splwow64.exe causes RDP Sessions to Hang After Closing Application

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?dnNvYXJlcw==?=, Sep 12, 2007.

  1. Hi!

    I have several users connected through terminal services to a windows server
    2003 64 bit. When a user sends some document to printer and tries to close
    session it hangs for several minutes.

    After searching, i found some articles
    (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923357/en-us) pointing this issue. This
    occurs because there is a process (Splwow64.exe) that remains in memory for
    several minutes. This process is used to convert between 32 bit and 64 bit
    applications. This process remains in memory in order to increase system
    performance and unloads from memory after a specified time from the end of
    the last job. We can specify this time adding or editing the registry key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\SplWOW64TimeOut
    (DWORD) and setting here the number of minutes to stay in memory before
    unloading.

    Although this can be good for performance, it causes RDP sessions to hang
    when short time has passed after the user has done his last print and tries
    to close the session. The minimum value we can set SplWOW64TimeOut is 1. If
    we set it to 0, the application just hangs completely.
    Is there any way to set this process to unload as soon as the job ends?

    =?Utf-8?B?dnNvYXJlcw==?=, Sep 12, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?dnNvYXJlcw==?=

    BMTaylor10 Guest

    BMTaylor10, May 5, 2009

  3. Hello BMTaylor10
    try this:

    Add a REG_DWORD called "splwow64.exe" to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal
    Server\SysProcs
    set the value to 0

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]