Splitting VGA signal

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Miguel, May 21, 2007.

  1. Miguel

    Miguel Guest

    Hello, anybody got any experience splititng VGA signal's? Just bought
    a new 40" LCD and want to split the VGA signal from my PC to both my
    monitor and LCD.

    Plans are to use either a y-splitter or a non-amplified switch box.
    The monitor is right next to the PC, but the LCD will need a 10m cable
    (will buy a reasonable quality one). Will I get away with this? If I
    use the y-splitter, I will have no need to use the monitor/LCD at the
    same time.

    Also, don't have the manual with me, but it's capable of 1080p. Pretty
    sure it said to use 1080x768. Will I be able to setup my graphics card
    to output a progressive signal or is this dependant on the card I
    have?

    Any advice appreciated, thanks

    Miguel
     
    Miguel, May 21, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Miguel

    JANA Guest

    There is a special box for that. You cannot simply split a monitor signal.
    It is a bit complex with multiple channels for the colour, and there are
    sync signals involved. Also, the termination impedance has to be matched.
    The monitor splitter box has some processing and isolation circuits in it
    using some IC's and components.

    The better solution may be to change the display card for a double header
    card that is designed to drive two monitors. With this there will be better
    flexibility. The LCD monitor will work best in its native mode. If its
    native mode is not ideal for two different types of monitors, the monitor
    splitter box will not be ideal. At least with a descent dual head display
    card, you should be able to run a different resolution rate for each
    monitor.

    --

    JANA
    _____


    "Miguel" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    Hello, anybody got any experience splititng VGA signal's? Just bought
    a new 40" LCD and want to split the VGA signal from my PC to both my
    monitor and LCD.

    Plans are to use either a y-splitter or a non-amplified switch box.
    The monitor is right next to the PC, but the LCD will need a 10m cable
    (will buy a reasonable quality one). Will I get away with this? If I
    use the y-splitter, I will have no need to use the monitor/LCD at the
    same time.

    Also, don't have the manual with me, but it's capable of 1080p. Pretty
    sure it said to use 1080x768. Will I be able to setup my graphics card
    to output a progressive signal or is this dependant on the card I
    have?

    Any advice appreciated, thanks

    Miguel
     
    JANA, May 22, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. JANA wrote:
    > There is a special box for that. You cannot simply split a monitor signal.
    > It is a bit complex with multiple channels for the colour, and there are
    > sync signals involved. Also, the termination impedance has to be matched.
    > The monitor splitter box has some processing and isolation circuits in it
    > using some IC's and components.
    >
    > The better solution may be to change the display card for a double header
    > card that is designed to drive two monitors. With this there will be better
    > flexibility. The LCD monitor will work best in its native mode. If its
    > native mode is not ideal for two different types of monitors, the monitor
    > splitter box will not be ideal. At least with a descent dual head display
    > card, you should be able to run a different resolution rate for each
    > monitor.
    >

    Does this mean my KVM switch won't work anymore?
     
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 22, 2007
    #3
  4. Miguel

    PeeCee Guest

    "Miguel" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello, anybody got any experience splititng VGA signal's? Just bought
    > a new 40" LCD and want to split the VGA signal from my PC to both my
    > monitor and LCD.
    >
    > Plans are to use either a y-splitter or a non-amplified switch box.
    > The monitor is right next to the PC, but the LCD will need a 10m cable
    > (will buy a reasonable quality one). Will I get away with this? If I
    > use the y-splitter, I will have no need to use the monitor/LCD at the
    > same time.
    >
    > Also, don't have the manual with me, but it's capable of 1080p. Pretty
    > sure it said to use 1080x768. Will I be able to setup my graphics card
    > to output a progressive signal or is this dependant on the card I
    > have?
    >
    > Any advice appreciated, thanks
    >
    > Miguel
    >


    Came across a desktop PC some time back with a 3 metre extension added to
    the monitor VGA lead to allow the box to be located more conveniently.
    The quality of display was abismal, ghosting, fuzzy... very hard to work
    with.
    The extension was swapped out for a 2 metre one of apparently no better
    quality and the screen improved to what one would normally expect.
    From that it would seem VGA does not extend well and you may be better of
    with using S Video if your graphics card has such an outlet.

    I would think a simple y-splitter inadequate and you would need to look at
    buffered splitters to isolate the effects of the 10m cable from the output
    to your normal monitor.

    Various examples : http://www.national-tech.com/catalog/vgasplitter.htm

    Best
    Paul.
     
    PeeCee, May 22, 2007
    #4
  5. Miguel

    Ron Martell Guest

    "PeeCee" <> wrote:


    >
    >Came across a desktop PC some time back with a 3 metre extension added to
    >the monitor VGA lead to allow the box to be located more conveniently.
    >The quality of display was abismal, ghosting, fuzzy... very hard to work
    >with.
    >The extension was swapped out for a 2 metre one of apparently no better
    >quality and the screen improved to what one would normally expect.
    >From that it would seem VGA does not extend well and you may be better of
    >with using S Video if your graphics card has such an outlet.
    >
    >I would think a simple y-splitter inadequate and you would need to look at
    >buffered splitters to isolate the effects of the 10m cable from the output
    >to your normal monitor.
    >


    I have used good quality 10 metre VGA cables successfully, most
    recently in an appliciance store where they wanted to show web pages
    from an online catalog on a large screen TV with VGA input. Works
    just fine, but this is with a dual-head video card and not a
    Y-Splitter VGA cable.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2008)
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    Syberfix Remote Computer Repair

    "Anyone who thinks that they are too small to make a difference
    has never been in bed with a mosquito."
     
    Ron Martell, May 22, 2007
    #5
  6. Miguel

    Wilber Guest

    What about going the OTHER way? I'd like to keep my 19" LCD hooked up
    to my desktop PC but have another monitor cable extending from the LCD
    that I could plug into my laptop from time to time. Are their special
    cables/peripherals for that? Special cautions? I tried some sort of
    cabling system I bought at Best Buy where you plug your monitor,
    keyboard and mouse into a box and then plug one set of cables coming
    from that box having the same connectors into your desktop and a second
    set of cables into your laptop. My PC wouldn't recognize the keyboard
    in that configuration so it wouldn't boot. Is there an easier way to do
    this?
    WC

    Miguel wrote:
    > Hello, anybody got any experience splititng VGA signal's? Just bought
    > a new 40" LCD and want to split the VGA signal from my PC to both my
    > monitor and LCD.
    >
    > Plans are to use either a y-splitter or a non-amplified switch box.
    > The monitor is right next to the PC, but the LCD will need a 10m cable
    > (will buy a reasonable quality one). Will I get away with this? If I
    > use the y-splitter, I will have no need to use the monitor/LCD at the
    > same time.
    >
    > Also, don't have the manual with me, but it's capable of 1080p. Pretty
    > sure it said to use 1080x768. Will I be able to setup my graphics card
    > to output a progressive signal or is this dependant on the card I
    > have?
    >
    > Any advice appreciated, thanks
    >
    > Miguel
    >
     
    Wilber, May 22, 2007
    #6
  7. Miguel

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > JANA wrote:
    >> There is a special box for that. You cannot simply split a monitor
    >> signal. It is a bit complex with multiple channels for the colour, and
    >> there are sync signals involved. Also, the termination impedance has
    >> to be matched. The monitor splitter box has some processing and
    >> isolation circuits in it using some IC's and components.
    >>
    >> The better solution may be to change the display card for a double
    >> header card that is designed to drive two monitors. With this there
    >> will be better flexibility. The LCD monitor will work best in its
    >> native mode. If its native mode is not ideal for two different types
    >> of monitors, the monitor splitter box will not be ideal. At least with
    >> a descent dual head display card, you should be able to run a
    >> different resolution rate for each monitor.
    >>

    > Does this mean my KVM switch won't work anymore?


    :) your KVM is the "special box" (-:
     
    Rick Merrill, May 22, 2007
    #7
  8. Miguel

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Wilber wrote:
    > What about going the OTHER way? I'd like to keep my 19" LCD hooked up
    > to my desktop PC but have another monitor cable extending from the LCD
    > that I could plug into my laptop from time to time. Are their special
    > cables/peripherals for that? Special cautions? I tried some sort of
    > cabling system I bought at Best Buy where you plug your monitor,
    > keyboard and mouse into a box and then plug one set of cables coming
    > from that box having the same connectors into your desktop and a second
    > set of cables into your laptop. My PC wouldn't recognize the keyboard
    > in that configuration so it wouldn't boot.


    That sounds like a KVM (keyboard video monitor) mentioned above. Note
    that as soon as you power up you must switch the KVM to the newly
    powered system (immediately) so that the new system BIOS boots WITH
    the KVM connected.

    Hope I didn't misunderstand your requirement.
     
    Rick Merrill, May 22, 2007
    #8
  9. Miguel

    PeeCee Guest

    "Ron Martell" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > "PeeCee" <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>
    >>Came across a desktop PC some time back with a 3 metre extension added to
    >>the monitor VGA lead to allow the box to be located more conveniently.
    >>The quality of display was abismal, ghosting, fuzzy... very hard to work
    >>with.
    >>The extension was swapped out for a 2 metre one of apparently no better
    >>quality and the screen improved to what one would normally expect.
    >>From that it would seem VGA does not extend well and you may be better of
    >>with using S Video if your graphics card has such an outlet.
    >>
    >>I would think a simple y-splitter inadequate and you would need to look at
    >>buffered splitters to isolate the effects of the 10m cable from the output
    >>to your normal monitor.
    >>

    >
    > I have used good quality 10 metre VGA cables successfully, most
    > recently in an appliciance store where they wanted to show web pages
    > from an online catalog on a large screen TV with VGA input. Works
    > just fine, but this is with a dual-head video card and not a
    > Y-Splitter VGA cable.
    >
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2008)
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    > Syberfix Remote Computer Repair
    >
    > "Anyone who thinks that they are too small to make a difference
    > has never been in bed with a mosquito."


    Thanks for the comment Ron, good to know it can work, albeit with the dual
    head caveat.
    Interesting link posted the other day in nz.comp :
    http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/whats-the-matter-with-hdmi
    It is about HDMI but relevant to sending video over long distances:


    Cheers
    Paul.
     
    PeeCee, May 22, 2007
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Bangla Deszcz

    voip - splitting ISDN channel

    Bangla Deszcz, Jul 13, 2003, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,353
    Bangla Deszcz
    Jul 13, 2003
  2. bjones

    Standard VGA driver (vga.sys)

    bjones, Sep 14, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    21,948
    bjones
    Sep 14, 2003
  3. Daniel

    VGA Box (AV/S-Video to VGA adapter)

    Daniel, Aug 17, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    6,629
    Daniel
    Aug 17, 2004
  4. MapleE.

    No Signal and Signal 'Low'

    MapleE., Mar 20, 2010, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,332
    MapleE.
    Mar 20, 2010
  5. MapleE.

    Signal is 'Low,' or 'No Signal'

    MapleE., Mar 20, 2010, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,526
    farneville
    Apr 6, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page