Splitting Cable Connection

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Sparky, Dec 5, 2010.

  1. Sparky

    Sparky Guest

    I am trying to help a friend configure an Apple Airport Express for wireless
    music streaming on Vista.

    My first attempt at configuring the Airport at her home didn't work so for
    my second attempt I brought her computer and the Airport to my place and
    successfully configured the Airport ( eventually ) connected to my network
    using my dLink router.

    When I returned and connected to her Linksys router , it didn't work (
    thinking about it now , I'm not surprised ...). Her router is not properly
    configured anyway , so I'd like to reset it and start again...then
    configure the Airport

    I'm going to make another attempt , bringing her computer , her Linksys
    router and the Airport home once again. We both use the same cable ISP and
    the same Motorola modem provided by the ISP

    My concern is that I don't want to connect my computer to her router ,
    while I work on everything , for fear of screwing up something on my
    network including my wireless printer.

    I could disconnect my dlink and just connect her linksys to my modem and go
    from there , but as this will probably take some time , I'd also like to be
    able to use my own computer at the same time. I wondered if I put a splitter
    before the modem and then sent a line to my dLink and her Linksys , would I
    able to be work on both at the same time without any major issues ? ( apart
    from perhaps a speed reduction ?)

    I hope this isn't too confusing...
    TIA
    Sparky, Dec 5, 2010