I was trying to compose a message to post here it rebooted. Shortly
    after that (I'm using the 2nd, slow computer to post this), it did it
    again! Totally idle! I first suspected a heat problem so I changed out
    the cooler for a bigger, more powerful model. Oddly enough, the
    increase in reboot frequency seemed to coincide with this but I do not
    know if this is more than just mere chance. I also tried renaming the
    Windows folder and then installing again so it would keep DLLs, etc.
    that I might need. I tried plugging the fan into another plug cable on
    the power supply to see if it's now because it seemed to be stalling
    intermittently and the reboots have gotten even more frequent.

    Interestingly, though, I tried running it in DOS (win98 ancient version
    from a floppy) all night and it didn't reboot. Less strain on the
    system?

    The system is all home-built from parts.

    Anyway, my system config. is this:

    Chip: Intel Celeron(TM) CPU 2.70 GHz (NO OVERCLOCK)
    Motherboard: Mach Speed X-Caliber P4X400DBP Socket 478
    RAM: 768 MB
    Hard disks: Two, one is 30 gig other is 40. Think both are Western
    Digital,
    Caviar. HDs seem to work OK.
    Video card: XFX GeForce FX-5200
    Power supply: don't remember
    CPU running temp: 118 F avg
    Operating system: Windows 2000 Professional

    Any ideas as to what could be causing this? Right now I'm suspecting
    the power supply. I think it was originally for a Pentium-III level
    processor (I upgraded after that one failed), so perhaps the current
    chip, which is P4-level, is putting more of a drain on it? I even
    suspected my home wiring -- tried plugging the system into different
    outlets in my home and it's still failing. Thanks for any help.
    , Oct 19, 2006

  2. Guest

    wrote:

    >I've been having this problem for a while with my main computer (I've
    >got 2, but my main one is a lot faster and better). It's been going on
    >for a few months, but as of late (last week or so ) it's gotten much
    >more frequent and quite annoying. The problem is that, apparently
    >spontaneously, the system will reboot itself without warning. Just now
    >as I was trying to compose a message to post here it rebooted. Shortly
    >after that (I'm using the 2nd, slow computer to post this), it did it
    >again! Totally idle! I first suspected a heat problem so I changed out
    >the cooler for a bigger, more powerful model. Oddly enough, the
    >increase in reboot frequency seemed to coincide with this but I do not
    >know if this is more than just mere chance. I also tried renaming the
    >Windows folder and then installing again so it would keep DLLs, etc.
    >that I might need. I tried plugging the fan into another plug cable on
    >the power supply to see if it's now because it seemed to be stalling
    >intermittently and the reboots have gotten even more frequent.

    Right Click "My Computer" - Properties - Advanced - startup and
    recovery setting ; Unselect auto restart.

    also

    Start | Run <type in> drwtsn32.exe <enter>
    under application errors will most of the time show what program your
    having problems with.

    --
    http://jesuspan.com/
    , Oct 19, 2006

  3. Guest

    wrote:
    > wrote:
    >

    > >I've been having this problem for a while with my main computer (I've
    > >got 2, but my main one is a lot faster and better). It's been going on
    > >for a few months, but as of late (last week or so ) it's gotten much
    > >more frequent and quite annoying. The problem is that, apparently
    > >spontaneously, the system will reboot itself without warning. Just now
    > >as I was trying to compose a message to post here it rebooted. Shortly
    > >after that (I'm using the 2nd, slow computer to post this), it did it
    > >again! Totally idle! I first suspected a heat problem so I changed out
    > >the cooler for a bigger, more powerful model. Oddly enough, the
    > >increase in reboot frequency seemed to coincide with this but I do not
    > >know if this is more than just mere chance. I also tried renaming the
    > >Windows folder and then installing again so it would keep DLLs, etc.
    > >that I might need. I tried plugging the fan into another plug cable on
    > >the power supply to see if it's now because it seemed to be stalling
    > >intermittently and the reboots have gotten even more frequent.

    > Right Click "My Computer" - Properties - Advanced - startup and
    > recovery setting ; Unselect auto restart.

    I tried that on the previous install, still rebooted.

    > also
    >
    > Start | Run <type in> drwtsn32.exe <enter>
    > under application errors will most of the time show what program your
    > having problems with.
    >

    > --
    > http://jesuspan.com/
    , Oct 19, 2006
  4. Guest

    wrote:

    >> Right Click "My Computer" - Properties - Advanced - startup and
    >> recovery setting ; Unselect auto restart.
    >>

    >I tried that on the previous install, still rebooted.

    Download and run Everest http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
    it will show your system temps, and tell you if it's a tad hot or not.

    >> also
    >>
    >> Start | Run <type in> drwtsn32.exe <enter>
    >> under application errors will most of the time show what program your
    >> having problems with.

    Nothing showing here? then it might not be the OS.

    --
    http://jesuspan.com/
    , Oct 19, 2006
  5. Guest

    wrote:
    > wrote:
    >

    > >> Right Click "My Computer" - Properties - Advanced - startup and
    > >> recovery setting ; Unselect auto restart.
    > >>

    > >I tried that on the previous install, still rebooted.

    > Download and run Everest http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
    > it will show your system temps, and tell you if it's a tad hot or not.

    Well, I used MotherBoard Monitor (another program) once, and I get a
    CPU
    temp of 118 degrees F and system temp of 75 degrees F.

    > >> also
    > >>
    > >> Start | Run <type in> drwtsn32.exe <enter>
    > >> under application errors will most of the time show what program your
    > >> having problems with.

    > Nothing showing here? then it might not be the OS.

    Actually, there is something. Two errors:

    ntvdm.exe 40000005 RaiseException(77E8F142)
    ntvdm.exe 40000005 RaiseException(77E8F142)

    > --
    > http://jesuspan.com/
    , Oct 19, 2006
  6. Guest

    wrote:
    > wrote:

    > > >I tried that on the previous install, still rebooted.

    > > Download and run Everest http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
    > > it will show your system temps, and tell you if it's a tad hot or not.
    > >

    > Well, I used MotherBoard Monitor (another program) once, and I get a
    > CPU
    > temp of 118 degrees F and system temp of 75 degrees F.

    > > Nothing showing here? then it might not be the OS.
    > >

    > Actually, there is something. Two errors:
    >
    > ntvdm.exe 40000005 RaiseException(77E8F142)
    > ntvdm.exe 40000005 RaiseException(77E8F142)

    Just found the cause of those errors, but it seems unrelated to
    the rebooting problem. They're due to me running a DOS C
    compiler (DJGPP) that sometimes crashes. It's done that well
    before the reboot problem started. It seems to be a compatibility
    issue between it and Win2K.

    > > --
    > > http://jesuspan.com/
    , Oct 19, 2006
  7. Gaius Baltar Guest

    On 18 Oct 2006 22:40:42 -0700, wrote:
    >Well, I used MotherBoard Monitor (another program) once, and I get a
    >CPU
    >temp of 118 degrees F and system temp of 75 degrees F.

    You mean 75°C, which is quite hot.

    In BIOS, PC Health might be set to shutdown when temp reaches this
    level. Or the temp might be causing some other malfunction. You can
    see CPU and other temps in BIOS in the PC health/hardware monitor
    section

    Power off the system, open the case and remove the fan from the CPU
    cooler (this is usually possible). Clean the heatsink find of any
    accumulated dust etc.

    If this doesn't turn out to be the prob, I would suspect RAM. Download
    MemTest 3.2 and run it.

    gb
    Gaius Baltar, Oct 19, 2006
  8. Guest

    Gaius Baltar wrote:
    > On 18 Oct 2006 22:40:42 -0700, wrote:
    > >Well, I used MotherBoard Monitor (another program) once, and I get a
    > >CPU
    > >temp of 118 degrees F and system temp of 75 degrees F.

    > You mean 75°C, which is quite hot.

    No, I meant F, not C. 75 F = 24 C approx.

    > In BIOS, PC Health might be set to shutdown when temp reaches this
    > level. Or the temp might be causing some other malfunction. You can
    > see CPU and other temps in BIOS in the PC health/hardware monitor
    > section
    >
    > Power off the system, open the case and remove the fan from the CPU
    > cooler (this is usually possible). Clean the heatsink find of any
    > accumulated dust etc.

    The CPU temperature, like I said, is 118 F (48 C). I got a new cooler
    and
    it idles at that temperature.

    > If this doesn't turn out to be the prob, I would suspect RAM. Download
    > MemTest 3.2 and run it.

    I'll give that a try. Then again there's also the power supply, too.
    That
    might be going bad. What do you think?

    > gb
    , Oct 19, 2006
  9. beenthere Guest

    <> wrote in message

    Gaius Baltar wrote:
    > On 18 Oct 2006 22:40:42 -0700, wrote:
    > >Well, I used MotherBoard Monitor (another program) once, and I get a
    > >CPU
    > >temp of 118 degrees F and system temp of 75 degrees F.

    > You mean 75°C, which is quite hot.

    No, I meant F, not C. 75 F = 24 C approx.

    > In BIOS, PC Health might be set to shutdown when temp reaches this
    > level. Or the temp might be causing some other malfunction. You can
    > see CPU and other temps in BIOS in the PC health/hardware monitor
    > section
    >
    > Power off the system, open the case and remove the fan from the CPU
    > cooler (this is usually possible). Clean the heatsink find of any
    > accumulated dust etc.

    The CPU temperature, like I said, is 118 F (48 C). I got a new cooler
    and
    it idles at that temperature.

    > If this doesn't turn out to be the prob, I would suspect RAM. Download
    > MemTest 3.2 and run it.

    I'll give that a try. Then again there's also the power supply, too.
    That
    might be going bad. What do you think?

    That`s true, But, testing the RAM is free, and a new PSU is
    gonna cost you.
    So do the RAM test first.
    HTH.
    beenthere, Oct 19, 2006
  10. Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-10-19, <> wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > I've been having this problem for a while with my main computer (I've
    > got 2, but my main one is a lot faster and better). It's been going on
    > for a few months, but as of late (last week or so ) it's gotten much
    > more frequent and quite annoying. The problem is that, apparently
    > spontaneously, the system will reboot itself without warning.

    snip

    Make sure there are no loose or worn power connectors or cables - including
    between the computer and the wall.

    A faulty PS/2 mouse or keyboard can do strange things to a machine.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Oct 19, 2006
  11. Shel-hed Guest

    On 18 Oct 2006 21:49:33 -0700, wrote:

    >Hi.

    snip
    >Any ideas as to what could be causing this? Right now I'm suspecting
    >the power supply. I think it was originally for a Pentium-III level
    >processor (I upgraded after that one failed), so perhaps the current
    >chip, which is P4-level, is putting more of a drain on it? I even
    >suspected my home wiring -- tried plugging the system into different
    >outlets in my home and it's still failing. Thanks for any help.

    Power supply. I've seen this quite a few times, and I'm not even a tech.
    (Friends just treat me like one. At least they bring BEER).
    If your power supply is old, just swap it. When it goes completely, it could
    take out the whole system. Consider it an oil change.
    Shel-hed, Oct 19, 2006
  12. Guest

    beenthere wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    > Gaius Baltar wrote:
    > > On 18 Oct 2006 22:40:42 -0700, wrote:
    > > >Well, I used MotherBoard Monitor (another program) once, and I get a
    > > >CPU
    > > >temp of 118 degrees F and system temp of 75 degrees F.

    > > You mean 75°C, which is quite hot.
    > >

    > No, I meant F, not C. 75 F = 24 C approx.
    >
    > > In BIOS, PC Health might be set to shutdown when temp reaches this
    > > level. Or the temp might be causing some other malfunction. You can
    > > see CPU and other temps in BIOS in the PC health/hardware monitor
    > > section
    > >
    > > Power off the system, open the case and remove the fan from the CPU
    > > cooler (this is usually possible). Clean the heatsink find of any
    > > accumulated dust etc.
    > >

    > The CPU temperature, like I said, is 118 F (48 C). I got a new cooler
    > and
    > it idles at that temperature.
    >
    > > If this doesn't turn out to be the prob, I would suspect RAM. Download
    > > MemTest 3.2 and run it.
    > >

    > I'll give that a try. Then again there's also the power supply, too.
    > That
    > might be going bad. What do you think?
    >

    > That`s true, But, testing the RAM is free, and a new PSU is
    > gonna cost you.
    > So do the RAM test first.
    > HTH.

    Well I'll do that, but I already ordered a new power supply as
    a precaution, because I've heard that if the power supply fails
    completely it can destroy the whole system, including the
    precious hard drives, and I can't afford to lose the data. The
    data is worth more than the few dollars it cost.

    Besides, the power supply that's in there is getting old (I think
    5 years now)...

    Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. I'll see if I can get this
    stuff fixed.
    , Oct 19, 2006
  13. 02befree Guest

    "Shel-hed" <> wrote in message
    > On 18 Oct 2006 21:49:33 -0700, wrote:
    >
    > >Hi.

    > snip
    > >Any ideas as to what could be causing this? Right now I'm suspecting
    > >the power supply. I think it was originally for a Pentium-III level
    > >processor (I upgraded after that one failed), so perhaps the current
    > >chip, which is P4-level, is putting more of a drain on it? I even
    > >suspected my home wiring -- tried plugging the system into different
    > >outlets in my home and it's still failing. Thanks for any help.

    > Power supply. I've seen this quite a few times, and I'm not even a tech.
    > (Friends just treat me like one. At least they bring BEER).
    > If your power supply is old, just swap it. When it goes completely, it

    could
    > take out the whole system. Consider it an oil change.

    I agree. So many times I've seen this and after monkeying around with all
    the other possibilities, the powers supply is many times the culprit.
    Especially if the system is idle when the problem starts. Video cards, RAM,
    drop the bottom out when processing something most of the time.
    AND the temptation of a cheap power supply is more than many can bear.
    02befree, Oct 19, 2006
  14. John Guest

    Do *all* the cooling fans work? I had this prob recently. Answer = new PSU.
    John, Oct 22, 2006