Spoilers in DVD main menus

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Opticreep, Feb 22, 2004.

  1. Opticreep

    Opticreep Guest

    My biggest gripe about DVDs these days are the fancy menus. I detest
    those things. More often than not, these menus will show snippets,
    pictures, & clips of key scenes in the movie... spoilers, if you will.
    I plug in the Crouching Tiger DVD, and voila! Before I even watch the
    movie, I already see the penultimate combat sequence playing in its
    entirety right before my eyes. I plug in one of the discs in the "24"
    2nd season set, and voila! Before I even watch the show, I'm treated
    to a picture of a main character's death scene. WTF are these DVD
    makers thinking, anyway?

    And this isn't just a gripe about spoilers either. It's also about
    practicality.

    A whole bunch of these DVDs will have looping sequences in the main
    menu. You plug in the DVD, and the sequence will loop over and over
    and over again (ad infinitum). This causes the DVD drive to start,
    read, and stop with each loop. You can have the DVD drive
    start-and-stop about two or three times a minute... making it
    extremely annoying to have the main menu on-screen while you're
    waiting for people before a movie (fixing munchies, going to the
    bathroom, talking, etc).

    And as we all know, we have ALL made the mistake of forgetting to turn
    off the DVD at night after we turn off the TV. If you happen to leave
    your DVD running in the main menu, you'll have the DVD drive going
    through the "start-read-stop" loop 2 or 3 times a minute every minute
    for the next 12 hours or so. Something like that could signficantly
    shorten your fancy DVD player's lifespan.

    So in conclusion, I think DVD menus should go back to having simple
    point-and-click interface without spoilers and without active
    backgrounds. And all the DVD producers responsible for that crap (you
    can see their names in the DVD credits) should be shot dead and
    dragged to the streets for display as a warning for future DVD
    producers. Thank you for your time.

    Opticreep, Feb 22, 2004

  2. Opticreep

    McQualude Guest

    (Opticreep) said:

    > extremely annoying to have the main menu on-screen while you're
    > waiting for people before a movie (fixing munchies, going to the
    > bathroom, talking, etc).

    That what the extras are for. I usually play a few short extras while
    everyone is getting their shit together. They can damn well wait 20
    seconds once they're ready for the movie to get started.
    --
    McQualude

    McQualude, Feb 22, 2004

  3. Opticreep

    Nonymous Guest

    > I plug in one of the discs in the "24"
    > 2nd season set, and voila! Before I even watch the show, I'm treated
    > to a picture of a main character's death scene.

    They seriously did that? Holy crap.

    Nonymous, Feb 22, 2004
  4. Opticreep

    pRot3us Guest

    Barton Fink too, shows you a significant scene right near the end of the
    film
    idiots!!

    Sean

    pRot3us, Feb 22, 2004
  5. Opticreep

    Mark W Guest

    "Opticreep" <> wrote in message
    > My biggest gripe about DVDs these days are the fancy menus. I detest
    > those things. More often than not, these menus will show snippets,
    > pictures, & clips of key scenes in the movie... spoilers, if you will.

    I'd guess the trouble is that the menu designers will assume you've already
    seen the movie at the cinema, or the TV series on the TV, so you won't mind
    too much,

    I find it worse to open the case and see what amounts to a plot resumee on
    the booklet or inside cover (the chapter listing) where I have to avert my
    eyes!

    Mark W, Feb 22, 2004
  6. Opticreep

    Justin Guest

    Mark W wrote on [Sun, 22 Feb 2004 21:00:42 -0000]:

    > "Opticreep" <> wrote in message
    >> My biggest gripe about DVDs these days are the fancy menus. I detest
    >> those things. More often than not, these menus will show snippets,
    >> pictures, & clips of key scenes in the movie... spoilers, if you will.

    > I'd guess the trouble is that the menu designers will assume you've already
    > seen the movie at the cinema, or the TV series on the TV, so you won't mind
    > too much,
    >
    > I find it worse to open the case and see what amounts to a plot resumee on
    > the booklet or inside cover (the chapter listing) where I have to avert my
    > eyes!

    I find it worse that some stupid DVDs don't let you get to the control
    portion of the menu for way too long. Sure, I may be able to push skip
    or whatever, But a menu should be active the second it's shown, not
    after some random video clip has been loaded and starts playing, or a
    soundtrack or whatever.

    And look at the original Planet of the Apes for the ultimate in BS
    spoilers

    Justin, Feb 22, 2004
  7. The Criterion version of The Lady Vanishes has a photo from the movie on
    the essay booklet that gives away a spoiler.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Feb 23, 2004
  8. Opticreep

    Del March Guest

    << A whole bunch of these DVDs will have looping sequences in the main
    menu. You plug in the DVD, and the sequence will loop over and over
    and over again (ad infinitum). This causes the DVD drive to start,
    read, and stop with each loop. You can have the DVD drive
    start-and-stop about two or three times a minute... making it
    extremely annoying to have the main menu on-screen while you're
    waiting for people before a movie (fixing munchies, going to the
    bathroom, talking, etc). >><BR><BR>
    How's about those video/record stores that play a DVD on the TV that hangs from
    the ceiling, and don't bother to turn it off once the movie is over? Guess
    what, it goes back to the menu and plays forever and makes for an irritating
    shopping experience.

    Del March, Feb 23, 2004
  9. Opticreep

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "Opticreep" <> wrote in message
    > My biggest gripe about DVDs these days are the fancy menus.

    Besides your reasons, which I agree with, I think of them as sheer bloat,
    that serve no useful purpose with regards to content whatsoever. I wish all
    DVD menus were simply that: text menus with a background behind them.
    Simple and to the point, without wasting my time watching pointless
    animations that add nothing to the presentation except annoyance.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Feb 23, 2004
  10. Opticreep

    jayembee Guest

    "Mike Kohary" <> wrote:

    >Besides your reasons, which I agree with, I think of them as sheer bloat,
    >that serve no useful purpose with regards to content whatsoever. I wish all
    >DVD menus were simply that: text menus with a background behind them.
    >Simple and to the point, without wasting my time watching pointless
    >animations that add nothing to the presentation except annoyance.

    To a point. Not all animated menus are created equal. A lot of them
    *are* far too elaborate, but some are simply enough and can provide
    their own amusment value. The ones one the FUTURAMA sets, for example.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Feb 23, 2004
  11. Opticreep

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "jayembee" <> wrote in message
    > "Mike Kohary" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Besides your reasons, which I agree with, I think of them as sheer bloat,
    > >that serve no useful purpose with regards to content whatsoever. I wish

    all
    > >DVD menus were simply that: text menus with a background behind them.
    > >Simple and to the point, without wasting my time watching pointless
    > >animations that add nothing to the presentation except annoyance.

    > To a point. Not all animated menus are created equal. A lot of them
    > *are* far too elaborate, but some are simply enough and can provide
    > their own amusment value. The ones one the FUTURAMA sets, for example.

    Good point. There are some animated menus that don't overdo it and pretty
    much stay out of the way, like the Futurama discs (looking forward to Season
    3 in a couple of weeks). But mostly, I prefer static menus.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Feb 23, 2004
  12. From on top of The Wall I yelled "YOU! YES YOU jayembee
    <>! Stand still laddie. Oh, and which one is
    Pink?"
    > To a point. Not all animated menus are created equal. A lot of them
    > *are* far too elaborate, but some are simply enough and can provide
    > their own amusment value. The ones one the FUTURAMA sets, for example.

    The "Family Guy" menus are sweet. :)

    --
    Demolition Man
    A reminder to the world....

    Demolition Man, Feb 28, 2004
  13. Opticreep

    Stan Brown Guest

    It seems "Demolition Man" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >From on top of The Wall I yelled "YOU! YES YOU jayembee
    ><>! Stand still laddie. Oh, and which one is
    >Pink?"
    >> To a point. Not all animated menus are created equal. A lot of them
    >> *are* far too elaborate, but some are simply enough and can provide
    >> their own amusment value. The ones one the FUTURAMA sets, for example.

    >The "Family Guy" menus are sweet. :)

    I agree, mostly. The "sound bites" from each episode are funny on
    their own, yet don't reveal important plot points.

    But IIRC the menus lack a "play all".

    http://OakRoadSystems.com

    Stan Brown, Feb 28, 2004
  14. "Stan Brown" <> wrote in message
    > It seems "Demolition Man" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > >From on top of The Wall I yelled "YOU! YES YOU jayembee
    > ><>! Stand still laddie. Oh, and which one is
    > >Pink?"
    > >> To a point. Not all animated menus are created equal. A lot of them
    > >> *are* far too elaborate, but some are simply enough and can provide
    > >> their own amusment value. The ones one the FUTURAMA sets, for example.

    > >The "Family Guy" menus are sweet. :)

    > I agree, mostly. The "sound bites" from each episode are funny on
    > their own, yet don't reveal important plot points.
    >
    > But IIRC the menus lack a "play all".

    Its there, the last selection on the main menu.

    Demolition Man, Feb 28, 2004
  15. Opticreep

    Stan Brown Guest

    It seems "Demolition Man" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >"Stan Brown" <> wrote in message
    >> It seems "Demolition Man" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >> >From on top of The Wall I yelled "YOU! YES YOU jayembee
    >> >The "Family Guy" menus are sweet. :)

    >> But IIRC the menus lack a "play all".

    >It's there, the last selection on the main menu.

    Good thing I covered myself with that "IIRC". :)

    Maybe I was thinking of the Simpsons, or Rocky & Bullwinkle, or
    something.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com

    Stan Brown, Feb 28, 2004
  16. I like the Superbit menus. No animated intros or transitions between menu
    screens.

    Remove "moc" to reply.

    When toy shopping, look for the Joe Mantegna Seal Of Safety. It's your only
    guarantee that the toy has been deemed safe by Joe Mantegna.

    Sydney Assbasket, Feb 29, 2004