Splitting Network On a VLAN

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by da.carlo@gmail.com, May 11, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    I have a VLAN (145) with two networks configured on it. I am trying
    to split the network across two VLANs.

    What I have done is create a second VLAN 805, create a interface vlan
    and add the IP address of the second network.

    The equipment is a C6506 and C3750G. I have a port on the C6506 as
    switchport access vlan 805 and one on the C3750G as switchport access
    vlan 145. I used a crossover cable to connect the ports together.
    The C6506 is linked to the C3750G via a trunk with both V145 and V805
    as allowed vlans on the trunk.

    By connecting the two VLAN's I am combining the broadcast domains. I
    should be able to see devices on the same network (IP range)
    regardless of which VLAN they are connected to. The problem is I can
    not see devices on VLAN 145 from VLAN 805 and vice versa (same IP
    range).

    Any ideas on what might be wrong?

    Thank you.

    Carlo

    , May 11, 2007

  2. linguafr Guest

    1. access switchports are for end users, i.e. hosts
    2. the uplink between the two switches should be a trunk port with
    both vlans allowed - if you don't specify they're all allowed
    3. you need to have a layer 3 interface for each vlan which will be
    the default gateways for the respective vlans. you can use a vlan int
    on the switches or another routing device as the default gateways.

    linguafr, May 12, 2007

  3. Guest

    On May 11, 8:37 pm, linguafr <> wrote:
    > 1. access switchports are for end users, i.e. hosts
    > 2. the uplink between the two switches should be a trunk port with
    > both vlans allowed - if you don't specify they're all allowed
    > 3. you need to have a layer 3 interface for each vlan which will be
    > the default gateways for the respective vlans. you can use a vlan int
    > on the switches or another routing device as the default gateways.

    I think what I am trying to do is not clear.

    I have one VLAN with two networks configured VLAN 145 10.0.0.0/23 and
    192.168.55.0/23

    I am trying to seperate the networks into two seperate VLANs.

    VLAN 145 10.0.0.0/23
    VLAN 805 192.168.55.0/23

    Instead of of having to go out and change 80+ devices at one time I am
    creating the new vlan 805 adding the vlan interface address of
    192.168.55.1/23 and removing it form vlan 145. Then using a cross
    connect between one switchport on vlan 145 and one on vlan 805 I am
    connecting the two vlans. This should allow devices on vlan 145 in
    the address range of 192.168.55.0/23 to connect to the routed
    interface vlan 192.168.55.1 configured on vlan 805.

    Trunking the link keeps the vlans seperate. Cisco VLANs also maintain
    a seprate mac-address table for each VLAN. There shouldn't be a
    problem here either.

    Switchport access vlans are untagged therefore traffic from vlan 145
    should mix with vlan 805. Broadcasts should propogate and traffic
    should pass unhindered. Both ports should work as a switch port.
    Learn mac-addresses on either side and send traffic when appropriate.

    Both Cisco's are running IOS. The 6506 has Version 12.2(18)SXE5 and
    the 3750 has Version 12.2(25r)SEB1.

    Perhaps something proprietary with Cisco IOS is causing the problem?

    , May 14, 2007