    PS. If this is the wrong Newsgroup or there is another that I should
    refer to, please excuse and advise the correct newsgroup for this type
    of query.
    DD, Nov 29, 2008

  2. DD

    M.L. Guest

    > I have a few home movie dvd's that I want to combine, some will need to
    >be be split up and inserted into some of the other videos. This is
    >because I have a lot of old 8mm movies that I have converted to DVD's
    >and they are all mixed up. I am completely confused by the information I
    >have read on the Net and need to know how I can accomplish this. Since
    >this is a one off situation, I need to use free programs where
    >possible. Any help that will enable me to convert my DVD's or the .IFO
    >files to a format that I can edit would be appreciated as would
    >directions as to how these files can be merged and combined to make a
    >movie would be appreciated.

    Use Video Edit Master to edit (split) your unencrypted VOB files and
    recombine them (you'll need to rename the VOB file extensions to MPG).
    If renaming the VOB extensions to MPG doesn't work as input, you'll
    need to convert the VOBs to MPGs the proper way by using a dedicated
    converter like VOB2MPG. Try to keep the total length of the final
    video under 2 hours for best results.

    Use Free Videos To DVD to reauthor your MPEG files and burn to DVD, or
    to reauthor and create a VIDEO_TS DVD folder for further processing.
    Try to keep the total size of the final (single-sided) DVD under 4.3
    GB.

    If necessary, use DVD Shrink or ShrinkTo5 to shrink your VIDEO_TS DVD
    folder contents to fit a single-sided (4.3 GB DVD5 size) DVD.

    Video Edit Master (splitter/joiner, no reencoding)
    Input: AVI, MPEG1, MPEG2
    Output: AVI, MPEG1, MPEG2
    OS: Win 2000/XP/2003/Vista
    http://software.tutorialsroom.com/

    VOB2MPG
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VOB2MPG

    Free Videos To DVD (also burns to DVD, optional adware installs)
    Input: AVI, MPEG1, MPEG2, WMV
    Output: DVD, ISO, VOB (VIDEO_TS folder)
    OS: Win 2000/XP/2003/Vista
    www.koyotesoft.com/indexEn.html

    DVD Shrink
    Input: VOB (VIDEO_TS folder)
    Output: VOB (VIDEO_TS folder)
    OS: Win 98/ME/2000/XP/2003/Vista
    http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4020

    ShrinkTo5
    Input: VOB (VIDEO_TS folder)
    Output: VOB (VIDEO_TS folder)
    OS: Win 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista
    http://www.photo-freeware.net/shrinkto5.php
    M.L., Nov 29, 2008

  3. DD

    DD Guest

    Thank you for your complete and very well laid out answer. I have
    started on the job and have had no trouble so far; the renaming of the
    ..VOB extension worked like a charm. I am not sure how to divide up the
    video so that there is only 2 hours on each DVD so I might have to use
    Dvd Shrink as you suggest.

    Thanks again
    DD

    DD, Dec 1, 2008
  4. DD

    M.L. Guest

    >>> I have a few home movie dvd's that I want to combine, some will need to
    >>> be be split up and inserted into some of the other videos. This is
    >>> because I have a lot of old 8mm movies that I have converted to DVD's
    >>> and they are all mixed up. I am completely confused by the information I
    >>> have read on the Net and need to know how I can accomplish this. Since
    >>> this is a one off situation, I need to use free programs where
    >>> possible. Any help that will enable me to convert my DVD's or the .IFO
    >>> files to a format that I can edit would be appreciated as would
    >>> directions as to how these files can be merged and combined to make a
    >>> movie would be appreciated.

    >> Use Video Edit Master to edit (split) your unencrypted VOB files and
    >> recombine them (you'll need to rename the VOB file extensions to MPG).
    >> If renaming the VOB extensions to MPG doesn't work as input, you'll
    >> need to convert the VOBs to MPGs the proper way by using a dedicated
    >> converter like VOB2MPG. Try to keep the total length of the final
    >> video under 2 hours for best results.
    >>
    >> Use Free Videos To DVD to reauthor your MPEG files and burn to DVD, or
    >> to reauthor and create a VIDEO_TS DVD folder for further processing.
    >> Try to keep the total size of the final (single-sided) DVD under 4.3
    >> GB.
    >>
    >> If necessary, use DVD Shrink or ShrinkTo5 to shrink your VIDEO_TS DVD
    >> folder contents to fit a single-sided (4.3 GB DVD5 size) DVD.
    >>
    >> Video Edit Master (splitter/joiner, no reencoding)
    >> Input: AVI, MPEG1, MPEG2
    >> Output: AVI, MPEG1, MPEG2
    >> OS: Win 2000/XP/2003/Vista
    >> http://software.tutorialsroom.com/
    >>
    >> VOB2MPG
    >> http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VOB2MPG
    >>
    >> Free Videos To DVD (also burns to DVD, optional adware installs)
    >> Input: AVI, MPEG1, MPEG2, WMV
    >> Output: DVD, ISO, VOB (VIDEO_TS folder)
    >> OS: Win 2000/XP/2003/Vista
    >> www.koyotesoft.com/indexEn.html
    >>
    >> DVD Shrink
    >> Input: VOB (VIDEO_TS folder)
    >> Output: VOB (VIDEO_TS folder)
    >> OS: Win 98/ME/2000/XP/2003/Vista
    >> http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4020
    >>
    >> ShrinkTo5
    >> Input: VOB (VIDEO_TS folder)
    >> Output: VOB (VIDEO_TS folder)
    >> OS: Win 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista
    >> http://www.photo-freeware.net/shrinkto5.php

    > Thank you for your complete and very well laid out answer. I have
    >started on the job and have had no trouble so far; the renaming of the
    >.VOB extension worked like a charm. I am not sure how to divide up the
    >video so that there is only 2 hours on each DVD so I might have to use
    >Dvd Shrink as you suggest.

    As you add each video file to Video Edit Master you can find the total
    length of all those files when you look at the bottom of it's
    "Included Segments" section, then notice the "Total Duration" label.
    M.L., Dec 1, 2008
  5. DD

    DD Guest

    >> Thank you for your complete and very well laid out answer. I have
    >> started on the job and have had no trouble so far; the renaming of the
    >> .VOB extension worked like a charm. I am not sure how to divide up the
    >> video so that there is only 2 hours on each DVD so I might have to use
    >> Dvd Shrink as you suggest.

    > As you add each video file to Video Edit Master you can find the total
    > length of all those files when you look at the bottom of it's
    > "Included Segments" section, then notice the "Total Duration" label.

    Thanks for the advice, I had already picked that up. When I said I was
    not sure how to divide up my video, I meant where to make the physical
    breaks!
    I have got a bit of a problem at the moment Video Edit Master keeps
    freezing but I am almost certain that my computer is the culprit, it
    needed defragging and I have not checked for ad-ware lately.
    I will also need to remove the sound of the 8mm projector which is
    being picked up by the video camera, any ideas?

    DD
    DD, Dec 1, 2008
  6. DD

    M.L. Guest

    > I will also need to remove the sound of the 8mm projector which is
    >being picked up by the video camera, any ideas?

    The results might never be satisfying, but you can try Audacity to
    remove a consistent noise by sampling a small section of the audio
    containing only noise, and use it's noise filter to rid the entire
    video of it.

    http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4427
    M.L., Dec 2, 2008