    an issue as there is a front end password that the likely user is
    unlikely to work around. I just need a warning screen to make them
    think.
    nod99, Jul 27, 2005

  2. nod99

    Winged Guest

    nod99 wrote:
    > Sorry to ask this as I'm sure it's obvious to those with more
    > experience!
    >
    > I have a dual boot machine that uses the boot.ini file to default to Win
    > 98SE or by choice to XP.
    >
    > Could I let it default into 98 and then give a text screen with Accept /
    > Reject buttons? I would like certain folk to see a 'security' type
    > warning to make them think before they access that OS. XP is not really
    > an issue as there is a front end password that the likely user is
    > unlikely to work around. I just need a warning screen to make them
    > think.

    Yes easy just modify the registry.

    Windows 95 and Windows 98
    To enable a warning message, modify the following registry key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    The string values will appear on the logon banner.

    Example:
    "LegalNoticeCaption"="Important Notice:"
    "LegalNoticeText"="No Unauthorized access allowed"

    In NT and later:

    SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    Add or modify the following values:
    Name Data Type Value
    LegalNoticeCaption REG_SZ Dialog Caption
    LegalNoticeText REG_SZ Dialog Message

    Obviously in the you can place whatever text you want in your banner.

    Winged
    Winged, Jul 28, 2005