    I've tried 2 different PCs and 3 different programs: DVDFab, DVDXCopy, and DVDShrink. On both PCs and all 3 programs I get the same result. The first half of the movie looks great. But then somewhere after 1/2 way through, it blurs like it has rain fade on a satellite dish - best way I can describe it. I've used Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden, Sony, and one other (can't remember right now).

    Any thoughts or suggestions?

    Thanks.

    rm, Feb 28, 2007

  2. rm

    BigJim Guest

    is this on all movies or just a certain one. If it isn't the media it might be the hardware.
    I have no problems with dvdfab platinum
    Hi again,

    BigJim, Feb 28, 2007

  3. rm

    rm Guest

    It happens on many different movies. Since I'm seeing the same issue on 2 different pcs, I'm wondering what the problem is. It's obvious from all the posts that many folks can copy w/o problems. I just don't know what's causing these. I've turned off everything except the copying program.

    rm, Feb 28, 2007
  4. rm wrote:
    > Hi again,
    >
    > I've tried 2 different PCs and 3 different programs: DVDFab, DVDXCopy,
    > and DVDShrink. On /both/ PCs and all 3 programs I get the same result.
    > The first half of the movie looks great. But then somewhere after 1/2
    > way through, it blurs like it has rain fade on a satellite dish - best
    > way I can describe it. I've used Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden, Sony, and one
    > other (can't remember right now).
    >
    > Any thoughts or suggestions?

    With two different burners?
    It's a mystery, I use two of the three apps above with excellent results

    Mike O'Sullivan, Feb 28, 2007
  5. On 2/27/2007, rm posted this:
    > Hi again,
    >
    > I've tried 2 different PCs and 3 different programs: DVDFab, DVDXCopy, and
    > DVDShrink. On both PCs and all 3 programs I get the same result. The first
    > half of the movie looks great. But then somewhere after 1/2 way through, it
    > blurs like it has rain fade on a satellite dish - best way I can describe it.
    > I've used Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden, Sony, and one other (can't remember right
    > now).
    >
    > Any thoughts or suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I have no idea what rain fade is or looks like, but I wonder if you are
    burning to single layer or dual layer disks.

    If so, perhaps there is a problem in the way the burners or the disks
    deal with the second layer.

    The above is a WAG (I bet that's obvious :) ).

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
    letters617blochg3251

    Gene E. Bloch, Feb 28, 2007
  6. rm

    Smarty Guest

    rm,

    Gene has an extremely likely explanation. If you are not burning dual layer
    disks, however, then use the VIDEO_TS folder on your hard disk from one of
    these "rain fade" examples, and try playing it directly with your PC, thus
    avoiding the step of burning a disk. If the resulting movie looks fine in
    the 2nd half, then the burner / blank disks / or your set-top player are
    suspect. Given that you have tried different brands of top-notch media from
    Verbatim, Sony, and Taiyo Uden, the fault is then most likely in either your
    burner or your player, and you can next trying playing the "faulty" disks on
    other set-top players as well as on your PC to see if they also look like
    "rain fade". By using this logical process of elimination, you should be
    able to isolate the problem to one of these causes.

    Smarty

    Smarty, Feb 28, 2007
  7. rm

    rm Guest

    Excellent suggestion and I'm hoping you are correct since I've copied 30+
    movies already... Both players we use are pretty old. I'll play them back
    on the PC from that folder and give it a test.

    Can you recommend a good DVD player (since ours are like $40 models :)?

    rm, Mar 1, 2007
  8. rm

    Bill's News Guest

    > On 2/27/2007, rm posted this:

    <snip>

    > I have no idea what rain fade is or looks like,

    Obviously it's a value somewhere between 1 (one) and 0 (zero).

    Bill's News, Mar 1, 2007
  9. On 2/28/2007, Bill's News posted this:
    > "Gene E. Bloch" <> wrote in message
    >> On 2/27/2007, rm posted this:

    > <snip>
    >
    >> I have no idea what rain fade is or looks like,

    > Obviously it's a value somewhere between 1 (one) and 0 (zero).

    Is this another preemptive strike by Werner Heisenberg?

    I'm uncertain about this...

    I do have a sneaking suspicion that you just one-upped me with a joke
    that I didn't get, so I'm just going to go home and take a Valium and
    nap.

    Happy March 1 :)

    [...]

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
    letters617blochg3251

    Gene E. Bloch, Mar 1, 2007
  10. "Gene E. Bloch" <> wrote in message
    > On 2/28/2007, Bill's News posted this:
    > > "Gene E. Bloch" <> wrote in message
    > >> On 2/27/2007, rm posted this:

    > > <snip>
    > >
    > >> I have no idea what rain fade is or looks like,

    > > Obviously it's a value somewhere between 1 (one) and 0 (zero).

    > Is this another preemptive strike by Werner Heisenberg?
    >
    > I'm uncertain about this...
    >
    > I do have a sneaking suspicion that you just one-upped me with a joke
    > that I didn't get, so I'm just going to go home and take a Valium and
    > nap.
    >
    > Happy March 1 :)
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > --

    Think "hanging chad"! Obviously that caused brain fade.

    Captain Midnight, Mar 1, 2007
  11. rm

    Smarty Guest

    Or to put it differently:
    Dr. Heisenberg is driving on the freeway and a police officer stops him for
    speeding. Officer walks up to Heisenberg's car and asks him, "Sir, do you
    know how fast you are going?" Dr. Heisenberg replies: "Officer, I have no
    idea how fast I am going, but I know exactly where I am."

    :)

    Smarty

    Smarty, Mar 1, 2007
  12. rm

    Smarty Guest

    Or, better yet:

    Historians have concluded that Heisenberg must have been contemplating
    his love life when he discovered the Uncertainty Principle:

    -When he had the time, he didn't have the energy

    and,

    -When the moment was right, he couldn't figure out the position...

    Smarty

    Smarty, Mar 1, 2007